Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need advice re: RMR joining in 1-2 years.

TheDoc

Hello all, I posted the below on militaryforums.co.uk also but I want a breadth of responses and advice so I've found my way here too!

Right, a few questions for you all.

I'm 27 living in Barnsley with the Mrs and 8 month old boy. Currently I'm in the final year of my PhD (hence "TheDoc") and I'm hoping to do secondary science teaching after this. So another year of teacher training will take me to 2014 and 29 years old!

My questions are: is 29 too old for someone with very little forces experience? I did 1.5 years in Royal Logistics TA before uni but that was 10 years ago!

Also, teaching is a tough job - anyone here combine this with RMR or other reserves? How would the 2 week training courses fit in with a term-time only job? When do most of the 2-weekers run in the year?

Finally, given my academic background would officer training be on the cards after a while as a Marine? Obviously, I've missed the age limit for direct Officer entry (if there is one?). I reckon a spell as a Marine would make me a better Officer in the future, thoughts?

Some notes: I suppose I'm a bit of a science geek but I'm not what people often call "an eternal student". My fitness:

5k: 19:30
10k: 40:30
Half marathon: 1hr 30min
Marathon: 3hr 30min

Did Paras 10 P Company Challenge in 2011: finished in 1hr 43min with the 35lb bergen. Aiming for sub 1hr 40min this year.

Push ups: 60+ in 2 mins
Sit ups: 50+
Pull ups: 15+

Anyway, all advice and thoughts will be most appreciated.

TheDoc

Been reading the Officers and RMR thread so question about Officer entry/likelihood is answered already.

Cheers.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D RMR - Need advice RMR 6
A Need Advice: Reserves to Regulars Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 36
O In need of advice. Probably wrong section of fourm Joining the Royal Navy 12
F Need advice !!!! Miscellaneous 11
F Need advice !!!!! Current Affairs 15
Jade coats Need advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
A Last year in school need advice about joining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
A Pregnant - need advice Nearest & Dearest 5
L Need advice please Joining the Royal Navy 44
D Need Medical advice ASAP! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
Wee-lad Need advice WE(SM) or ME(SM) Submariners 31
norbastard90s PMU'd. Need cover letter advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
P Been offered ETWE Boats... Need advice! Submariners 22
southernbhoy96 Asthma chances need advice Health & Fitness 10
B Need a little help and actual advice please! UPO 1
M Considering joining the navy but need advice. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
C need advice quickly! The Corps 7
C At medical stage of recruitment process, need advice! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
J Need some advice please guys Health & Fitness 16
C Need some advice asap Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
G New and need some advice Nearest & Dearest 10
D Need help and advice with job choices Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
A Newbie in need of friendly advice/mocking! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
T Need some advice please. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
C Failed my Medical - Need some advice Health & Fitness 18
M Need relationship advice Diamond Lil's 37
F Need some AET terminology advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 36
L Need some medical advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
V In need of advice (Failed RT) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
R I need some good advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
M In need of advice from a AFCO The Corps 26
1ManRiot Thinking about having another go... need some advice RMR 18
cmontheroyals need some advice The Corps 16
S a newbie in need of some serious advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 33
MoD_RSS The need for a political settlement to solve the crisis in Syria MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Flublok vaccine given authorisation for temporary supply in the UK to meet public health need MoD News 0
R I need help sorting my late fathers 6 off 1939-45 medals & 2 off Mention in Dispatches Certificates. History 14
MoD_RSS Largest testing programme for coronavirus reinforces need for vigilance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Minister for International Environment stresses need to work with Bangladesh to tackle climate change MoD News 0
MoD_RSS What tied pub tenants need to know about BDMs and CCOs MoD News 0
S Need help RFA 4
MoD_RSS The UK stands by Lebanon and its people in time of need MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Do you need to leave your home area to achieve a better life? MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Majority of children no longer need to shield MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Dounreay cash reaches groups in need during Coronavirus lockdown MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Pubs Code deadlines affected by the Covid-19 emergency - What tenants need to know MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Organising mixed ability pupils in smaller groups and helping those who need to catch up MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ensuring humanitarian resources reach those most in need MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Homeowners need to check before starting work near flood defences MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Addressing the pressing humanitarian need in Syria MoD News 0