Navy Reserves Query

Firstly, thanks for taking the time to read this.

I'm currently 17 and am in full time college education. After the completion of my A Levels, I plan to join the Royal Navy as an Officer, with Observer or Pilot roles being considered. However, I know that any sort of volunteering work is a significant advantage in the application process. I already have a voluntary Royal Navy/Marine's day through college at HMS Drake later this month - However, I think joining the Navy Reserves would benefit me hugely in preparation for my Naval career.

However, I leave college next July, so currently have 9 months before I leave full time education. In that time, I need to apply for an Officer role. Before that though, I would like to become a reservist to gain both volunteering and military experience. So, my question is - Do I have enough time to join the Reserves and gain experience, before applying for the full officer role sometime early next year? (It'll likely be February-ish)

Thanks very much,
Tom.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
You certainly have time to join the RNR but whether you'll gain much of an insight into joining the regular service, specifically as a pilot is doubtful and probably of limited value for just nine months.

The RNR and RMR are not specifically designed as an insight, they are intended to augment the trained strength of the regular service.

To be fair, a good number join the Maritime Reserves to gain a wider appreciation of the Naval Service but to reach the status of trained rating/rank can take as much as 5 years/18 months (RNR/RMR) respectively. The transient nature of those joining just to gain an insight frequently skews the inflow/outflow stats, making it appear outwardly that the Maritime Reserves haemorrhage manpower at an alarming rate.

Obviously some do join the Reserves with just this intent, enjoy it and remain but unless joining for a couple of years or more, it is of limited value to the individual or the service - that's one of the functions of the URNU/OTC or UAS for those at Uni. There will inevitably be some who do or did just this and find or found it of benefit to themselves, if not the service beyond providing a temporary statistic of dodgy provenance.

Branch-Hopper

War Hero
Obviously some do join the Reserves with just this intent, enjoy it and remain but unless joining for a couple of tears or more, it is of limited value to the individual or the service - that's one of the functions of the URNU/OTC or UAS for those at Uni. There will inevitably be some who do or did just this and find or found it of benefit to themselves, if not the service beyond providing a temporary statistic of dodgy provenance.
A frighteningly accurate Freudian slip!!
:rolleyes:

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
While it may be of some limited value as an insight, what you may find is that getting to BRNC having done some of it, is not only is the adage 'a little knowledge is a dangerous thing' very true, but also going through basic training is more fun when its new and novel...

I'd suggest URNU as a much better route more optimised to giving you the experience you specifically seek.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil Press & Journal: "North-East MP Calls For Navy To Bring Back Uni Reserves To Aberdeen" SCC and URNU 4
soleil FE News: "Novatech Ltd Turn Royal Navy Reserves Training Virtual With New RHIB Simulators" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 8
N Joining RNR reserves before Navy-regular? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
baldie Royal Navy Reserves whilst applying to be Officer? Joining the Royal Navy 6
Anchorarmsjoe92 Joining the Royal Navy Reserves Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
soleil Daily Telegraph: "Royal Navy 'Focused' On Increasing Number Of Reserves" (+Video) Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 8
soleil Bristol Poppy Day - £21,400 Thanks From The Royal Navy Reserves Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
trehorn Canadian Navy / Reserves International 26
K Royal Navy Reserves Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
soleil Pompey News: "Mumbai Terror Casualty Joins Navy Reserves" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 4
scotsparamedic Paramedic already in RAF Reserves transfer possible to Navy? The Quarterdeck 8
S US Navy leadership culture International 4
B Royal Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
soleil Portsmouth News: "34 Great Old Photos Of The Famous Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier HMS Hermes" The Fleet 1
soleil Sun: "Royal Navy Submarine Crews Face 14-day Quarantine To Prevent Coronavirus Outbreak" Submariners 7
soleil Portsmouth News: "Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier HMS Prince Of Wales To Carry Out Investigation After Flooding Onboard" The Fleet 16
soleil Scuba Diver Mag: "Heart of Oak – On Board The Royal Navy’s HMS Richmond" The Fleet 0
soleil YT: Royal Navy - An Interview With F-35 Pilot Lt Cdr Stephen Collins, Call Sign Lothar The Fleet Air Arm 1
soleil VE Day 75 - A Royal Navy Retrospective The Fleet 0
H Navy or RAF Nursing? Joining the Royal Navy 7
soleil The News: "Royal Navy Warships To Blast Sirens And Light The Sky As Portsmouth Marks VE Day" The Fleet 9
soleil Helensburgh Advertiser: "Royal Navy To Pay Faslane Tribute On VE Day 75th Anniversary" Bases / Shore Est 7
S Merchant Navy to RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 3
soleil The News: "Royal Navy Destroyer Prone To Breaking Down In The Gulf Leaves Portsmouth For Key Engine Upgrade" The Fleet 3
soleil FB: "Video About The Royal Navy Photographic Branch, Created By Leading Photographer Dan Shepherd" #RNPhoto100 The Fleet 0
D What's wrong with the navy today? The Gash Barge 25
soleil FB: Royal Australian Navy Band - In Flanders Fields - Anzac Day 2020 History 1
A Am I banned from joining the navy? Joining the Royal Navy 19
M Holiday booked will I still be able to go if I start my navy application? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
soleil FB: National Museum Of The Royal Navy - Warrior Webcam Bases / Shore Est 1
0 Joining the Navy as AET compared to RAF aircraft technician Joining the Royal Navy 26
soleil FB: Royal Navy and Royal Marines Charity - RNRMC Submarine Fund (RNRMC-SMF) Submariners 1
D Corona virus-Will Navy Net ever recover? Diamond Lil's 20
higthepig Navy news March 2020 The Quarterdeck 0
E Considering joining the Royal Navy- looking for advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
soleil Daily Record: "Royal Navy Crew Salute NHS Staff On River Clyde In Show Of Thanks Amidst Coronavirus Lockdown" The Fleet 0
soleil LadBible: "Former Navy Submariner Shares Coping Strategies For Self-Isolation And Social Distancing" Submariners 3
H Army JNCO to Navy Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
soleil Army v Navy Rugby Match, May 2nd 2020, Cancellation Sports and Adventure Training 0
higthepig Navy news February 2020 The Quarterdeck 0
D What do biomedical scientists do in the Navy? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
soleil KL.FM 96.7: "Navy Boat Visit For King's Lynn" SCC and URNU 3
soleil Asian Image: "Royal Navy Admiral Visits Birmingham’s Central Mosque" The Fleet 2
soleil The Maritime Executive: "How the Royal Navy Searches Boats for Narcotics" The Fleet 6
soleil Royal Navy And Royal Marines Charity - Build Your Own Aircraft Carrier Charity 2
H How long is a contract in Royal Navy? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
D Is the Royal Navy psychometric test the same for the Royal Marines? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
C Are the Royal Marines part of the Royal Navy itself? The Corps 5
higthepig Navy news January 2020 The Quarterdeck 2
soleil FB: "A Royal Navy Valentine" The Fleet 1