Navy or RAF Nursing?

Hello wise folk,
I am looking to take a degree in Nursing after finishing college next year. I am keen to join the armed forces as a nurse and possibly a nursing officer later on, but I am torn between the RAF and the Royal Navy. So I am wondering what people think is the better option.

soleil

War Hero
Hello wise folk,
I am looking to take a degree in Nursing after finishing college next year. I am keen to join the armed forces as a nurse and possibly a nursing officer later on, but I am torn between the RAF and the Royal Navy. So I am wondering what people think is the better option.
Defence medicine has been streamlined over the last two decades and much of the nursing in the Armed Forces is now Tri-Service. At the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham, for instance, there are nurses from all three services.

I was going to say that Naval Nurses would have the opportunity to go to sea, when RFA Argus is deployed - RFA Argus is a complete medical facility - but the medical personnel are actually Tri-Service there too.

There must be sea-going drafts for Naval Nurses on the new carriers, which have larger medical facilities than the smaller ships.

Naval Nurses were in Afghanistan and Iraq, of course. They are also part of the team when the Navy is doing humanitarian work, the Ebola crisis being a good example.

Something which may be true is that, if you switched from regular service to the Reserves at some point, you might find it easier to find a Naval Unit to be attached to, but I'm not actually sure what the situation would be in the RAF as a Reservist.

There are good points to be made about joining any of the three Services as a Nurse, to be honest.

Having said that, I would always advocate making Naval Nursing your first port of call.

Something you do need to know is that there is a lot of competition for this role. Naval Nurse applicants have to be interviewed by a Board and it's pretty tough - some candidates have to try more than once to get in.

You should give it a go, though!

One last thing - make sure that you know what the academic requirements are for entry as a Naval Nurse (Student).

soleil

War Hero
Some of the Royal Navy's Nurses are appearing on Social Media today - there is something about one of them on Instagram.

Harry Palmer

Midshipman
Hello wise folk,
I’m not a nurse ... just to put this into context... but I work with a lot of them!

I have worked @Tri Service Units with nursing colleagues and the question you have to ask is what you want out of your career?

If I’m being completely honest ... if I were a nurse I’d have joined the PMRAFNS. I love the RN don’t get me wrong and have great respect for the QARRNS but I think the RAF currently offers a slightly different career pathway and experience.

Happy for PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
0 Joining the Navy as AET compared to RAF aircraft technician Joining the Royal Navy 26
J Applying for pilot roles in Navy and RAF simultaneously Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 48
soleil Portsmouth News: "HMS Queen Elizabeth: Royal Navy, RAF & Army Form Up For Stunning Remembrance Day Tribute On Deck" The Fleet 3
W Intrigued - average navy wage vs RAF wage? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
soleil Mirror: "How The RAF Grew In 100 Years From One Navy Officer With A Pilot Licence To Today's Elite Fighting Force" History 1
Wazza082 RT - Navy & RAF Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
M AET - Difference in RAF / Navy waiting time Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
RAFEddie Transferring from the RAF to Royal Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
A Navy vs RAF vs Army pilots? The Fleet Air Arm 13
soleil Campaign: "Engine Wins Joint RAF And Navy Pitch" Current Affairs 1
MoD_RSS News story: RAF and Navy helicopters assist weather-stricken communities MoD News 7
Waspie Navy 1 - RAF 0 The Fleet Air Arm 3
soleil Herald: "Couple Quit The RAF And Get New Jobs In The Navy" Bases / Shore Est 11
soleil Royal Navy Sea Kings Arrive At RAF Northolt For Olympic Airspace Security The Fleet Air Arm 4
MoD_RSS Data reveals Navy's and RAF's busiest Search and Rescue units Current Affairs 2
MoD_RSS RAF and Royal Navy continue action against Gaddafi forces Current Affairs 5
MoD_RSS RAF and Navy take further action against pro-Gaddafi forces Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS RAF and Navy take further action against pro-Gaddafi forces Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS Navy and RAF Search and Rescue teams in action Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS RAF and Navy in further action over Libya Current Affairs 0
soleil Mail: "RAF And Royal Navy Pilots In The Cockpit On Your British Airways Holiday Jet" The Fleet Air Arm 1
MoD_RSS RAF and Navy continue to strike at Gaddafi regime Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS RAF and Navy strike targets in Tripoli Current Affairs 0
soleil Guardian: "Royal Navy Airpower Offers A Far Cheaper Option Overseas Than The RAF" Current Affairs 5
MoD_RSS RAF and Navy patrol Libyan skies and seas Current Affairs 0
soleil T'graph: "British Armed Forces: Army, Navy And RAF In Stats" Current Affairs 31
soleil T'graph: RAF Can Be Trimmed, But Cuts To Navy & Army Insane Current Affairs 7
soleil Pompey News: Rugby Union: Navy to take on RAF in Portsmouth Sports and Adventure Training 0
soleil S. Times: "Cutbacks for both the Royal Navy and the RAF" Current Affairs 11
scotsparamedic Paramedic already in RAF Reserves transfer possible to Navy? The Quarterdeck 8
P Transferring from the RAF to the Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
soleil Royal Navy International Air Day - Online - Saturday, July 11th 2020 The Fleet Air Arm 2
N Royal Navy Drugs Policy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
T What is the contract of service for the royal navy rating? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
higthepig Navy news June 2020 The Quarterdeck 0
soleil Portsmouth News: "Royal Navy flyers Land On Pitching Postage Stamp Deck | Nostalgia" The Fleet Air Arm 14
soleil FB: RMRN: Take A Look Around HMS Holland I, The First Submarine To Be Commissioned By The Royal Navy Submariners 0
D Navy as a last resort option Joining the Royal Navy 61
C RFA or Royal Navy? Older applicant Joining the Royal Navy 31
soleil FB: "Sea King XV666 ‘Damien’ Visits The Navy Wings Heritage Hangar On The 50th Anniversary Of The First Flight" The Fleet Air Arm 56
Z Royal Navy triage call Submariners 5
H I want to join the navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 31
J Can I join the Navy if I was previously on Anti-Depressants? Joining the Royal Navy 51
MoD_RSS Royal Navy joins NATO allies on major maritime exercise in the Baltic Sea region MoD News 0
higthepig Navy news May 2020 The Quarterdeck 1
S US Navy leadership culture International 4
B Royal Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
soleil Portsmouth News: "34 Great Old Photos Of The Famous Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier HMS Hermes" The Fleet 1
soleil Sun: "Royal Navy Submarine Crews Face 14-day Quarantine To Prevent Coronavirus Outbreak" Submariners 7
soleil Portsmouth News: "Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier HMS Prince Of Wales To Carry Out Investigation After Flooding Onboard" The Fleet 16