Navy Reserves Query

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by thomasd221, Oct 2, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Firstly, thanks for taking the time to read this.

I'm currently 17 and am in full time college education. After the completion of my A Levels, I plan to join the Royal Navy as an Officer, with Observer or Pilot roles being considered. However, I know that any sort of volunteering work is a significant advantage in the application process. I already have a voluntary Royal Navy/Marine's day through college at HMS Drake later this month - However, I think joining the Navy Reserves would benefit me hugely in preparation for my Naval career.

However, I leave college next July, so currently have 9 months before I leave full time education. In that time, I need to apply for an Officer role. Before that though, I would like to become a reservist to gain both volunteering and military experience. So, my question is - Do I have enough time to join the Reserves and gain experience, before applying for the full officer role sometime early next year? (It'll likely be February-ish)

Thanks very much,
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You certainly have time to join the RNR but whether you'll gain much of an insight into joining the regular service, specifically as a pilot is doubtful and probably of limited value for just nine months.

The RNR and RMR are not specifically designed as an insight, they are intended to augment the trained strength of the regular service.

To be fair, a good number join the Maritime Reserves to gain a wider appreciation of the Naval Service but to reach the status of trained rating/rank can take as much as 5 years/18 months (RNR/RMR) respectively. The transient nature of those joining just to gain an insight frequently skews the inflow/outflow stats, making it appear outwardly that the Maritime Reserves haemorrhage manpower at an alarming rate.

Obviously some do join the Reserves with just this intent, enjoy it and remain but unless joining for a couple of years or more, it is of limited value to the individual or the service - that's one of the functions of the URNU/OTC or UAS for those at Uni. There will inevitably be some who do or did just this and find or found it of benefit to themselves, if not the service beyond providing a temporary statistic of dodgy provenance.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. A frighteningly accurate Freudian slip!!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

While it may be of some limited value as an insight, what you may find is that getting to BRNC having done some of it, is not only is the adage 'a little knowledge is a dangerous thing' very true, but also going through basic training is more fun when its new and novel...

I'd suggest URNU as a much better route more optimised to giving you the experience you specifically seek.