Need some advice asap

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by chris573, Mar 15, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I applied for the royal marines a few weeks ago, and past my psychometric and interview. BUT i thought my fitness was ready but looking at all the test to come i think i am no were near ready...

At what stage in my navy application can i change what i am going for?

Thanks hoe someone can help me
  2. At any stage of the application process. I'd give it a bit of thought though, it's the rest of your life.

At what stage fitness wise do you feel you'll fall? You can always put things back to give yourself more time to train.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app
  3. The gym test and upper body stuff. i practice and working on it and fail badly, sit ups im strong at but my push ups are almost laughable... I can do one to the correct form the marines require, I think i set myself to to higher goal
  4. OMM

OMM War Hero

What are you looking to change to?

If you've only recently applied for RM then you have time to work on your weaknesses. You want be required to perform a push up until PRMC. If that's what you want then go for it.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  6. I was originally applying RM. Went to PRMC twice before I figured out I'd bitten off more than I could chew.

What's your training routine like?

7. what you going for now? I train really hard, pt 5 days a week,
  8. Comms Tech.
    I still train as hard as I did while applying RM. Have you had a look at the scoring system for PRMC?

9. ye i had look at the scoring systemi
  10. What's your run time and maximum push ups, sit ups and pull ups?

11. I think he said that his maximum push ups, is one. I have a funny feeling that that might not be enough!
  12. run times around 9.30 at the moment, pull ups is 3 , i cant do the marine press ups, and sit ups 79
  13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

To become a Royal Marine, the phrase "It's a State of Mind" very much applies. Primarily it means "Believe in Yourself" and it means "Don't give up" or "Don't Wrap". A lot of people like the idea, but wholly underestimate what is required. The more shrewd take less time to achieve failure.

To my mind, whilst many would scoff or disagree, becoming a Commando, a Diver or a Para for that matter, is akin to joining special forces and that is why they were all termed 'special ops' during WW2. The standard entry and training criteria remains unchanged.

If you have what it takes, you'll prepare yourself adequately and pass selection.

Ultimately, your call, all you need do to change your branch is speak to your careers adviser sooner rather than later.

Don't go for a fallback option which you later regret and be aware if you later aspire to transfer to the Corps, your former service record affects it and there is always a return of service required if you complete training for a different job (usually 30 months) before you can consider transferring or leaving to apply afresh.

Good luck.
    • Like Like x 1