"Navy set to lift ban on women in submarines"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Ninja_Stoker, Jan 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

2. I suppose it was only a matter of time :roll: not to sure if it is good thing though, time will tell although the no touch rule will be tested and how long before a female member of the crew shouts rape!

This is more emotive than when women were allowed to go to sea in warships, a lot of navy wives were not happy then I wonder if submariners wives be any different should the rules be changed to allow women to serve in boats :?:

3. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Once more the woman in boats article states that various nations allow them to serve, none of the nations quoted have nuclear boats, as far as I recall no nuclear country has woman in boats to date.

Given the cost involved and other domestic matters I wonder how many woman actually want to be Submariners in the RN? Have there been any surveys done? Would I be right in thinking that if it does come about then the ladies would be liable to drafting in the same as their male colleagues?

4. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Here we go again. :wink:

5. Ninja_Stoker

6. just cant see how this would a good idea

fleet boats, way too cramped living spaces

SSBNs, as soon as one has to come off patrol because a WREN is pregnant or heaven forbid, she has a complication and a baby is lost whilst on a deterent patrol then they "do gooders" brigade will use that as a stick to bash the service with...

7. witsend

Here we go again. :wink:

8. Ninja_Stoker

9. Sorry, what was that about no more hot bunking?

10. witsend

I think it will happen on bombers first due to the accommodation being superior. I also think that maybe prior to patrols the ladies maybe required or advised to conduct a pregnancy test (Much like everyone has to be in date for dental check-ups and jags). Even if she has a last night of passion before sailing the next day, by the time she returns from sea she will only be pregnant a couple of months. Of course there is the chance of complications, but thats why bombers carry a doc.

What is the max period of time for an abortion, 21, 24 weeks or has it been lower?

11. I'm fully up to date with my mercs and porsches, but I'm afraid I've been a bit lax with my jags lately :wink:

12. Jags n Jockinese word for vaccinations ie, to be jagged :lol:

13. My bad. I assumed it was a reference to how much fcuking money you cnuts make :D

14. It's no different to women being allowed on ships. Get a grip you luddite tarts. In fact women are safer on subs. A. All submariners are rats. B. No submariner has the strength or cognitive faculty to attempt rape. C. There are no runs ashore in Dubai or Magaluf to get them shiters and plough their brains out.

Deal with it, it's progress.

15. witsend

24 weeks

16. Witsend

If something goes wrong with a pregnancy (eg miscarriage), then the casualty needs an ultrasound scan to see what is going on and may need an operation. This would be beyond the remit of a General Duties Medical Officer. The only option in this case would be to fly the casualty off - problematic in a bomber I'd have thought. A negative pregnancy test on the day of sailing wouldn't be all that reassuring either.

I'm not going to re-hash the already-known arguments - mainly because I really should be working!

17. With respect it is different as a Submarine is a totally different environment to a Surface Ship.A few things are constant such as Uniforms and Naval Discipline but the working conditions are poles appart.If the women want to do it good luck to them and if the RN sees it as the right way to go,so be it.

18. To be fair, MLP, I agree with you in principle but I'll reserve judgement until I get a boat later this year. I don't think anyone can express an informed opinion until you experience it first hand.

On point C though - I thought that the minute you get ashore all wrens become instantaneously gopping? Funniest sight I ever saw was the entire female Ships Company of Lusty, alone and absolutely threaders in Hard Rock Cafe in Manila 'cos all their "Sea Husbands" sacked 'em off to go shagging Little Brown **** Machines in the Ezra "Entertainment Complex". Superb.

And on point A - I'm divs. How can I be expected to serve in a boat? :D

19. You may think you are divs.... a shifter will soon sort you out, either that or the SR Mess pres will auction your arse off to the highest bidder!!!!