Navy vs RAF vs Army pilots?

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by aaronknox99, May 3, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. which pilots have the longest and most difficult training, best, most exciting/eventful lifestyle, best opportunities, highest chance of employment when out of the military etc.

I have been searching for a while now but i can't find a definitive/detailed answer?

if any of you guys can help then please do!

Thanks. :)
  2. That's probably because your question is largely subjective so there is no definitive answer.

Apart from the first bit but I don't know ther answer to that, sorry.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

There isn't a definitive answer.

Depends how you term and quantify longest, best, most difficult and transferable. There ain't much call for civilian fighter jet pilots in their raw state with Ryan Air, but many would argue it's the longest, most exciting & best training in the military.

The most readily and directly transferable pilots are probably those who fly military transport & logistics aircraft (RAF). Exciting? For some, maybe. Most eventful and challenging is probably those who land and take-off from moving platforms (ships) - predominantly RN but inevitably the RAF try to shoulder-in when it comes to operating jet aircraft from ships also. The Royal Marines staged an impressive rescue of a tragically fallen comrade by flying on the exterior of Army Apache helicopters. I'd wager that is probably more "exciting" than sitting on the inside although the medal count would suggest otherwise.
    Best opportunities...for what? Killing people? In numerical terms, probably bomber pilots (RAF) going back to WW2 and Apache helicopter pilots (Army) together with RAF & RN ground strike aircraft, more recently in Afghanistan but we ain't there next year. Best opportunities to fly helicopter, fast jet, at sea, over land, search and rescue, ground attack and air combat? USMC at present. RN maybe in the coming years.
  4. yes I know it is a rather vague question :p, I just wondered what branch of the military would have the most enjoyable lifestyle and benefits.... so between the RAF and RN, which (when the F-35 comes into service... if it does..) would have the most amount of flying time? I read somewhere that the FAA will only be contributing 40% of the Pilots required to fly the aircraft? does that mean that the RAF will be flying from the carriers as well? :)
  5. Ninja_Stoker

The RAF will be flying the F35 from aircraft carriers, much the same as they did with the Harrier. If the last time the RAF flew from carriers is anything to go by, they won't like it due to the confines of serving on a ship, the fact they "didn't join to serve at sea away from home" and last time they only served afloat in very limited numbers, dragged unwillingly away from Germany initially.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Stop talking about enjoyable lifestyles. I sit around watching telly, go to the pub, sometimes a restaurant, occasional weekend break and work quite a lot and I find that an enjoyable lifestyle. No-one but you can say who has the more enjoyable lifestyle, the whole question is silly.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Agreed, but it would be more enjoyable in my opinion, if I didn't have to go to a gastro-pub, but rather lived in it - to save the commute.

Taking it a step further, but on the same vein, the seats should be commodes.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. I was a bit slow on the uptake there, but penny dropped :D
  9. Scary as this might be to admit, but I wouldn't be surprised if the lad was born in 99', hence the username.

The scary thing is I don't know at what point I decided to swap boyhood dreams of explosions and medals for grown up dreams of non-receding hairlines and a half decent APR on my mortgage, but it happened.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. They also won't do any time away over Christmas, conveniently 1 Grp were handy at always deploying the RN squadron to do that kind of thing.
  11. Fair one. Didn't notice that, my bad.
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Concur, hence the:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

I know of one young RAF pilot who, following training was employed as a SAR pilot and was very good at it. He married a gorgeous woman, travels the world representing his Granny whose job he will eventually take over ( after his dad ). As a Prince passed for King he'll be promoted to 5* and Commander in Chief of his armed forces. He's already on the telly a lot. He has prospects.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Ninja to let the black cat out of the bag, guess what my present digs are and all paid for by someone else.:glasses8: