Navy reservists "rarely go to sea".

Speaking as a reservist, this is not due to a lack of trying by reservists to get on board. Fleet just say they don't need us, if however you speak to people serving in the fleet, extra sets of hands would be welcome and yes we are trained to do more than just clean.

stumpy

War Hero
I think that it shows a level of ignorance by the person making the comment, as there are plenty of jobs that need reservists to do them which are shore based.

dunkers

War Hero
A large proportion of reservists' operational roles aren't seagoing.

Though it would make sense to send all reservists to sea periodically if just to give them some "sea sense".

War Hero
dunkers said:
Indeed. In fact other than Logs, already mentioned, at least two of the other branches would be positively hindered by being at sea and competing with the ship for resource.

Zena01

Dunkers... everyone must now do 2 weeks at sea to qualify for their advancement..... and even in a non sea going branch you can still go to sea if not for your branch but to learn seamanship as it were called. Might be worth youi while checking out your training structure before passing comment... :thumright:

rum_rat

Lantern Swinger
dunkers said:

Though it would make sense to send all reservists to sea periodically if just to give them some "sea sense".
I would agree,

In the 50's,60's & 70's the RN did a joint NATO month long minesweeping exercise annually in the North Sea off the Fresian Islands http://www.kangaloosh.com/map022FriesianIslands.htm Many of the Ton class minesweepers who took part in this exercise were from RNR branches around the UK.

icantfly

Lantern Swinger
Zena01 said:
Dunkers... everyone must now do 2 weeks at sea to qualify for their advancement..... and even in a non sea going branch you can still go to sea if not for your branch but to learn seamanship as it were called. Might be worth youi while checking out your training structure before passing comment... :thumright:
Zena,

As a Loggie, there is nothing in my promotion structure that says I have to, or need to, go to sea. Everything that Loggies do is land-based..

We don't need to learn any kind of seamanship..

~

safewalrus

War Hero
To paraphase the old song~

Whats sea got to do with it? do with it? do with it?

Just because your in the Navy don't mean you have to go to sea on a warship does it? Plenty of jobs were the ability to go to sea is a positive hinderance (mind you the odd 'jolly' is good for moral, not just for the person doing it either!)

i mean you don't have to have wings to join the airforce do you?

Prochnow

Midshipman
In the last year there does appear to be more ships available. I was on a 22 last year, FOST tanker booked later this year. There are a few other things dotted about also.

It's obviously important for any afloat opps. branch to spend time on a war canoe for experience. I think it only took 5mins of being on the ship last year to realise how little I knew about going to sea despite being in GSSR for the last 3 years (sorry 'Above Water Force Protection Reserve Thingy Branch)

Zena01

icantfly said:
Zena01 said:
Zena,

As a Loggie, there is nothing in my promotion structure that says I have to, or need to, go to sea. Everything that Loggies do is land-based..

We don't need to learn any kind of seamanship..

~
Might want to check the promotion structure, as an AB to LH in any other branch you must go to sea to complete your advancement. I'm not saying you have to learn any kind of seamanship but for those people who are actually interested in the Navy and want to know what is goes on at sea the opportunity is there. :wav:

dunkers

War Hero
Zena... nobody is denying that the opportunity is there... it's the infrequency of the opportunity that is the problem, a killick with 2 weeks' seatime in their entire career? Taking the piss a bit is it not?

Zena01

P.S dunkers you should be able to go to sea throughout most of the year, all you need to do is speak with your PSI. :thumright:

fleetchief

Badgeman
Let's be fair, it's not just reservists who rarely go to sea.
We have about 32,000 people. How many war canoes at sea at mo? :farao:

War Hero
dunkers said:
Zena... nobody is denying that the opportunity is there... it's the infrequency of the opportunity that is the problem, a killick with 2 weeks' seatime in their entire career? Taking the piss a bit is it not?
I employed a Warrant Officer in another service who'd spent a total of about six months outside UK

PartTimer

War Hero
Zena01 said:
P.S dunkers you should be able to go to sea throughout most of the year, all you need to do is speak with your PSI. :thumright:
The opportunities may be there, but if it doesn't fall in the training matrix for the branch you will not go. As far as I recall (and please correct me if this has since changed) there is zero requirement for any Loggie to spend any time at sea, Officer or Rate. In fact the only mandatory time at sea in the Loggy world is for Officers during their initial training prior to joining branch.

