Navy Reservist awarded MBE for anti-piracy work

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by MoD_RSS, Jan 6, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. Interesting how this RNR officer received the MBE but this other RNR three badge AB hasn't even received her OSM Afghan medal, yet she has been praised here by the media for her bravery in Afghanistan?

Her five medals shown below are [2 Nato medals, Iraq medal,QGJM & VRSM].
    (enlarge the photo of her sitting with Prince Harry)

Sun Millies Award to Top Naval Reservist | Royal Navy

3. Fair point SJRM RN, I wonder will she also receive an award from the Queen for her bravery? If so
    along with her OSM and the QDJM medal 2012 she may end up with 8 gongs. Not bad for a three badge AB RNR.
    Maybe they will give her promotion to killick or PO as well.

4. Why would she receive an award for her bravery. You don't have much of an idea about the Honours and Awards system do you?

5. alfred_the_great, do you know all those members of HM Armed Forces whose names have been forwarded for an award to be approved by the HD committee in the next 6 months? So how do you know why she wont receive an award?

6. I don't, but I asked why would should she receive an award. Go to ARRSE and they can produce story after story of similar bravery being "unrewarded" by a medal. The way it works within an operational environment, as well as the difference between requirements for an operational bravery decoration and a Queen's Birthday award for service, means she is unlikely to be rewarded.

And let me make it very clear - if she is awarded, then it would be fantastic, and I doff my hat to her.

7. "- if she is awarded, then it would be fantastic, and I doff my hat to her."

Even if she was to get an MID so would I.

8. Look at the bootie lads who hung on to the side of the apaches helo's. They recieved no award for their bravery. Yet it was deemed an act of bravery enough for the pilots to awarded.

Not everyone is automatically given a bravery medal.

Also promotion in her AET RNR branch is not high. Hence she's still a 3 badge AB. So I doubt because of her brave act as a medic she will be promoted over an other RNR AB AET who is also good enough in their branch

Every turn of the shaft is a new adventure. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

"Look at the bootie lads who hung on to the side of the apaches helo's. They recieved no award for their bravery. Yet it was deemed an act of bravery enough for the pilots to awarded."

Didnt they get the MC / CGC for that?

Also, and back on track, I'm absolutely delighted for Chris. I've known him since he was an acting Subby, and I struggle to think of a more dedicated, hard working and throughly nice bloke. He's hugely dedicated to the RNR and to UKHO, and is a massive credit to the service. BZ Mate!

10. Nope I know one of them on board. Only the pilots got awarded for it. The booties hanging off the side by their arms got nothing as they were doing their job.

Every turn of the shaft is a new adventure. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

"Nope I know one of them on board. Only the pilots got awarded for it. The booties hanging off the side by their arms got nothing as they were doing their job. "

Wow - genuinely surprised at that! I suppose the realisation that the marines in question would never need to buy a round of drinks, or fancy new french knickers, again for the rest of their careers probably swayed the awards panel:-D

12. I wouldn't be at all surprised if she isn't that bothered about promotion.

3 badges and the medals that were talked about earlier - Former Yugoslavia to (not yet issued) Afghanistan spanning the whole period of her service. In the article it is also apparent that she has a decent job as a civilian.

I suspect that she is a reservist because she enjoys serving her country in an operational context, rather than because she wants to climb any promotion ladders. Much respect due.

13. AB Mich Ping, the RNR Paramedic Lass came over proud and well on the Millies, that’s for sure. The story of her bravery was humbling to us lesser mortals. I must say TOMM90 that she was very lucky that she didn’t end up eligible for one of the other Medals you lobby for.http://www.navy-net.co.uk/current-affairs/56857-should-wia-receive-elizabeth-medal.html
    Is she a Shipmate of yours? I got the impression that she was smitten by the big Highlander whose life she saved, a rival perhaps? If your lobbying gets her a Medal who knows!!!! Seriously, I never got the impression that she was miffed over a lack of an operational award; she was just proud that she had done her job in extreme danger. I have looked on the MOD website, Sgt Ryan McCready, who again came over on the Millies as a very brave young man, has not received an operational award either and the List for that Herrick has been published. Perhaps the Millies and subsequent publicity was their award. General Sir Graeme Lamb summed up all of those currently facing danger when he described team as “ Hearts of Iron in Wooden Ships”. Lt Gen Lamb speaks for all of us in the Armed Forces | Steve Baker MP

14. Stupid me, just realised that AB Mich Ping is not an RNR Medic at all! Although she is a NHS Paramedic in civilian life, her reservist role is as AET in Leeds RNR. I assume she volunteered or “was” volunteered to mobilise for Herrick in her Civilian Role as a Paramedic! This would explain why she was manning a FOB Aid Post with the Highlanders.

I may be wrong, but I seem to recall that on the Millie night PO (Aircrewman) Mike Henson was not wearing any Medals. He is another brave man who stepped up the plate some 14 times during one very hairy rescue. I wonder if he is miffed or feeling inferior because he has no Medals? Somehow I doubt it.

Well done to both of them and to all serving in Sandy places.