Need advice !!!!

FT738930

Midshipman
Hi all looking at some information about branch transferring as my branch is now gone I’m source branch steward but I don’t want a career in the RN as a chef basically I’ve done the chef course I give it a go and I’ve been working in the galley on ship before and after the courses it’s just not for me I don’t enjoy so I can never give 100% as it stands I will be leaving as soon I can I don’t want to but I would need better myself so I’m looking at branch transferring I’m really into my fitness and really should of joined the marines my RT isn’t the best I really don’t know what to do , I love the navy so much it’s all I’ve ever wanted but at the moment I just hate it

Btw if this in wrong thread I didn’t know which one to put it in

Sumo

War Hero
Hi all looking at some information about branch transferring as my branch is now gone I’m source branch steward but I don’t want a career in the RN as a chef basically I’ve done the chef course I give it a go and I’ve been working in the galley on ship before and after the courses it’s just not for me I don’t enjoy so I can never give 100% as it stands I will be leaving as soon I can I don’t want to but I would need better myself so I’m looking at branch transferring I’m really into my fitness and really should of joined the marines my RT isn’t the best I really don’t know what to do , I love the navy so much it’s all I’ve ever wanted but at the moment I just hate it

Ask @Levers_Aligned he knows everything

Or @crash_evans
@pompeyexpat both are still serving
Your own DO, UPO etc

pompeyexpat

War Hero
Yea, current affairs probably isn't the right place for this question. I'm sure one of the Mods can move it.

It never ceases to amaze me when those in-service come on here and ask questions that clearly should be directed through their Divisional structure or Chain Of Command. Anybody out of Phase 1 training should know who to approach to ask this sort of question.

However, despite my despair at you asking the question here I will be helpful enough to provide some guidance.

General information on Branch Transfers in service is found in BR 3(1) Chap 51 - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/-/media/royal-navy-responsive/documents/reference-library/br-3-vol-1/chapter-51.pdf

Specific information on transfer into the RM can be found in BR 3(1) Chap 48, Paragraph 4811 - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/-/media/royal-navy-responsive/documents/reference-library/br-3-vol-1/chapter-48.pdf

Now go and speak to your DO.

FT738930

Midshipman
I know I should speak to my Dos and but they just want me to Re do the catering course (cs) pushing me toward that

crash_evans

Lantern Swinger
Totally agree with Pompeyexpat, I suggest an open and honest conversation with your DO on returning to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I know I should speak to my Dos and but they just want me to Re do the catering course (cs) pushing me toward that
They would wouldn't they? As Chefs are an endangered species.
Not sure how 'the lads' would react to having their meals cooked by someone who doesn't want to cook them. Then drip enough when you work your bollocks off making something decent.

Sumo

War Hero
They would wouldn't they? As Chefs are an endangered species.
Not sure how 'the lads' would react to having their meals cooked by someone who doesn't want to cook them. Then drip enough when you work your bollocks off making something decent.
As if we would give the chef, advice on how to cook his food? ;)

pompeyexpat

War Hero
And asking questions on here that you really should be asking them isn't going to change that. It's not as if I'm going to push through a Branch Transfer request for you.

The procedure for changing branches in service is in the reference I linked. Read it and go and talk to your DO. You are at a disadvantage in being in a shortage branch when it comes to be released, but you can only play with the hand you were dealt. Branch transfer isn't a right. That said, they should at least entertain the idea and discuss it with you.

You need to have a clear idea of what you want to do - just not wanting to be a chef isn't enough. If you came to me asking to branch transfer I'd expect you to have done research on the job you want to do, what is the training pipeline, what's the requirements for the branch in terms of any aptitude testing or whatever, do you need to resit the RT to do it, that sort of thing. I'd want to hear clear reasoning on why you don't want to do your current job and why you want to swap to the one you'd like. I'd want to know if you've considered any other options, other than leaving, and if you do plan on leaving what you think you'll do outside. I've had guys request to branch transfer, good guys that were an asset to the mob and worth keeping. Guys that could answer my questions. I've also had guys come to me because they were threaders, couldn't be bothered, but didn't give me the impression that they'd be any different in another branch. Guys that came to me saying they hated their job but couldn't explain why they wouldn't just hate the job they said they wanted to do. Can you guess which guys were successful in their requests? Don't forget, the first step in any branch transfer request is approval from the Commanding Officer.

Think it over, read the references, and go and talk honestly and frankly to your DO. And be ready to justify your thought patterns.

WreckerL

War Hero
For the OP, don't go for writer as they use full stops, commas and stuff. That first post was a difficult read.

I'm not being a grammar nazi but if you're asked to put your reasons in writing punctuation, spelling etc will be important.

Levers_Aligned

War Hero

Dude. Do you ever draw a breath?

Advice: Leave the navy. It's not for everyone. You're pissing up the wrong tree and wasting valuable time.

levers

Sumo

War Hero
Cheers for the advice guys
Hope you now know what you you have to do, use the divisional system but do your homework on what you want to do, many leave and then regret there choice and rejoin. If that happened you would have to start the joining process again, best to fight for the job you want(when you know what you want) than go outside with regrets.
Good luck, your choice, your future.