Navy Transport Seahorse

Discussion in 'History' started by jamesd, Aug 23, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone can help me. On the 30th of January 1816 the naval transport Seahorse was wrecked off Tramore in County Waterford. On board were members of the 59th Regiment on way to garrison duty in Cork.

Im trying to find more information on the ship itself. Most references describe the ship as being a converted frigate.

363 souls perished in the wreck and as the 200th anniversary approaches I am trying to organise a memorial to the soldiers that lost their lives, ( there is one already to officers),

We have gathered quite a lot of info on the soldiers but very little on the Seahorse itself.

Any suggestions or info greatly appreciated.

2. Hi jamesd

Googled and came up with this which no doubt you've already looked atSea Horse

WRECK WRAK EPAVE WRACK PECIO

Lloyds of London archives may have some answers or perhaps the National Maritime Museum at Greenwich.

I wish you well with your search

MG

3. Thanks MG, Ive looked at both sites already, there are some references online but its the same (often incorrect ) information repeated across different sites. Ive emailed the National Museum and basically I would have to go there to get additional info which is not in the budget at the moment. Lyodds is much the same story. Thanks again hopefully something will pop up.

Its sad really that the regiment on board the 59th survived all through Spain do die within a mile of the Irish coast.

4. I have a book SHIPWREICKS ON THE REVOLUTIONARY ANDNAPOLEONIC ERA by Terence Grocott.

On pages 390 –392 is a summery of events

Here are a few notes, which I hope will by of some use to you.

The SEAHORSE was rated as a transport brig.
    The master was Mr James Gibb
    25 January 1816 sailed from Deal with LORD MELVILLE, WILLIAM PITT and BOADICEA.
    26 January sailed from the downs
    28 January off the Lizard in the evening wind South.
    29 January blowing fresh from SW, made Bally-cotton Islands at 5 pm.
    The mate went aloft to look at the land (having a better knowledge of the area) but fell and died.

The number of person on board range from 345 – 365 including the crew, so these vessels must have been well overloaded for the journey