Further, it's been stated on many occasions by the FE that no training outside of that in the Training Matrix will be tolerated or funded.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS News story: Royal Navy reservists taste life at sea MoD News 0
trehorn Navy Reservists Called in to assist with rampaging Rhino Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
soleil Navy News: "Reservists Honour The 'Forgotten' Invasion Of France" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 12
soleil Navy News: "Reservists Parade Through Portsmouth For The First Time" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 7
R Royal Navy Handymen The Fleet 15
B how to find service number royal navy Site Issues 7
soleil P. News: "Royal Navy's HMS Sultan Forced To Cancel Popular Fireworks Due To Covid-19" Bases / Shore Est 4
H Royal Navy Push up standards Joining the Royal Navy 5
J Navy or RAF Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 8
soleil FB: NAVYFit - Squash - 1SL v The Chief Of The Australian Navy Sports and Adventure Training 1
higthepig Navy news August 2020 The Quarterdeck 0
S Transfer from Army to Navy Joining the Royal Navy 8
D Both parents in the Royal Navy Joining the Royal Navy 1
soleil FB: National Museum Of The Royal Navy - On This Day - Sir Thomas Sean Connery Was Born History 2
MoD_RSS DIO completes state-of-the-art gym for Royal Navy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK launches multinational training to enhance Ukrainian Navy against threats from the East MoD News 0
soleil Somerset Live: Royal Navy 'Legend' Still Flying After 50 Years And 9,200 Hours In The Air The Fleet Air Arm 2
soleil FB: Navy Wings: 'The Wrong Sort Of Air' ……......…..... The Fleet Air Arm 3
soleil Dorset Echo: "‘Does Anyone Know My Old Navy Friend?" The Quarterdeck 4
T Navy Entry Date Marine Engineer Joining the Royal Navy 4
T Application process-Royal Navy Joining the Royal Navy 8
T Fitness Test Royal Navy Joining the Royal Navy 15
T Commissioning from army to navy (hopefully) UPO/Careers Office 24
D Navy CBAT/FATs Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
soleil FB: Royal Navy & Royal Marines Charity - Black Tot Day - 50th Anniversary History 11
soleil FB: Navy Wings - Aircrew Logbooks The Fleet Air Arm 2
MoD_RSS Glen Mallan jetty refurbishment to support Royal Navy’s surface fleets MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Stena Superfast VII and Royal Navy submarine report published MoD News 0
J Navy to raf apprenticeship Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
soleil Royal Navy International Air Day - Online - Saturday, July 11th 2020 The Fleet Air Arm 2
N Royal Navy Drugs Policy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 36
T What is the contract of service for the royal navy rating? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
higthepig Navy news June 2020 The Quarterdeck 3
soleil Portsmouth News: "Royal Navy flyers Land On Pitching Postage Stamp Deck | Nostalgia" The Fleet Air Arm 14
soleil FB: RMRN: Take A Look Around HMS Holland I, The First Submarine To Be Commissioned By The Royal Navy Submariners 0
D Navy as a last resort option Joining the Royal Navy 61
C RFA or Royal Navy? Older applicant Joining the Royal Navy 33
soleil FB: "Sea King XV666 ‘Damien’ Visits The Navy Wings Heritage Hangar On The 50th Anniversary Of The First Flight" The Fleet Air Arm 56
Z Royal Navy triage call Submariners 5
H I want to join the navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 31
J Can I join the Navy if I was previously on Anti-Depressants? Joining the Royal Navy 51
MoD_RSS Royal Navy joins NATO allies on major maritime exercise in the Baltic Sea region MoD News 0
higthepig Navy news May 2020 The Quarterdeck 1
S US Navy leadership culture International 4
B Royal Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
soleil Portsmouth News: "34 Great Old Photos Of The Famous Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier HMS Hermes" The Fleet 1
soleil Sun: "Royal Navy Submarine Crews Face 14-day Quarantine To Prevent Coronavirus Outbreak" Submariners 7
soleil Portsmouth News: "Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier HMS Prince Of Wales To Carry Out Investigation After Flooding Onboard" The Fleet 16
soleil Scuba Diver Mag: "Heart of Oak – On Board The Royal Navy’s HMS Richmond" The Fleet 0
soleil YT: Royal Navy - An Interview With F-35 Pilot Lt Cdr Stephen Collins, Call Sign Lothar The Fleet Air Arm 1