Navy News: "The Navy's Only Airworthy Swordfish Flies Again"

#2
Re: Navy News: "The Navy's Only Airworthy Swordfish Flies Ag

Nice One.... Wonder if there are any Tags still out there :cry:
 
#3
Re: Navy News: "The Navy's Only Airworthy Swordfish Flies Ag

A real aeroplane! :D There ought to be more of that kind.

PS I hope that the torpedo is real, post SDSR we might need it. :cry:

PPS I remember that the Flying Club at RAF Cranwell received two ex RN Tiger Moths circa 1972, can't remember what happened to them. Apparently FAA trained on them till about 1968!
 
#4
Re: Navy News: "The Navy's Only Airworthy Swordfish Flies Ag

There is still a TAG's association Scouse so I suppose there are. Don't think there are any from the ACA. Jock McDonald was the last I knew. You may remember him from the 'school'.

Buddy of mine went on a flight in one last week, lucky sod. (Pics on Facebook!! )
 
#5
Beautiful!

I've seen the BBMF many times and even been lucky enough to fly in the Lanc twice. However, the last time I saw the Stringbag must have been at the Lee-on-Solent Air Day back in 1973 (I still have a B&W picture of a very young Mushroom sat in the cockpit of a Sea Hawk!).

Talking of which, it was nice to see the RN Sea Hawk at Waddo this year; a beautiful jet.

Regards,
MM
 
#6
Re: Navy News: "The Navy's Only Airworthy Swordfish Flies Ag

There is a picture in my commissioning book and at the IWM ( maybe Sol can get the pic up??) Of a stringbag call sign 5A L32? flying overhead HMS Victorious, on Friday 11th July 69 Piloted by LT/CDR Trouson and Observer Vice Admiral Janvrin. Taking the Salute. As she leaves Portsmouth, for the last time, going to the breakers yard :cry:
 
#7
Re: Navy News: "The Navy's Only Airworthy Swordfish Flies Ag

Crabman said:
A real aeroplane! :D There ought to be more of that kind.

PS I hope that the torpedo is real, post SDSR we might need it. :cry:

PPS I remember that the Flying Club at RAF Cranwell received two ex RN Tiger Moths circa 1972, can't remember what happened to them. Apparently FAA trained on them till about 1968!
:wink: Yep we had one on the station flight at Lossiemouth, along with a Vampire, Venom , and Sea Prince, which the Skipper flew in, when he fancied a jolly :wink: :wink:
 
#8
Re: Navy News: "The Navy's Only Airworthy Swordfish Flies Ag

scouse said:
There is a picture in my commissioning book and at the IWM ( maybe Sol can get the pic up??) Of a stringbag call sign 5A L32? flying overhead HMS Victorious, on Friday 11th July 69 Piloted by LT/CDR Trouson and Observer Vice Admiral Janvrin. Taking the Salute. As she leaves Portsmouth, for the last time, going to the breakers yard :cry:
I've sourced the photograph via the Archivists at the IWM, Scouse. There are format problems, in that it has never before existed in digital form, but I shall see what I can do for you.

:)
 
#9
Re: Navy News: "The Navy's Only Airworthy Swordfish Flies Ag

soleil said:
scouse said:
There is a picture in my commissioning book and at the IWM ( maybe Sol can get the pic up??) Of a stringbag call sign 5A L32? flying overhead HMS Victorious, on Friday 11th July 69 Piloted by LT/CDR Trouson and Observer Vice Admiral Janvrin. Taking the Salute. As she leaves Portsmouth, for the last time, going to the breakers yard :cry:
I've sourced the photograph via the Archivists at the IWM, Scouse. There are format problems, in that it has never before existed in digital form, but I shall see what I can do for you.

:)
:worship: :cuddle:
 
#15
Re: Navy News: "The Navy's Only Airworthy Swordfish Flies Ag

Did he take it from your book and scan it or did he find it on the net?

By the way, were you there when this was taken?


:)
 
#16
Re: Navy News: "The Navy's Only Airworthy Swordfish Flies Ag

soleil said:
Did he take it from your book and scan it or did he find it on the net?

By the way, were you there when this was taken? :wink: Nope i was at Hms Daedalus, just the dockyard mateys onboard at that time , as she was being towed to the Breakers yard in Scotland (Faslane)


:)
He took a photograph of the picture in the book, then some IT magic :roll:
 
#17
Re: Navy News: "The Navy's Only Airworthy Swordfish Flies Ag

IT Magic indeed, Scouse! Pls thank him for me.

When did you serve on her?
 
#19
Re: Navy News: "The Navy's Only Airworthy Swordfish Flies Ag

scouse said:
soleil said:
IT Magic indeed, Scouse! Pls thank him for me.

When did you serve on her?
65/67 :wink:
In that case, if the Imperial War Museum gives me a hard copy of the original photograph of the Swordfish flying over her, you may have it for your wall.

:)
 

Latest Threads