Navy shipwrecked

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by dogwatcher, Nov 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A Les Sharp wrote in to day's Daily Telegraph that of the 12 recent senior appointments in the Royal Navy, not one was to anything resembling having a sharp and blunt end.
    Certain Senior Promotions and Appointments within the Armed Forces have recently been effectively D noticed.

Would it not now be appropriate to stop publishing Royal Navy Appointments until such times as there are ships (that float) to draft the appointees to?

2. Yep, but alot now do joint ops

3. That is true but they should be soldiers or Royal Marines not sailors

4. I concer however, the MOD is drifting more towards joint ops. Never know where you will meet jack these days

5. Why? If the Army don't have enough then why shouldn't we show that our people are capable enough to take these posts on or don't you consider the Senior Officers of the RN qualified enough to command in these environments?

SF

6. SF I know what you mean mate all for it as long as they do the relevant training and are willing to get their hands dirty. :thumright:

7. Again that is true But what is the point of being "Jack"

8. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Anyone remember a chap called Sandy Woodward? Didn't do too bad a job of being overall I/C of a joint op.

9. Perhaps so. But he did it with his feet on a steel deck on a ship sailing on the Ocean
    That's what sailors used to do

10. got to keep the tradeing routes open

11. Good ole Norman

12. dogwatcher - the world is changing and our role has to change with it. Commanding from a steel deck is exactly what sailors used to do and thankfully many still do, although not nearly as many as we would all like.

In order to survive the next round of cullings or cutbacks [and there is always another one] we have to diversify - to show that we are equally capable in fulfilling these roles. Getting involved in these types of military ops raises our profile and lets the public know what we are truely capable of. Each time we get involved our standing or kudos grows. I speak from my own humble experience from previously serving as the solitary sailor serving in amongst a large contingent of Army and RAF in the sandpit and proving to all that I could do more that tie knots and piss up.

What I am trying to say is that not everything which changes is for the worst and each time one of our senior officers gets appointed to command or work in a joint operational environment it improves our lot overall.

SF

13. Of course things must change. So why a separate Army Air Force and Navy They appear to be able to do one another's jobs so one service and one uniform.
    I recall a problem in South Africa at Simonstown when this tri-service approach was suggested. The newly commissioned ex-RN ratings objected to being called not Lts, Captains or Majors but Cornets .

14. Excuse my ignorance but Cornets??

SF

15. Cornets? isnt that an Ice Cream?

16. I dont agree with a one service one uniform defence force.

Ask the Canuks how well that worked.

17. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

S_F,
    Cornets are, I'm pretty sure, midshipman equivalents in cavalry regiments (ensigns in the infantry?).

18. Silver Fox

What just like the 63rd Naval Division cobbled together out of Surplus ratings and officers and sent off to the Western Front to be human sacrifices to the whims of the Army High Command cos they were running out of poor old Tommy.

Sailor means go to sea to man ships look in the dictionary, when the ships have all been laid up then give them a choice join the army or go outside. If we had wanted to be booties or squaddies we would have joined as that.

Nutty

20. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Nutty, I think you will find it was Churchill who dreamed up the RND, originally to defend Antwerp at the start of WW1. As is often the way it is sometimes easier to start something for a particular reason and then it rolls on, unstoppable, into other environments (like the RAF Regiment). Nearly all the original naval RND went into the bag; later, for Dardanelles and after that in France, it was recruiting from Durham miners; and having lost a lot of its RNVR officers (only a few were RN) army officers were drafted in to make up numbers. The allegedly matelot battalions were brigaded 2 by 2 with RM, and if I have it correctly, the two four-Bn RND bdes were made up to Divisional strength with an army divn all under an army major-general.

In 1964 I met up with an ex-RN SAN chum, one of whose moans was the 'interchangeability' thing - he had been sent an Army WO as 'coxswain' of his minesweeper base, whose want of naval knowledge was a serious drawback.

The pure RN role seems to me to have fallen to bits lately with a superb, modern, amphibious force with no booties to go in it as they have been completely committed to land ops and no air cover for any amphib ops anyway, in spite of the experiences of 1982.