Navy to RMR

Discussion in 'RMR' started by spenp002, Nov 1, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just passed my RT for the navy. Now I'm thinking of the RMR. If I was to request a change in my application, what sort of repercussions will there be?

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Nothing much. A quick call to Mr Cameron, ministerial approval via the MOD in triplicate and a reference from someone you know in the SBS(R), should do the trick.

Actually, scrub that, just ring your AFCO & inform them you wish to change your application to RMR - assuming you scored high enough.

Good luck.

3. should I prepare for a beasting at interviews for the change though?

4. What prompted your interest in the RMR, spenp002?

5. I want to be part of the best and have some adventure. Something I don't think the navy can offer me to the extent I want.

6. Ninja_Stoker

No, you can change your mind whenever you like before you join. The issue is we want you to take on a job you want.

As long as you can explain "Why RMR & not RN?" at interview, it's seldom an issue.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Which job did you originally opt for?

8. Ninja_Stoker

Fair enough. Just don't add "Big Nose" at the end if it's a matelot interviewing you.

9. Originally opted for warfare officer

10. What has prompted you to switch to being a Reservist?

11. I'm currently near selection for the GB rowing team and train in Henley

12. All fixed, no charge.:biggrin:

(despite the fact there is one too many "R" in your choice.)

13. Ninja_Stoker

Going back to my time in Oxford (the city not the Uni, as if that needed explaining) most of the rowing seemed to take place at silly o'clock a.m., early evening and obscure hours during weekends, when the Isis/Thames was less congested with idiots in pleasure cruisers (myself being one of the 'congestors').

The thing with the RMR is that you can realistically expect upwards of 20+ training weekends in a 12-14 month period, and weekly drill-nights early evening, just to complete training.

A "Team GB" rower maybe compatible once a 'trained rank' in the RMR but I'm absolutely positive the two are not compatible concurrently whilst a Recruit (Ooh, big words. Maybe I did go to Uni after all, but forgot).

14. Peter was a UCE and only started rowing at Oxford Brookes. There was a GB rower who completed RM Officer training 2 years back. It can be done.

15. Ninja_Stoker

Maybe for Regulars but for those in the Reserves who maybe a full-time student or have a full-time civilian job to juggle with home-life and RMR Other Rank Recruit Training before even looking at the demands of representing your country internationally, it's a bit of a time-management conundrum. Two missed RMR training weekends out of the 20-odd expected & you're back-trooped a year.

It may well be possible, but it's certainly worth being aware there are potential pitfalls.

16. cheers guys, you've been very helpful.

17. Ninja_Stoker

Obviously forum standards are slipping.

Good luck anyhow!