Navy Nursing, whats it really like??

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by scorcio5, Nov 29, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,
    Im currently in my last yr of nurse training and thinking bout joining once my degree is complete, as a Navel Nurse, im married with 2 kids, and i'm aware this would mean relocation, however tbh this would be ideal for me and my family, we in need of a fresh start and after doing some background research it seems this role would be perfect. Does anyone have any advice about what life is like for families within the Navy? Is anyone else on here currently a Navel Nurse with a family?
    Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer. :)
  2. Just looking at belly buttons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. I see what you did there.jpg
  4. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

There are a few Naval Nurses parked up in RFA ARGUS off the coast of Sierra Leone providing support for the UK Multi Agency medical effort against Ebola ashore. Accommodation may be austere for some. Families may be concerned but not about the accommodation.
  5. Brufen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The main differences between Naval Nurse and your civilian NHS equivalent are better pay & promotion prospects, the potential to travel & serve afloat.

Depending how you look at it, there are many advantages/disadvantages such as subsidised housing, the very real possibility of serving overseas whilst separated from your family, less likelihood to work in geriatric & paediatric primary healthcare, a requirement to undergo military selection & training (at least 10 weeks duration) and finally, the provision of childcare is entirely the onus of the individual regardless of operational tasking.