Need help

Discussion in 'RFA' started by benyboy98, Jan 28, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I wanna be an rfa cadet marine engineer and on the website it says I need dual science in physics or chemistry but the problem is for my GCSE's I am only taking 1 GCSE for each science exam. Will this be a problem even if my chemistry or physics is still at a grade B?

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

2. Get a B in either, but why not try to get a B in both?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

3. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

You need to concentrate on your English too.

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren

4. And memory. You've asked this question before.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

5. I found out dual science is core science and additional but because of my school we are only doing core which is one of each science

6. Why don't you talk to both your teachers and military career advisor ? Get very clear as to what is expected. It may be that the exam board your school / college uses doesn't exactly corrolate to what's expected but if you're taking several science subjects it should balance out in the end.

7. Dual science is just a mixture of units from all 3 sciences, equivocal to 2 GCSE's. Are you sitting a GCSE for each science (3 in total) or just the 1 which will give you just the 1 GCSE?

8. Gcse for each science which is all unit 1

9. Contact the RFA to check but surely what are essentially 3 GCSE's trumps an award which is just 2. Separate GCSE's in physics, biology and chemistry must be worth more than a double award with only enough content across all 3 to be worth 2.

However it is probably wiser to give them a call and ask so as to put your mind at ease, rather than listen to peoples random guesses haha. Recruitment can be a bit odd about having very specific qualifications afterall...

10. Okay thanks

11. Core science is essentially the bare minimum award for Science at GCSE level. Yes you take three separate exams but you won't come out with what would classically be referred too as 'Separate Science'. This link may explain:

AQA | Science | GCSE | Science A

Of course I may well be wrong, but I don't think the GCSE award you will have is high enough for a cadetship. You would need Core + Additional Science.

Call the RFA recruitment and talk to them but before you do make sure you're very clear on what it is you're actually studying because it doesn't seem like you actually know. It's been a while since I was a secondary school science teacher but I've still got some inkling as to how it all works. Chat to your favourite teacher at school and ask them to explain it all to you and how each qualification relates to what employers quote for entry requirements.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  12. Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  13. Cheers Soleil but he knows that, his issue is whether what he's doing at GCSE meets the minimum requirements

14. Indeed. On the PDF, the GCSE requirement is expressed differently, which might shed some light on his question.

15. What BR3 says is:

"Engineer Officer Cadets – minimum 5 GCSEs (or equivalent) at Grade A-C;including English Language at Grade C, Mathematics at Grade B and either Physics, Chemistry or Dual Science at Grade B (or equivalent)."

Benyboy, if you ring the Portsmouth number, you should be able to clarify this.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  16. Well aware. He's confused as to what core science actually is, hence he needs to speak to his teachers and get them to explain where his examinations fit in relation to the academic entry requirements. He'll have a better understanding then.

As I've said, I don't think what he's doing meets the requirement. It's the equivalent of one years science lessons normally taken in year 10 but some schools drag it out over two years.

17. I see your point now.