Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Navy recruiting

I just happend to see ( on tonighs TV) an advert for sailors to join the RN, but no one had a sailors costume on, the type of navy the command were advertising all had officer type donky jackets, is this telling us that jolly jacks outfit is to be burried at last. the RN must be desperate for men recruits, the girlies can keep the sailors costume.

There is a new campaign starting, but I'm not aware there has been any major uniform changes other than Vesting Day earlier this year when many were all given new branch badges & titles.

Whilst it would be foolish to be complacent, we generally recruit around 4,000 recruits a year, so "desperate" is not quite an accurate term. if we didn't need to recruit, we wouldn't waste money advertising.

What is interesting is that many who would previously have applied for the Army, appear to be applying for the Navy because of the massive overseas burden placed on the Army. Having said that, it's always been difficult to recruit Royal Marine Commandos in sufficient quantity.

huffnut_cringe said:
I just happend to see ( on tonighs TV) an advert for sailors to join the RN, but no one had a sailors costume on, the type of navy the command were advertising all had officer type donky jackets, is this telling us that jolly jacks outfit is to be burried at last. the RN must be desperate for men recruits, the girlies can keep the sailors costume.

I am sure that this post is completely relevent in the FAA section... :sign4:

I agree, potentially a good thread for Lil's though! so off it goes

Ninja_Stoker said:
What is interesting is that many who would previously have applied for the Army, appear to be applying for the Navy because of the massive overseas burden placed on the Army. Having said that, it's always been difficult to recruit Royal Marine Commandos in sufficient quantity.

Has the recent ITV 'Commando: On the front line' series helped with people interested in joining?

Bored WAFU apologies for editing your post I had a Doh! moment and then another Doh! moment when I sent it to the Quarterdeck, still it might be OK in here but obviously has potential for Lil's :rendeer:

chieftiff said:
Bored WAFU apologies for editing your post I had a Doh! moment and then another Doh! moment when I sent it to the Quarterdeck, still it might be OK in here but obviously has potential for Lil's :rendeer:

TSK, TSK, I do hope you're not deleting peoples' posts CT?!

huffnut_cringe said:
I just happend to see ( on tonighs TV) an advert for sailors to join the RN, but no one had a sailors costume :dwarf: on, the type of navy the command were advertising all had officer type donky jackets, is this telling us that jolly jacks outfit is to be burried at last. the RN must be desperate for men recruits, the girlies can keep the sailors costume.

COSTUME???? Isnt that what you wear when swimming

Ninja_Stoker said:
chieftiff said:

Uh! er! no, actually I added a line, those quote and edit buttons are too close together!, at least I won't get any threads asking "where's my post gone!" :whew:

chieftiff said:
Ninja_Stoker said:
chieftiff said:

Uh! er! no, actually I added a line, those quote and edit buttons are too close together!, at least I won't get any threads asking "where's my post gone!" :whew:

Not a problem, send it to the barge if you like, posted by an idiot anyway :money:

chieftiff said:
Ninja_Stoker said:
chieftiff said:

CT, do you want to borrow my specs, yours seem to be failing you.... :thumright:

Ninja_Stoker said:
There is a new campaign starting, but I'm not aware there has been any major uniform changes other than Vesting Day earlier this year when many were all given new branch badges & titles.

Whilst it would be foolish to be complacent, we generally recruit around 4,000 recruits a year, so "desperate" is not quite an accurate term. if we didn't need to recruit, we wouldn't waste money advertising.

Could it be the thought of being killed that is off-putting? Little chance, currently, of suffering that fate in the RN.

sgtpepperband wrote....Does your Social Worker know you're out this late on your own?!
boredwafu wrote.... posted by an idiot anyway

Just the sort of answer I would expect from people who disagree with something, but canot argue logically against it. lets start again and you pair make your point for keeping the sailor suit.

The uniform is not a tradition its just a uniform and as such should evolve, in fact the RN has only got three traditions.

"Rum, sodomy and the lash"
The only traditions of the Royal Navy are rum, sodomy and the lash. - -- Churchill's assistant, Anthony Montague-Browne said "that although Churchill had not uttered these words, he wished he had."

Rum finished in 1970 and I finished 18 months before that but rumour was rife and we new it was comming, the old sea dogs were full of doom and gloom saying it would be the end of the navy and anyway it would never happen, well it did and the navy is better for it. Floggins ended a long,long time ago, although there are a few Commanders and above who wish it had not. As for sodomy im not sure about that, the RN seems to actively encouraging gay pride marches and suchlike but if a sailor touches a girl sailor he`s for the highjump.
The sailors suit is the most impractical garment ever designed, exceedinly wide leg bottoms swishing all over the place, tight sleeves on a frock like jacket (try playing darts in it) a girls type blouse, a piece of material on the back that always blowing about in the wind, a piece of string and cloth hanging round your neck tied up with a ribbon and on ones heas a milk churn lid with a ribbon tied in a bow. this is the state of the naval uniform in the 21st century.
If Senior officers think this costume is so wonderfull I sugest that it should be worn by all the navy, Jr`s Sr`s officers, one assumes its all the same service so why the vast difference.
I have known one or two PO`s who have been derated to killick for doing things they should have known better, and when I spoke to them about the pay loss they ignored that and said the most most humilitating experience was going back to a sailors suit. Nuff said.