Navy orders a new sub

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by plymwebed, May 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The MoD has placed a £200million order for another sub, to be named HMS Audacious. Click here for more

2. Two die in horror crash :?:

3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

4. Wasn't batch two supposed to contain three hulls, not just one?

5. Yet another wildly inaccurate media report - £200 million ...we wish !!!, they'll be telling us that a T45 is only £200 million next. As an example, Triumph commissioned in 1991 and cost about £330million, how interesting that in these inflationary times BAe are saving us money. The fact is that the "long lead" items for boat 4 were ordered long ago and are already made. When are the next 3 to be ordered? - now that is a very good question. We need 7/8 in service by 2022 when the last T boat (Triumph) is due to decommission. Based on the time taken to build Astute so far, we had better get a move on.

6. Excellent! The USN's latest sub was just christened last month. Named after my home state, the USS North Carolina is to join the fleet in 2008.

http://www.sublant.navy.mil/html/nc777.html

You just can't have too many fast attack subs. :lol:

7. The First Sea Lord Admiral Sir Jonathon Band said: "We need a versatile maritime force across the operational spectrum. Astute forms a key part of this future programme and is designed as a multi role platform. The first of these immensely powerful submarines, HMS Astute, is launched next month and I look forward to her entry into service with her sisters, Ambush and Artful - and now the fourth of the class, Audacious. These boats will help protect Britain's interests overseas for decades to come.

Got news for you Bandy, you'll be collecting your pension long before you see the last two in service… :wink:

8. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

JB: "And I look forward to being wheeled out on Sky/ITN/BBC to give my opinion on the matter, and also to promote my recently-published memoirs..." :twisted:

9. The "A" names seem a bit odd, why not use the names of the Type 21,s eg Attacker, Avenger, Amazon etc etc they seem a bit more war like!!

And, if it would bring in some sponsorship: HMS AOL...!!

10. Fair point, but why should the British MoD invest in Cubas medical capabilities?

:D

11. Why would we wish to name them after previous T21 frigates when we can name them after previous A class submarines :?: You don't necessarily need to overtly "war like" names and remember we have a warship called St Albans! (anyone remember the "why do we names warships after shopping centres" letter in Navy News?)

12. Wash your mouth out with Teepol

Submarines have their own A names and hopefully we will not use too many 'target' names this time round

13. Dont knock it, where do you think future NHS Drs/Nurses will be coming from ???

14. Exactly, when we have all these names to chose from

Built at Vickers-Armstrong, Barrow-in-Furness
    Amphion (P439/S43) (laid down as Anchorite but name changed before launch)
    Astute (P447)
    Auriga (P419)
    Aurochs (P426)
    Alcide (P415)
    Alderney (P416/S66)
    Alliance (P417/S67) (now at Royal Navy Submarine Museum, Gosport)
    Ambush (P418)
    Anchorite (P422) (originally laid down as Amphion but name changed before launch)
    Andrew (P423)
    [edit]Built at Cammell Laird, Birkenhead
    Affray (P421) (the last British submarine lost at sea)
    Aeneas (P427)
    Alaric (P441)
    [edit]Built at Scotts of Greenock
    Artemis (P449/S49)
    Artful (P456)
    [edit]Built at HM Dockyard, Chatham
    Acheron (P411)

15. Odd isn`t it? In Rome, all of their ancient sites are called after London Cinemas.

16. My mouth has now be cleansed, sorry!

17. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Given their history I doubt that Affray and Artemis will be used, Alliance is probably out as well because the last of the old A class is on display at the Submarine Museum

There was a petition started a while ago to drop the names chosen for the next three Astute boats, so that they could perhaps pick some of the old A boat names, as usual no one listens and another tradition dies

18. Oh well, I guess that is it then.. What are the odds on whether we see any more ordered!!! A few years ago when I was on a V Boat, we were already STOROB'ing from the A-Boat stores pile - and they hadnt even started cutting the steel....

19. You people are lucky you have some half decent names to choose from. I was at the keel laying of HMAS Collins when the Minister of Defence announced the names for the new SM class, which had been a closely guarded secret. After his announcement there was polite applause from all the various dignitaries and civvies present, but from the submariners ranks you could have heard a pin drop.

We were expecting something a bit more aggressive and warlike, or at least a common theme like the O boats had. What we got was the names of officers and one sailor who had outstanding WWII careers, most having been killed while fighting gloriously against overwhelming odds. Not to take anything away from these men, but their names do not really lend themselves to a warship or submarine and were a complete departure from RAN tradition.