Need help with putting badge on my hat

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Johnny_5, Oct 25, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well, I've just joined and this is my 1st post. So a big hello to all you guys and gurls here.

I've recently just started URNU at my University, that's ended up in me being listed in the RNR.

Well, I just got all my kit the other day, but I need to put the badge on my hat (Type: MALE RN CLASS 1 OFF). Might sound like a stupid question, but how do I do this, I don't want to mess it up. Theres a cheapy nylon/cotton black band that's removable that runs round the hat above the visor, do I sow the badge onto this? The badge seems a bit too stiff but its do-able.

Wouldn't mind a bit of help, as I'm sure there's plenty of you out there that see this as a trivial problem.

Oh, yeah, I'm hoping to be an Engineer in the RN once I've got my degree. Not there just for the fun of it!

Cheers in advance!
  2. I'm sure an ex-Junior would sew it on for you... for a bottle of Pussers Rum? :lol:
  3. Bloody hell if you can't do something as simple as sew a cap badge on how do you expect to become an engineer.
    Here is your first lesson. Anything complex "ask the chief"
  4. Very basically--yes you sew it onto the cap band .

The cap band has a joining stitched part--sew the badge there.

Make sure the badge is central to the stitched join and most of all the badge must be upright after its sown to the cap band.
  5. Ah, sewing the badge on - memories of Dartmouth!

Basically, sew the badge onto the band making sure it's secure - you don't want the stitching to start coming apart when you least expect it so use lots of small stitches.

Although the badge is stiff, the needle should go through as long as you protect your "pushing finger" (oo-er) with a hard object (oo-er again). I think I used a brass button to push the needle through the last time I did it, but a thimble would suffice.

Oh, and make sure the badge is straight, especially if it's a Gieves badge!
  6. Cheers Guys. I'll get on with it the now.

Oh, BTW, bit OTT no? -
    "Bloody hell if you can't do something as simple as sew a cap badge on how do you expect to become an engineer?"
    As I said, I didn't want to risk making a boob of the job. Nothing wrong with making sure and asking.

Thanks again!
  7. Tsk Tsk Sir - sense of humour failure????
  8. Can you tie your shoe laces?
  9. Are you potty trained?
  10. As you are sewing it on, just remember there are people here (not me I'm glad to say, as a lifelong civvy) who spent the first few days of their naval training doing nothing but sewing their name, in red chain stitch, into 40 odd items of kit at the age of 15!!!
  11. Hey Shipmate, if you're going to join the Andrew get used to having the piss taken out of you. It goes with the job. Learn to take it and learn to give it back. If you can't hack a bit of banter, don't join the mob.
  12. You have all the makings of becoming a great Officer in the RN. Ask a question and then get upset when you don't quite get the answer you were after. Banter (piss-taking) is rife in the services and something you will need to get used to very quickly.

If in doubt, ask the CPO. :)
  13. I'll do it for you in return for a bottle of Port Ellen malt!
  14. I would suggest asking one of the medics in the URNU to find you a silk suture on a curved hand needle which will make the job very much easier.
  15. Why not just take it to your Mum and get her to run it up on her sewing machine for you? :roll:

Oh yeah, about the whole sense of humour thing? How's that going anyway? Not looking too sharp from where we're standing. 8O

16. I welll remember doing that!, even though it was about a hundred years ago, or it seems like it!
  17. What?

We are not supposed to do it any more........ ? :cry:

18. The cap badge is stiff when new, but it's cloth and won't break. Sew it onto the "cheapy nylon/cotton black band" which is actually black mohair wool (or should be) where the seam is. You'll then need to bend the badge into a curve so it sits on the front of your cap properly, because neither your head nor your cap are square.

Alternatively get the midshipwomen to do it.
  19. I would hope he can do it himself Hammockhead. When I joined the ROC at 16 I had to sew all my stiff badges onto my uniform myself after school - and he should be able to as well after his lectures. :lol:
  20. Asking a senior rate is a great idea - esp. if you don't mind a side order of "chips" with the answer.