Navy Rugby

Discussion in 'Sports and Adventure Training' started by 89stavanger, Jun 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My Grandad played rugby for the navy and england but my family don't seem to have any pictures of him doing this or his england caps, is it possible that the navy may have them unlikely though it is. He played 1937 to 1939 where should i ask about this?

2. Hi,

You could try:

www.navyrugbyunion.co.uk

they might be able to advise you better.

:)

3. I think you'll find that the RNRU has no records, particualrly such as photos, of eras past. Very few have ever been retained, other than by individuals. Talk to the Secretary (023 9272 4193), Paul Dunn, but I suspect the answer will be as above.

If you provide name and initials it will be possible to confirm whether capped against the Pongos or Crabs (and how many times).

4. Just had a thought - try the RFU Museum of Rugby and the Library at Twickenham.

5. Thanks guys, He was rear admiral John Kingdon Watkins. Don't know if that was his rank when he was playing, but i doubt it, i think he had 6 or 7 caps at flanker when the war started. I'll follow up all this stuff but i think some other relatives may have nicked all the rugby stuff, this was just a vague hope..

6. In the back of the RN Rugby Union handbook is a listing of every person who has represented the RN ,how many caps they won and also which matches they played in.There is also a listing here(click on Members representing the Royal Navy v Army/RAF):
    http://navyrugbyunion.co.uk/page.php?id=22

The info on Admiral Watkins :
    Watkins J K caps12 v Army 1933-36,38-39 vRAF1933-35,38-39