Navy support staff going on strike

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by wet_blobby, Dec 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

2. Don't blame them one bit. Civvy staff bust their arses to keep the whole friggin mess going for peanuts, then when MoD overspends it's the same old , same old from Chamondley-Warner and the Chaps at Main Building… fire half the civvies not the fvckers who caused the massive overspends.
  3. Wait until we have a major war crisis. Will the private sector decide that the essential jobs require extra danger money or will they find some get out in a poorly drafted government contract to enable them to walk away?
  4. We often ask whether we could mount a Falklands style operation again, but often overlooked is the mammoth effort that went in by civilian dockyard staff to store, prep and equip the ships of the Op Corporate task force. Makes you wonder if we could do that again now....
  5. Whoa - the Falklands is one thing but day to day running is another. I have to say I'm not as supportive. The 'buffoons' in Whitehall are still civil servants; they are just fairly easy to bracket. There's an awful lot of other buffoons out there. I can recall all too painfully how the quality of service my section delivered suffered when it was forced to become part-civilianised. There was no 'bigger picture' even to the point of some git actually stopping work on a nuclear repair so he could have his 20 minutes washup time (fag before getting on the bus).....
  6. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

I've seen a dockyard matey run -

Yes, by God I've seen it done -

When he hears the dockyard bell,

He drops his tools and runs like hell.

7. Nope, all that effort was rewarded with P45's for many dockies and most of the MN crews who answered the call.
  8. What a load of bollocks. Civvies who don't want change as it may upset the cushy working practices that they have become accustomed to. Lots going on with Fleet Transformation but you won't see Jolly Jack striking, no they just have to lump it and get on with it. If they want sympathy they are going about in the wrong way the scrimshankers.
  9. Another privatisation by the mandarins in London. 600 civil servants off the books of Govt, thats what its all about...

There wont be any MOD support staff left within a few years, just ltd companies fleecing the navy out of desperately-needed cash.
  10. And those companies will be full of TUPE'd out support staff totally demotivated and treated like shit by their new PFI masters.
  11. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

I believe if we had the right to strike Mr pear Blair, Brown bear, baboon Hoon & two jobs Des Brown would very quickly listen to members of all 3 forces instead of this trying to paint a very different picture from what i see (can only speak for myself) in day to day service life. I find it harder to find anyone serving (on submarines, mostly afties) who has the opinion that the RN is in a good state of repair. The sooner that the spin doctors reliase that the lower decks don't give a monkey's feck about the big picture etc and are only interested in subjects like pay, watchbills, time to sea/shore ratio and maybe a decent run ashore maybe the navy will recover. All i see is misery for the guys, like myself stuck inside. Five odd years ago all i heard was it was the fault of the 90's redundancies but things will get better, this in my opinion is true apart from get better, if anything things have got worst.
    Had a little cuckle watching the news last night that the police service pay rise is split, welcome to our world. There was a bit more to the story but a police fed spokeman indicated that the police striking is against the law and maybe its members are begining to ask for a change in the law to allow them to strike. Maybe its time for the forces, police are able to strike. We serve our masters but what happens when your master treats you like sh*t, you roll over and say "please sir, can i have some more"
  12. Just a minor point; some of those blokes and blokesses had already received their P45s

The p**sed off people currently working for Serco are mainly the same who worked directly for RMAS. If something kicked of during their dispute, I'm pretty sure that they would turn too and crack on. In 10 years time, though, who knows.