Navy to SBS?

Hi all,

Just been watching the SAS who dares wins programme and am curious about the sort of roles people are in before joining special forces.

It seems the main bulk, or all you here of, is people going from the Royal Marines into the SBS.

I was wondering, has/do any people actually join/pass selection from a role which isn't the RM's?

Rover

Lantern Swinger
It is logical that Royal Marines try for the SBS, contrary to what some people think the SBS is still a branch of the Royal Marines the same as the Commandos or the Band Service.

People can also try for the third member of the SF, being the Special Reconnaissance Regiment.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Those in the RN are most often found wanting with regard "green skills" and will usually be expected to undertake the All Arms Commando Course as a mandatory precursor before undergoing UKSF selection.

About 37% of UKSF are Royal Marines Commandos. Matelots do exist within the SF cadre but they are pretty thin on the ground in the overall scheme of things. Nevertheless, it's open to all services. Even the RAF. ;)

About 37% of UKSF are Royal Marines Commandos. Matelots do exist within the SF cadre but they are pretty thin on the ground in the overall scheme of things. Nevertheless, it's open to all services. Even the RAF. ;)
I see that you've mentioned Special Forces and the RAF in the same sentence. You must be talking about the RAF Regiment :)

It is logical that Royal Marines try for the SBS, contrary to what some people think the SBS is still a branch of the Royal Marines the same as the Commandos or the Band Service.

People can also try for the third member of the SF, being the Special Reconnaissance Regiment.
Really haven't heard much about the SRR. care to shed any light?

Did there not used to be a forward spotting recon unit teams off X landed early down south in 82 to give visual info to the ships to sling out there 10 mile bullets accurately onto known targets?
We had a chap on our ship who had been in that unit, he said the selection was rock hard, out of the dozens of vey fit bods that started only 3 qualified he mentioned Green Lid course then on to train with SAS and SBS

The cadet unit I volunteer at has a committee member that's an ex RN MEM. He was drafted to Commando Logistic Regiment back in the 80's and earned himself a green lid as a Navy Commando. From there I believe he transferred to the marines after a couple of years as apparently matelots couldn't hold a green lid indefinitely back then. From going Royal, he then went Swimmer Canoeist. I see him at least once a month and he's always on parade, wears a RM Lovets beret, his medal rack with his SAM 82 with rosette, a MiD on his GSM and a nice badge just above that depicts a parachuting frog.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rover

Lantern Swinger
I do remember seeing a bloke with "Royal Navy Commando" shoulder flashes wearing a sandy beret and khaki army style uniform and radio-operators badge. It was at HMS Drake in 1961 and the chap came to morning divisions every day for a while. Don't know what he did to get there. :cool: