Navy to downsize to 20000 by 2015

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by bongo_jeffrey, Nov 28, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just gotten this little gem from a superior, allegedly from the mouths' of Fleet HQ. There is some truth to this, in so far as it has been briefed to the last CO desig course. It has been mentioned that redundancy packages of 3.5x salary are to be paid- predominantly to SRs and junior officers.

Is anybody able to add any truth to what may just be a strong rumor?

2. I hope it is true. I would take that redundancy offer.

3. I'll reluctantly volunteer for one of those!

4. Downsizing to 15000.

Redundancy payouts - not so sure. I haven't heard anything other than the fact that redundancy payouts on a scale of the early '90s are not affordable.

5. Time for a name change to Royal Coast Guard. Arse.

6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Downsizing to one: me. I've been tasked to switch off the lights and lock the gate in 2010... :shock:

7. You are still providing that World Class Navy in the Business Plan. You will be downsized again and again until you stop being an over-achieving embarrassment to Noo Labours Kool Britannia!

8. I hope this is a windup...but I fear that it does tie in with the idea of shutting one of the naval bases.

Does this figure include the Royal Marines?

Why aim redundancies at SRs and Junior Officers and not Senior Officers...?

3.5 x salary is crap. This worked in the early nineties as, for example, £35k x 3.5 = £122.5K, which in those days was enough to buy a nice house. Now it would possibly buy a onr bedroom flat, so therefore it is a rubbish deal, especially combined with the loss of the ability to get an immediate pension.

I do hope this is a windup. I would vote for any party that would stand up in the House of Commons and commit itself to a proper naval policy, rather than one which ignores its defence reviews as soon as the spending gets tight.

9. Once you hit 20K it's pedalos all round, there'll be no grey line left. Just rows of yellow ducks, And the odd black turd surfacing now and again!!!

10. Interesting how the most powerful armed force known to man only 60+ years ago may now shrink to a figure that could be wiped out in an afternoon. :roll:

11. An old Jaunty of mine attended a Naval Manpower Lecture in the early 70's. The audience were suprised to hear that the navy at that time would not 2/3rds fill Wembley Stadium. We were shocked!! Things never change with the Gummint.

12. I am ashamed, to think at what progressive governaments have done to our once mightly Navy.

Yet, even with out deminished size, they still want to fight the worlds battles as if we have a Far East Fleet.

I am ASHAMED.

13. sgtpepperband

"The Royal Navy numbers 37,500 people of which approximately 6,000 are in the Royal Marines."

Shocking... we'd all be able to fit inside Highbury, St. Andrews Ground or White Hart Lane (if we breathed in!) :shock:

14. Yes, but remember that 35k per annum in the early nineties was a considerable wage. I'm not sure on the exact figures, but adjusted for inflation, I reckon that you would be looking more at 14k p a for a junior Lt/Chief. Hence, the numbers do make some sense.

Collingwood is cutting its RN instructor levels from circa 900, to 300 by 2008, and the Fire School at Excellent is going to be entirely private by April 2007. I am advised that these cuts are mirrored in other training establishments. I was told today that 2 Commodores posts have been cut (i.e: they won't be re-manned when the present incumbents shuffle off) and that a transformation team based at Fleet Hq are seeking to cull Commander and Captain posts! Add to this the fact that T22s have now been downgraded to a Commander drive (pre scrapping no doubt...) and you have a worry set of circumstances which seem to support the notion of swinging cuts! People with their notice in (SRs) have been asked if they wish to leave prior to serving out their years notice!

That said, if someone offers this c/s 100k to become a civvy, then I'll chew their hands off! I'm not interested in being part of a joke Navy- cheers to Tony and Gordon!

16. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

I have to say if they offered me 3 1/2 times my salary to do one and my pension, I'd be very very tempted to leave....

17. sgtpepperband

I do this for love, not money... :shock:

18. There were 5 rounds of redundancies in the 90s I believe and in none did they offer more than 18 months salary as a lump sum (plus pension lump sum if entitled).

19. Once the complete civilianisation of the training establishment is complete, and everybody realises that there are no longer any shore jobs, theyll have trouble maintaining 20,000, let alone needing to make any one redundant.

20. Bugger!!

Not a lot else to say really. Once more screwed over by a Red Gvt. Invincible laid up, Illustrious tied up, Me an the Ark layed off.

Bugger!!!