Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Navy or RAF

JackJones

I can’t decide between joining the Royal Navy reserves or Royal Air Force reserves. I know I don’t want to join the army. I’ve been thinking about it for years and I now I’ve got a good job where senior management are very supportive of reservists (civil service), I should actually get on with it.

This may sound strange, especially for the Navy, (people can think what they want frankly), but I’d like to serve in a role which is still more likely to see me serve in the UK when deployed. I understand, of course, there is always going to be a possibility of being deployed abroad.

For the navy, I’d be interested in the General Entry Officer Reserve programme, hopefully ending up in Intelligence or Maritime Trade Operations. For the RAF, I’d be interested in Intelligence or Air & Space Operations, but I understand I would join as an airman.

I know this is a navy forum, so you’re more likely to know about that than RAF. Does anyone have any idea which roles would be most likely to see me deployed at UK locations? I’ve heard about MTO being located in Dubai? And intelligence mainly in Bedfordshire? But I don’t know many specifics.

soleil

War Hero
This may sound strange, especially for the Navy, (people can think what they want frankly), but I’d like to serve in a role which is still more likely to see me serve in the UK when deployed. I understand, of course, there is always going to be a possibility of being deployed abroad.

JJ

Do you have a particular reason for not wishing to be deployed to locations outside the UK?

Branch-Hopper

War Hero
Do you have a particular reason for not wishing to be deployed to locations outside the UK?
I'd like to see the answer to this question before I attempt any input.

ETA: @soleil has pointed out to me that you were fishing for info on intelligence postings three years ago; we refused to answer your questions then, and you have not posted since.

Your call.

Last edited:

Alfacharlie

War Hero
Just go with the uniform.
RAF - Thunderbird
RN - Hard as nails ‘’Mr Matey look a like” sex machine.

Up to you though.

Waspie

War Hero
I guess this thread shows there are those that do and those that just ask!!!!

Based on that - RAF I would suggest would be your best decision!!!

Couldn't handle working with an indecisive officer!!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Navy to raf apprenticeship Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
H Navy or RAF Nursing? Joining the Royal Navy 7
0 Joining the Navy as AET compared to RAF aircraft technician Joining the Royal Navy 26
J Applying for pilot roles in Navy and RAF simultaneously Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 46
soleil Portsmouth News: "HMS Queen Elizabeth: Royal Navy, RAF & Army Form Up For Stunning Remembrance Day Tribute On Deck" The Fleet 3
W Intrigued - average navy wage vs RAF wage? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
soleil Mirror: "How The RAF Grew In 100 Years From One Navy Officer With A Pilot Licence To Today's Elite Fighting Force" History 1
Wazza082 RT - Navy & RAF Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
M AET - Difference in RAF / Navy waiting time Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
RAFEddie Transferring from the RAF to Royal Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
A Navy vs RAF vs Army pilots? The Fleet Air Arm 13
soleil Campaign: "Engine Wins Joint RAF And Navy Pitch" Current Affairs 1
MoD_RSS News story: RAF and Navy helicopters assist weather-stricken communities MoD News 7
Waspie Navy 1 - RAF 0 The Fleet Air Arm 3
soleil Herald: "Couple Quit The RAF And Get New Jobs In The Navy" Bases / Shore Est 11
soleil Royal Navy Sea Kings Arrive At RAF Northolt For Olympic Airspace Security The Fleet Air Arm 4
MoD_RSS Data reveals Navy's and RAF's busiest Search and Rescue units Current Affairs 2
MoD_RSS RAF and Royal Navy continue action against Gaddafi forces Current Affairs 5
MoD_RSS RAF and Navy take further action against pro-Gaddafi forces Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS RAF and Navy take further action against pro-Gaddafi forces Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS Navy and RAF Search and Rescue teams in action Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS RAF and Navy in further action over Libya Current Affairs 0
soleil Mail: "RAF And Royal Navy Pilots In The Cockpit On Your British Airways Holiday Jet" The Fleet Air Arm 1
MoD_RSS RAF and Navy continue to strike at Gaddafi regime Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS RAF and Navy strike targets in Tripoli Current Affairs 0
soleil Guardian: "Royal Navy Airpower Offers A Far Cheaper Option Overseas Than The RAF" Current Affairs 5
MoD_RSS RAF and Navy patrol Libyan skies and seas Current Affairs 0
soleil T'graph: "British Armed Forces: Army, Navy And RAF In Stats" Current Affairs 31
soleil T'graph: RAF Can Be Trimmed, But Cuts To Navy & Army Insane Current Affairs 7
soleil Pompey News: Rugby Union: Navy to take on RAF in Portsmouth Sports and Adventure Training 0
soleil S. Times: "Cutbacks for both the Royal Navy and the RAF" Current Affairs 11
scotsparamedic Paramedic already in RAF Reserves transfer possible to Navy? The Quarterdeck 8
P Transferring from the RAF to the Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
MoD_RSS Royal Navy seizes over 450kg in the largest methamphetamine drug bust in the Middle East MoD News 0
soleil FB: National Museum Of The Royal Navy: 215th Anniversary Of The Battle Of Trafalgar History 2
soleil FB: Royal Navy And Royal Marines Charity - Hosting Your Own Trafalgar Night/Pickle Night Dinner History 2
soleil Express: "Submarine Sparks Panic In Scotland As Onlookers Mistake Royal Navy Exercise For Fire" Submariners 2
sampost Jubilee Sailing Trust announces pioneering collaboration with the Royal Navy Sports and Adventure Training 2
soleil Royal Navy Recipients In The Queen's Birthday Honours List 2020 Current Affairs 2
soleil FB: Royal Navy And Royal Marines Charity: World Uckers Championship 2020 The Fleet 1
soleil The Times: "Life On The Ocean Wave: The Royal Navy Photographic Awards" The Fleet 1
soleil BBC: "HMS Queen Elizabeth: On board The Royal Navy's New Aircraft Carrier" The Fleet 0
MoD_RSS Royal Navy seize £160 million worth of drugs in the Caribbean MoD News 1
higthepig Navy news September 2020 The Quarterdeck 0
soleil NWE Mail: "Barrow Built Submarine Becomes Inaugural Winner Of A New Royal Navy Commendation" Submariners 2
soleil New Badge For Trainee Royal Navy Submariners Submariners 18
M Royal Navy interviews Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
D Royal Navy Handymen The Fleet 21
B how to find service number royal navy Site Issues 7
soleil P. News: "Royal Navy's HMS Sultan Forced To Cancel Popular Fireworks Due To Covid-19" Bases / Shore Est 4