Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Navy or RAF

I can’t decide between joining the Royal Navy reserves or Royal Air Force reserves. I know I don’t want to join the army. I’ve been thinking about it for years and I now I’ve got a good job where senior management are very supportive of reservists (civil service), I should actually get on with it.

This may sound strange, especially for the Navy, (people can think what they want frankly), but I’d like to serve in a role which is still more likely to see me serve in the UK when deployed. I understand, of course, there is always going to be a possibility of being deployed abroad.

For the navy, I’d be interested in the General Entry Officer Reserve programme, hopefully ending up in Intelligence or Maritime Trade Operations. For the RAF, I’d be interested in Intelligence or Air & Space Operations, but I understand I would join as an airman.

I know this is a navy forum, so you’re more likely to know about that than RAF. Does anyone have any idea which roles would be most likely to see me deployed at UK locations? I’ve heard about MTO being located in Dubai? And intelligence mainly in Bedfordshire? But I don’t know many specifics.

This may sound strange, especially for the Navy, (people can think what they want frankly), but I’d like to serve in a role which is still more likely to see me serve in the UK when deployed. I understand, of course, there is always going to be a possibility of being deployed abroad.

JJ

Do you have a particular reason for not wishing to be deployed to locations outside the UK?

Do you have a particular reason for not wishing to be deployed to locations outside the UK?
I'd like to see the answer to this question before I attempt any input.

ETA: @soleil has pointed out to me that you were fishing for info on intelligence postings three years ago; we refused to answer your questions then, and you have not posted since.

Your call.

Last edited:
I guess this thread shows there are those that do and those that just ask!!!!

Based on that - RAF I would suggest would be your best decision!!!

Couldn't handle working with an indecisive officer!!!

Latest Threads