Need Medical advice ASAP!

Hi, I am 16 years old I am just about to finish my GCSEs and wish to join the Royal Navy, its been a life long ambition, and I have had a naval family since the 1800s. I did however receive the news that I am not eligible to be "a military man" by a doctor due to a heart condition, I have a Congenital heart defect which was repaired with a small metal piece to block a valve. I have now been left with a mild heart mummer. I have checked the medical PDF although sadly I find it very vague. If anyone knows any up to date news on whether or not I can serve in the royal navy please let me know. I am quite fit I am able to keep up with the other lads at school during fitness training, we completed a reduced version of Royal Marine training programme which again I was able in it, although I don't know if they will allow me to join solely due to my medical records.

Also if I am unable to join as a rating, or officer. Can I join the reserve?

If anyone has any knowledge on this please let me know, like I said I have no idea whether or not they will let me join as I do not know anyone currently in the Navy, only veterans who have served awhile ago, obviously my condition's treatment is relatively new.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Whilst not qualified to give definitive medical advice, hopefully this link to the Joint Service Publication regarding medical standards for entry may help give you a pointer (JSP 950).

The Section you require is Section 4, Annex C: https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/attachments/20160902-jsp-950-part-1-lft-6-7-7-pdf.259822/

Bear in mind even the medical examiner, with their capacious knowledge of medicine, will require the full medical history and copies of any supporting evidence such as ECGs etc., to determine whether you meet the standard for entry so random punts by me or anyone else are of no consequence in the grand scheme.

The medical standards for regular and reserve are the same, incidentally but...the RFA medical standards are different and it may be an avenue to further explore if "Plan A" is not open to you.

Best of luck.

Trainer

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I have a murmur, which incidentally appeared in later life whilst serving. It did not form a barrier to entry to another service. Though it did require me to go to a local hospital and deep throat a probe so that the consultant could do internal Echo Cardiogram*. It looked like a Linda Lovelace film (ask your Dad, young man - no don't). I believe the medical term is 'Physiological only' though I'm sure @nemesis1066 could give a more professional view. Apply, everything to gain...

* I declined sedation because I'm so hard, see...

I have a murmur, which incidentally appeared in later life whilst serving. It did not form a barrier to entry to another service. Though it did require me to go to a local hospital and deep throat a probe so that the consultant could do internal Echo Cardiogram*. It looked like a Linda Lovelace film (ask your Dad, young man - no don't). I believe the medical term is 'Physiological only' though I'm sure @nemesis1066 could give a more professional view. Apply, everything to gain...

* I declined sedation because I'm so hard, see...
As in Foffo Spearjig....The Hard ?.