Navy.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Swannie, Dec 10, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wee question I know someone going into navy he is young at 16.5 he plays bagpipes and he not going to let on he plays?? Are pipers still used at all, only he can say he plays!!!!! I mow in the first year it will not be advantageous to him!!!!!!! Lol

2. He'll certainly be popular at mess/wardroom functions.

3. Or not! Depends if you like the skirl of the pipes or if like me think they sound like a strangled cat!

4. There is nothing that tugs at the heartstrings of every Scotsman than to hear the sound of a lone piper playing the lament upon a distant hillside.

As long as the b***er stays there.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Pipers are heartily encouraged to have a toot whilst a ship enters or leaves harbour. I've served on several ships where a piper plays, usually at the pointy-end on 'procedure alpha' (Full ceremonial departure/arrival).

I fondly remember playing Highland Cathedral, trying to drown out the piper, on HMS Illustrious whilst in the Mediterranean in the mid-90's, a very stirring, emotive piece. OK the RMBS do it a bit better, but what we lacked in accuracy we made-up for in enthusiasm. :winkrazz:

Here's the Royal Marines having a crack at it. (Interesting to note it was written in 1982 by a couple of Germans, not Scots): "Highland Cathedral" H.M. Royal Marines - YouTube

• Like Like x 1
  6. Was that the Chippy Chief who played? His name escapes me for the minute. Used to really enjoy Highland Cathedral at Prod A, at least til the band kicked in anyway.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Bloody cheek. I was fab.

It was indeed. Name escapes me too! A beardy bloke, Paddy something or other.

8. For some reason Grayall is in my mind. Remember him practising in the hanger during circuits so the PTI had to shout louder.

9. We had a piper on my LRLC (Royal Arthur), when we did dog watch sports we used to march down to the gym with him up front! Put the fear of god into the other classes. Especially when he lifted his kilt :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Yep that's the blighter, played a mean 'porridge cannon'. I used to nearly turn my head inside-out trying to "out-volume" him on the tuba. I lost, so the band stood at the back of the flightdeck, Paddy at the pointy bit, atop the ski ramp & the balance was about right on the bridge.

• Like Like x 1
  11. That'll be the dude. Didn't look at the link cos I wasn't that interested but good to know the memory ain't totally shot.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Gawd, still ugly though, eh? :D

13. Who? Me? Like a young George Clooney I've been told.

14. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  15. Aye, but at what age? Bald and toothless would suggest the comparative age was being measured in months and not years at the time . . . ;P

16. If he hangs on a few years he may be able to join the "Jockonese Navy" they will love the pipes.