Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Navy's First Female Senior Observer Reaches Another Milestone At RNAS Culdrose"

Waspie

War Hero
Same PR pic as when they reported her to be the first female SOB's!!! For a moment I thought I was reading regurgitated news!!!

Pontius

War Hero
Flying in Sea King helicopters, Lt Cdr Burbidge worked on 820 Squadron and 771 Squadron

Well, I've fixed a bit of their journalistic nonsense for them :smile:

They must be really hard-up for a story in order for them to write so much about a complete non-event. I find it a bit galling that everyone nowadays must be on their best behaviour to ensure that no sort of sexual discrimination exists anywhere, ever, and yet here we get to hear about someone who has spent 3000 hours sitting in the back of a helicopter, just because she's a she.

Maybe I'll contact a suitable ombudsman and get them to redress the balance by writing a story of how many frequent flyer points I've got by sitting in the back of an airliner.

Sumo

War Hero
Well, I've fixed a bit of their journalistic nonsense for them :smile:

They must be really hard-up for a story in order for them to write so much about a complete non-event. I find it a bit galling that everyone nowadays must be on their best behaviour to ensure that no sort of sexual discrimination exists anywhere, ever, and yet here we get to hear about someone who has spent 3000 hours sitting in the back of a helicopter, just because she's a she.

Maybe I'll contact a suitable ombudsman and get them to redress the balance by writing a story of how many frequent flyer points I've got by sitting in the back of an airliner.

Come on pontius, the PR machine is always looking for any excuse to go to print, you may find the woman would rather they Fox trot Oscar and let her get on with her job instead of being rolled out as someone special every time they have a gap in the press to fill. She may enjoy the limelight for a split second, she may not.
She will know she may be the first female to achieve X,Y & Z but as a WAFU not the first winginer girly ever to fly, but what they are reporting on is just normal work.
I saw in Drake on divs some young SA and Wrts get awards for doing their jobs well and turning up on time? I thought what the hell as the navy come to? PR crap
:cuddle: someone today and be happy

ianandnadine

Lantern Swinger
Be fair lads, after all it is a local newspaper covering Kernow, good luck to her!!

You're right, there is frequent mentions in the local rags of aircrew achieving milestone flying hours and the like, this is no different other than the fact she is female for a change. I've crossed paths a few times with her at junior rate and officer level and she's always came across as down to earth so fair **** to her for doing well in a male dominated environment.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Royal Navy Air Arm welcomes first female Senior Observer Current Affairs 5
SA-Sharky Questions for serving female, or husbands with wives in the navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
soleil Mirror: "Sub Hunting With First Female Commander Of Major Royal Navy Warship" The Fleet 20
soleil Telegraph: "Meet The Commander Giving The Royal Navy A Female Touch" The Fleet 65
soleil Falmouth Packet: "Navy Officer From Penzance In Female First For Royal Naval College" Bases / Shore Est 1
wave_dodger US Navy lifts bans on female submariners Current Affairs 3
R US Navy's Female Captain Bligh Current Affairs 25
higthepig Navy news November 2020 The Quarterdeck 0
MoD_RSS World-class autonomous minehunters to protect Royal Navy MoD News 1
AccessHeritage Royal Navy's Use of The Infernal Machine History 19
MoD_RSS Royal Navy warship sails into Arctic Circle for High North operation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Royal Navy concludes first joint exercises with Egypt MoD News 0
N royal navy medical appeal alcohol Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
higthepig Navy news October 2020 The Quarterdeck 0
mikh Navy Net asks for your consent to use your personal data to: Bloody Computers 9
MoD_RSS Royal Navy seizes over 450kg in the largest methamphetamine drug bust in the Middle East MoD News 0
soleil FB: National Museum Of The Royal Navy: 215th Anniversary Of The Battle Of Trafalgar History 2
soleil FB: Royal Navy And Royal Marines Charity - Hosting Your Own Trafalgar Night/Pickle Night Dinner History 2
soleil Express: "Submarine Sparks Panic In Scotland As Onlookers Mistake Royal Navy Exercise For Fire" Submariners 2
sampost Jubilee Sailing Trust announces pioneering collaboration with the Royal Navy Sports and Adventure Training 2
soleil Royal Navy Recipients In The Queen's Birthday Honours List 2020 Current Affairs 2
soleil FB: Royal Navy And Royal Marines Charity: World Uckers Championship 2020 The Fleet 1
soleil The Times: "Life On The Ocean Wave: The Royal Navy Photographic Awards" The Fleet 1
soleil BBC: "HMS Queen Elizabeth: On board The Royal Navy's New Aircraft Carrier" The Fleet 0
MoD_RSS Royal Navy seize £160 million worth of drugs in the Caribbean MoD News 1
higthepig Navy news September 2020 The Quarterdeck 0
soleil NWE Mail: "Barrow Built Submarine Becomes Inaugural Winner Of A New Royal Navy Commendation" Submariners 2
soleil New Badge For Trainee Royal Navy Submariners Submariners 18
M Royal Navy interviews Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
D Royal Navy Handymen The Fleet 21
B how to find service number royal navy Site Issues 7
soleil P. News: "Royal Navy's HMS Sultan Forced To Cancel Popular Fireworks Due To Covid-19" Bases / Shore Est 4
H Royal Navy Push up standards Joining the Royal Navy 5
J Navy or RAF Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 8
soleil FB: NAVYFit - Squash - 1SL v The Chief Of The Australian Navy Sports and Adventure Training 1
higthepig Navy news August 2020 The Quarterdeck 0
S Transfer from Army to Navy Joining the Royal Navy 13
D Both parents in the Royal Navy Joining the Royal Navy 1
soleil FB: National Museum Of The Royal Navy - On This Day - Sir Thomas Sean Connery Was Born History 3
MoD_RSS DIO completes state-of-the-art gym for Royal Navy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK launches multinational training to enhance Ukrainian Navy against threats from the East MoD News 0
soleil Somerset Live: Royal Navy 'Legend' Still Flying After 50 Years And 9,200 Hours In The Air The Fleet Air Arm 2
soleil FB: Navy Wings: 'The Wrong Sort Of Air' ……......…..... The Fleet Air Arm 3
soleil Dorset Echo: "‘Does Anyone Know My Old Navy Friend?" The Quarterdeck 4
T Navy Entry Date Marine Engineer Joining the Royal Navy 4
T Application process-Royal Navy Joining the Royal Navy 8
T Fitness Test Royal Navy Joining the Royal Navy 15
T Commissioning from army to navy (hopefully) UPO/Careers Office 24
D Navy CBAT/FATs Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
soleil FB: Royal Navy & Royal Marines Charity - Black Tot Day - 50th Anniversary History 11