Need advice WE(SM) or ME(SM)

Wee-lad

Midshipman
Hello all i want to join the royal navy and i am sure i want to go into the silent service but i am stuck between two jobs ME or WE. What role has the best career prospects after the navy ( if i wanted to leave), what role has the best benefits. thanks for any advice in advance

Ps i have used the search function and can't find much on this topic

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Both have fully employable skills in civvy street and are more or less the equal, although as an ex-ME I'd say the ME branch covers a wider range of skills.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
ME's do have a much tougher work schedule, and I'm not just saying that because I was one.

Boats, being steam driven, are manhour intensive when alongside for maintenance. Most ME's do far more duties than their WE counterparts, apart from the wreckers, which is why I was glad when I finally got a fwd draft as a wrecker.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Good days and bad days but on the whole, yes, every day was different and if you have a good group in the engine room it makes it more enjoyable.

K640

War Hero
I'd caveat what WreckerL has said by saying that as a WE, if you're streamed SWS, your watchbill can be pretty horrendous at times. Due to serious manning issues in the branch it is not unheard of two be in a 1 in 2 watchbill alongside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wee-lad

Midshipman
Thanks guys i think i am going to go for ME also what happens if one guy on a boat ends up being an ass**** and you're stuck with him for the deployment?

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
You've answered your own question. Its the same where ever you work. Shouldn't be too bad though, Wrecks has retired!.

Sumo

War Hero
As a WE you will have to learn to work in the dark, back afties do it with the lights on.
Both I believe, if you stay long enough and get selected for the training can take you up to degree standard in your chosen engineering branch

Wee-lad

Midshipman
Thanks guys also would i go to submarine school after basic training the navy website doesn't mention it for ME but it says WE's go to it for 4 months?

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
ME's go to the nuclear school at Sultan. They don't go to the submarine school unless as an instructor/divisional staff but thats at Senior Rate level.

Wee-lad

Midshipman
Since my last reply i have put much thought into this and i have ultimately decided that i will go as a skimmer ME first then after a few years i will transfer to boats, thanks everyone who gave advice it was much appreciated

Sumo

War Hero
Since my last reply i have put much thought into this and i have ultimately decided that i will go as a skimmer ME first then after a few years i will transfer to boats, thanks everyone who gave advice it was much appreciated
Good luck with your chosen career

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Need Advice: Reserves to Regulars Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 36
O In need of advice. Probably wrong section of fourm Joining the Royal Navy 12
F Need advice !!!! Miscellaneous 11
F Need advice !!!!! Current Affairs 15
Jade coats Need advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
A Last year in school need advice about joining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
A Pregnant - need advice Nearest & Dearest 5
L Need advice please Joining the Royal Navy 44
D Need Medical advice ASAP! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
norbastard90s PMU'd. Need cover letter advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
P Been offered ETWE Boats... Need advice! Submariners 22
southernbhoy96 Asthma chances need advice Health & Fitness 10
B Need a little help and actual advice please! UPO 1
M Considering joining the navy but need advice. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
C need advice quickly! The Corps 7
C At medical stage of recruitment process, need advice! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
J Need some advice please guys Health & Fitness 16
C Need some advice asap Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
G New and need some advice Nearest & Dearest 10
T Need advice re: RMR joining in 1-2 years. RMR 1
D Need help and advice with job choices Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
A Newbie in need of friendly advice/mocking! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
T Need some advice please. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
C Failed my Medical - Need some advice Health & Fitness 18
M Need relationship advice Diamond Lil's 37
F Need some AET terminology advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 36
L Need some medical advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
V In need of advice (Failed RT) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
R I need some good advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
M In need of advice from a AFCO The Corps 26
1ManRiot Thinking about having another go... need some advice RMR 18
cmontheroyals need some advice The Corps 16
D RMR - Need advice RMR 6
S a newbie in need of some serious advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 33
MoD_RSS Dounreay cash reaches groups in need during Coronavirus lockdown MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Pubs Code deadlines affected by the Covid-19 emergency - What tenants need to know MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Organising mixed ability pupils in smaller groups and helping those who need to catch up MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ensuring humanitarian resources reach those most in need MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Homeowners need to check before starting work near flood defences MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Addressing the pressing humanitarian need in Syria MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New guidance published to ensure transport network is safe for those who need to use it MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £16 million for food charities to provide meals for those in need MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The need for lasting peace in Colombia is even greater in these uncertain times MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Getting PPE to those who need it MoD News 0
L Joining as Officer but undecided, need helping choosing Joining the Royal Navy 25
MoD_RSS We need a national effort to build testing capacity on a massive scale MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chancellor strengthens support on offer for business as first government-backed loans reach firms in need MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Budget 2020: What you need to know MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Emphasising the importance of delivering principled humanitarian action to those who need it most MoD News 0
MoD_RSS We need every country to recognise that attacks on media freedom are beyond the pale MoD News 0