Navy on standby to rescue Britons in Egypt

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by SJRM_RN, Aug 18, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Navy on standby to rescue Britons in Egypt

It seems that a NEO could be on the cards for the ships of the RFTG as they head into the Med.

THE Royal Navy was on standby last night to evacuate British tourists from Egypt as the country teeters on the brink of civil war.

Navy on standby to rescue Britons in Egypt | World | News | Daily Express
    (Source: The Express)

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Op HIGHBROW II..? :wink:

3. By the time it happens the Crabs will be taking the credit.

• Like Like x 1
  4. The Navy is always on stand by for such things. Clearly plans will be being updated and it is opportune that the COUGAR TG have just sailed, but I wish that the media would realise that there is a whole RFTG ALWAYS at 5 days notice, and deployed ships are ready all the time.

5. A) Tourists should keep abreast of current affairs a bit more and head for calmer countries.
    B) Maybe this will serve to wake our dozy government up to the fact that culling the RN is not such a good idea after all.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ex Cougar 13 to the rescue then?

7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Hmm, just like Op HIGHROW I then... (remember the RAF recruitment video of the steely Doris standing with her rescued evacuees in the downdraft of the Chinook as it landed in the Port of Beirut? An accurate and vivid reconstruction of what actually happened. Said nobody, ever...) :roll:

• Like Like x 1
  8. I think you'll find there'll be an Ex to rescue them during Op Cougar.

9. As one who already has a week booked in Sharm next March I'm keeping a very close weather eye on the events there ... Nile cruise which was planned (but not booked) for later this year has been shelved for now and seeing I've only paid a miniscule deposit for the Sharm exped so far not a lot to lose if it goes pear shaped!

Quite interested to see that Brits in Sharm were saying they were under curfew to stay on resort at night ... yeah right! theres b*gger all else to do other than go round the souk and once you've done that once need to go again!

Mind if the crabs do tip up to pick everyone up from Sharm airport ... theres the option ... 5 hours in the back of a hercybird or 5 hours cattle class on EasyJet! Not a lot of difference!!!!!!!!!

10. To be honest I would probably have gone on the nile cruise but 'er indoors wasn't too happy with the idea of going at this present time! Cairo...yes avoid ... but the rest of the country does seem to realise that the economy relies heavily on the tourists and don't want to screw it up. Sharm is far enough off the beaten track as not to attract too much militant action and having been there theres not a lot to do except swim / snorkel / dive off the reef or piss up in the "All Inclusive" bar ... so why anyone would want to go off piste into local towns at night and pay for booze you get for free on resort defeats me!

11. Still wouldn't trust it. You have terrorists periodically rocking up through Sudan into Upper Egypt, Luxor and Aswan . It happened just after I left in the late 90's......an Egyptian coach driver risked his life to drive tourists away from a turkey-shoot.

The Egyptian army from what I witnessed of two years living there, defy belief. Illiterate farmhands, leaning on their guns (barrel end in the dirt), no shoe laces, filthy uniforms and undone buttons.

For civilians, it's too unpredictable an area to visit.What any civlian (myself included) has to consider is if we get taken hostage, it'll be our armed forces who'll have to risk their knecks getting us out. I, for one, would much rather they spent their time running up and down Welsh mountains or tearing up the Solent than rescuing tourists too stupid to stay out of harm's way.

Once asked what I'd do if a gunman let loose in a restaurant, the response was 'Grab the garlic bread and get under the table'. Anyone who's military prowess is as extensive as that (!) should stick to Sunny Devon or the Greek Islands and well away from Afro/Arab hotbeds of religious passion.

Besides- if an RN ship rescues tourists, where does everyone sleep ? There surely can't be room on board for that many extras.Yet another blasted inconvenience.

12. Not likely if the Hotels are being evacuated!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. greekislandsglamour : Greek Islands Glamour

A British woman has been discharged from hospital after being shot five times in the head by a gunman on the Greek holiday island of Rhodes

Police operation under way after reports of gunman in Devon - ITV News

A major police operation was under way tonight amid reports that a gunman was holed up in a terraced house in Plympton, Devon.

Wanna try anywhere else Talhoolah??????????

14. Been awhile since I was there, had a great time, felt a lot safer there than a lot of places I've been to. A client of mine and his wife went a couple of months later and they felt the same. the following week was the massacre at the temple of Hatshepsut ​

The
    Luxor Massacre refers to the killing of 62 people, mostly tourists, that took place on 17 November 1997, at Deir el-Bahri, an archaeological site and major tourist attraction located across the Nile River from Luxor in Egypt. (Wiki)