Need help from some 'old uns'

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by busterbroon, Dec 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I managed to get Sailor from Amazon and it was brilliant. After wearing the rose tinted glasses i remembered a BBC TV programme from 1988 called 'Nozzers' and i really want to try and get my hands on a dvd 'copy' of it, so i can watch it all over again since that program more or less made me join up

I've asked the boffins at BBC about obtaining a copy and it seems they no longer hold the rights to it and its not available on DVD and i was looking for someone who has it and can convert it to DVD for me

If somebody can help me i would appreciate it and if this is the wrong forum to ask for such things can a MOD move it please

Also looking for the following:

HMS Brilliant: i didnt get to see it when it was originally aired as i was onboard HMS Newcastle doing a patrol of the Falklands and SSVC weekly boxes werent that reliable then
    Warship: watched some of them on UK Gold a while ago - but i dont think i got to see them all

thanks in advance
  2. I've look high & low for 'Nozzers' and 'HMS Brilliant' on probably 50+ websites and not one of them has it, Ebay always appears to draw a blank too. Have got 'Shipmates' from 2004.
  3. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

Cheeky ******. So 'Newcastle Television' (NTV) wasn't good enough for you then?

4. I've got the Brill series on vhs. I've been meaning to get em tx'd to DVD for ages. Wait out, I'll let you know when I finally get around to it.
  5. What about "Warship Eagle" no-one seems to mention it, it was done long before Sailor.
  6. That must be in Black and White with subtitles !! :thumright:
  7. Remember it well Higs. Producer was a big extremely well built man name of Charlie Squires. I remember every man on board being given a tinny at the end of the filming.
  8. Now thats what a call a mess bill :thumright: :thumright:
  9. Ah yes!! The BIG "E." After a commission in Hermes in '60-61, the Eagle in '64 seemed ENORMOUS - as were the hang-overs from some fantastic runs ashore - a place called "Olongapo" in Subic Bay to name but one!! or two or three or was it four?

Anyone else remember the place?
  10. [​IMG]

This the one higs?
  12. Agree with 2bm, it was like the wild west, also beings it was a Yankee Naval Base, I seem to remember through a drunken haze, there were lots of American Naval Patrols about, but a great run ashore.
    Now does anyone remember that other good run , also a Yankee base, called Sasebo in Japan?
  13. Olangapo, yeh I remember it well....................first place I ever got clipped with a Yank Shore Patrols night stick! Taken back on board and got all nighters in......Cells.
    Kin good run though :thumright:
    Oh, it was after Op. Ligtas 1964. I was F/D Pty Victorious
  14. Just one long street of bars, all had a group playing, what seemed like 14 yr old girls dragging you into thier bar ( yes I did ), agree with Roof Rat about the over zealous septic SP...bastards.
  15. NTV was good enough - but it didnt happy all that often

but i remember it being very funny (rapid roping from a seaking being 1 such time)
  16. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Olongapo where among other excitements one lot of RN libertymen were adrift because the US OOP had rounded them up out of the way so that they didn't get embroiled in a US race riot. Cause, black US sailors trying to board buses the white ones had decided were for them only. All men are created equal ..

Where a friend of mine wa shaving a quiet beer and a local cop came and sat at his table. Idly enquired whether cop's gun was loaded. Cop promptly shot out a street light to demonstrate ..

Where two US officers who had strayed off the beaten track were found in a side street castrated ..
  17. Ah yes!! The Yank Shore Patrols.

They were pretty vicious in '61 and hadn't improved much by '65!!

I seem to remember some "jolly jack" who, when returning to the Subic Base from outside Olongapo, ended up being arrested for asking a "rather large and dark" shore patrolman,

"Where can I get a fast black?"

18. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

Still got the tapes. That took us ******* ages to film.

20. Once I've found my DVD copy of Nozzers I will make several copies and let peeps know on RR. I've already noted that BusterBroon is after a Nozzer! ;)

I'm available.......... :biggrin: