Navy to RMR

I've just passed my RT for the navy. Now I'm thinking of the RMR. If I was to request a change in my application, what sort of repercussions will there be?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Nothing much. A quick call to Mr Cameron, ministerial approval via the MOD in triplicate and a reference from someone you know in the SBS(R), should do the trick.

Actually, scrub that, just ring your AFCO & inform them you wish to change your application to RMR - assuming you scored high enough.

Good luck.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
should I prepare for a beasting at interviews for the change though?
No, you can change your mind whenever you like before you join. The issue is we want you to take on a job you want.

As long as you can explain "Why RMR & not RN?" at interview, it's seldom an issue.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Going back to my time in Oxford (the city not the Uni, as if that needed explaining) most of the rowing seemed to take place at silly o'clock a.m., early evening and obscure hours during weekends, when the Isis/Thames was less congested with idiots in pleasure cruisers (myself being one of the 'congestors').

The thing with the RMR is that you can realistically expect upwards of 20+ training weekends in a 12-14 month period, and weekly drill-nights early evening, just to complete training.

A "Team GB" rower maybe compatible once a 'trained rank' in the RMR but I'm absolutely positive the two are not compatible concurrently whilst a Recruit (Ooh, big words. Maybe I did go to Uni after all, but forgot).

Are you sure that the kind of training you'll need to do for RMR won't be detrimental to your rowing?

And, there was an RN Officer rowing for team GB in the Olympics, so it can be done.
Peter was a UCE and only started rowing at Oxford Brookes. There was a GB rower who completed RM Officer training 2 years back. It can be done.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Peter was a UCE and only started rowing at Oxford Brookes. There was a GB rower who completed RM Officer training 2 years back. It can be done.
Maybe for Regulars but for those in the Reserves who maybe a full-time student or have a full-time civilian job to juggle with home-life and RMR Other Rank Recruit Training before even looking at the demands of representing your country internationally, it's a bit of a time-management conundrum. Two missed RMR training weekends out of the 20-odd expected & you're back-trooped a year.

It may well be possible, but it's certainly worth being aware there are potential pitfalls.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jimmy_Green Nautical Jokes 8
PartTimePongo Current Affairs 16
Bad CO Site Issues 14