Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Help With Your Career in Aviation?

Simple, claim that flying lessons towards a career are your Human Right. OK, you pay it back should you eventually get a decent job.

Taxpayers foot £10,000 bill for failed asylum seeker's flying lessons - Telegraph

Quote:
Taxpayers will be hit with a £10,000 bill to pay for a failed asylum seeker to train to be a pilot, even though the Government has said he must leave Britain next year.

Newcastle City Council will be forced to spend £10,000 on flying lessons for Yonas Admasu Kebede and a further £10,000 on his living expenses following a court ruling.

Critics have called the judgment unfair and said the 21-year-old from Ethiopia was being offered a "blank cheque" at taxpayers’ expense.

Quote:
Local authorities are legally obliged to meet the training costs of children who have no parents so they can find a job.

Newcastle city council took their case not to fund the flying lessons or degree to the Administrative Court and the Court of Appeal but lost, in a ruling which may now set a precedent for other claims.

The Kebedes' lawyers successfully argued that the council should pay for the flying lessons – which will cost £165 an hour – as the brothers could not apply for a student loan because of their immigration status.

It's not strictly Naval but I'm sure that rocking up to the interview with a PPL or a JAR-FCL CPL wouldn't do any harm.

Grimes

Badgeman
Simple, claim that flying lessons towards a career are your Human Right. OK, you pay it back should you eventually get a decent job.

Taxpayers foot £10,000 bill for failed asylum seeker's flying lessons - Telegraph

Quote:
Taxpayers will be hit with a £10,000 bill to pay for a failed asylum seeker to train to be a pilot, even though the Government has said he must leave Britain next year.

Newcastle City Council will be forced to spend £10,000 on flying lessons for Yonas Admasu Kebede and a further £10,000 on his living expenses following a court ruling.

Critics have called the judgment unfair and said the 21-year-old from Ethiopia was being offered a "blank cheque" at taxpayers’ expense.

Quote:
Local authorities are legally obliged to meet the training costs of children who have no parents so they can find a job.

Newcastle city council took their case not to fund the flying lessons or degree to the Administrative Court and the Court of Appeal but lost, in a ruling which may now set a precedent for other claims.

The Kebedes' lawyers successfully argued that the council should pay for the flying lessons – which will cost £165 an hour – as the brothers could not apply for a student loan because of their immigration status.

It's not strictly Naval but I'm sure that rocking up to the interview with a PPL or a JAR-FCL CPL wouldn't do any harm.

so we pay for flying lessons for foreigners who have no right to be here, yet force students to cough up a cool £27k for a degree... Broken Britain.

Well, nearly right: as I understand it, they will be required to pay it back once they get a job with a reasonable rate of pay. That's unless they bugger off overseas. Getting a job with a reasonable rate of pay might look easy for a pilot but just having a JAR-FCL CPL is unlikely to get such a job. That requires shed loads of very expensive hours building in the air and I sincerely hope that we won't be subbing that as well.

Subsunk

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
I want my CPL. Oh, wait a minute, I 'm a taxpayer who does as I'm told. I have to pay for other feckless losers to get theirs instead.

Sorry, lost the bubble for a second or two there.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Career choice? need help! friday closing date... Site Issues 4
C Hi I need help Joining the Royal Navy 21
MoD_RSS We need business to help us get girls learning - and change the world: article by Baroness Sugg MoD News 0
R I need help sorting my late fathers 6 off 1939-45 medals & 2 off Mention in Dispatches Certificates. History 14
S Need help RFA 3
MoD_RSS Press release: Teachers say parents need help to resist off-rolling pressure MoD News 0
T Need Help Joining from Commonwealth Joining the Royal Navy 6
A Looking to join but need some help/info Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 5
J UK resident, been on a USA scholarship, Need a 'residency waiver' HELP? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
PotentialCT Need a little help organising my exit strategy. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
J Eng 1, appointment made by RFA. Need help! RFA 14
R Need some help for my son Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
SONAR-BENDER Coming to Guzz - need help! Diamond Lil's 0
sue@knotical Navy ladies - I need your help The Quarterdeck 11
MrIndeed How similar is the royal navy entrance test example to the real thing? (Also need Help) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
joeG need help with preparing for flying aptitude test for AIRCREWMAN position The Fleet Air Arm 2
B Need a little help and actual advice please! UPO 1
Dredd HELP! We need protected! Current Affairs 17
S Past my rt today, need help please ? The Corps 8
craigb302 Newbie to submarine service (hopefully) need help understanding navy pay ? Submariners 16
B Need help RFA 16
Dealwithit Need some help!! RFA 11
O Very Confused,need a lot of help!! AIR ENGINEERING TECHNICIAN Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 32
S In need of serious help! Submariners 84
R Any supply chain personnel? Need help? The Fleet 1
JonnyAlpha Attempting to Join RMR but need help locating previous service record RMR 4
W I think I need help Diamond Lil's 10
S Copied from USCG post - need help in translation, Norwegian to English..maritime Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
D Need help and advice with job choices Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
K I'm a newbie & need help Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 32
C need help! 845nas 1992-2002 The Fleet Air Arm 12
NotmeChief Need help please Diamond Lil's 2
adamson1693 Need Abit of Help Please... The Fleet 10
Gundulph Argyle need Rum Rations Help! Sports and Adventure Training 5
B need a bit of help- selection interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
L thinking of joining need help Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
Guns Calling all Gunners need help with Shell ID History 23
T Need Help on the medical! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
F Help for Heroes - We Need Your Votes! Charity 20
Toast Need SPO course help. Faslane Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1