Navy News: "Piping Hot ... And Hot Piping On Northumberland"

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by soleil, Aug 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I remember being taught to pipe during basic. However this doesn't happen anymore as many in phase 2 in Collingwood had never seen a Bosun's Call not along know how to hold one or use one.

I had to teach a few during my time on duty during my refreshers course.

2. Re: Navy News: "Piping Hot ... And Hot Piping On Northumberl

Shame on 2 counts:

1. The only organisation still teaching piping is the Sea Cadets.

2. The terminology in this article is a bloody disgrace. Its a Bosun's Call, not a Bosun's Pipe.

Is the Navy News being edited by some cast-off mong from The Sun or the Daily Mail?

3. Illustrious did the same sort of thing a few years ago, it was eventually won by a L/S(M) and if I remember correctly a MEM came in second.
    Piping seems to be a forgotten thing now, I remember doing my 2's course at Collingwood and only having a 30mins practice with 1 bosuns call between a class of 20 of us. Saying that, as has already been said the trainees now don't even get that.

4. Re: Navy News: "Piping Hot ... And Hot Piping On Northumberl

Well, according to our dictionary it can be called either the Bosun's Call or the Bosun's Pipe. Of course, we could use the same compound noun repeatedly but we prefer not to, thus avoiding repetition...

No Fleet Street cast-offs here. Just a classics graduate, two English lit experts and a German historian...

5. Why the big uproar that matelots aren't being taught to use a Bosun's Call in training?

I was taught in 5 minutes on the bridge wing while on watch.

All the bridge watchkeepers and harbour BMs and QMs knew how to pipe from doing call the hands and anyone else who was stitched for piping party was quickly taught how to do it on the quarterdeck.

If it takes you more than 5 minutes to learn then you are a mong and should be ridiculed as such, I hardly see why any time should be taken out of a busy training schedule to teach something that is easily learnt onboard.

6. All stokers are experts with a bosuns pipe :wink: :D

7. Most stokers are experts with all types of man pipe.

Fcuking snagged up ratings the lot of ya!

8. Yeah! But don't we have fun :D :D :D

9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

When I was Chief QM on board I would not sign off the AB's Task Books until they could demonstrate all aspects of the job of Boatswain's Mate, including the use of the Call and the correct times to use it. I would also Board the QMs to ensure they were also competent to represent the Ship (seeing as they are usually the first members of the Ship's Company that visitors meet when they cross the brow - you never get a second chance to make a first impression...) :salut: :wink:

10. Really? I thought you just had to give the Chief QM a packet of Jaffa Cakes and a nosh and you could get your whole task book signed off in a one-er.

11. 'The Bosun's Call' is the autobiography of Cdr Hugh Willis who started off in the RN as a Boy Seaman. One of his last appointments was as NATO's Commander Standing Naval Force Channel (COMSTANAVFORCHAN) while CO of the GRP Ton class minehunter variant, HMS WILTON, c.1979. A Boatswain chum of mine has always resented the title of his book because it uses the abbreviated form of 'Boatswain' and, what's more, Hugh Willis wasn't even a Boatswain; he was a 'D' or Director (of aircraft).

Incidentally, my Boatswain chum was visiting a Scandinavian country in one of the old LPDs. During the first night cocktail party on the flight deck, a statuesque Viking beauty asked him the meaning of the title on his name badge.

"It's old English," he explained. "Boatswain means 'lover of boats'."

"Please?" asked the stunning blonde. "What is the meaning of Coxswain?"

12. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

N'ah, that was just you - hence why you never finished your TBs, wrapped your tits in and went outside! :wink:

13. Re: Navy News: "Piping Hot ... And Hot Piping On Northumberl

[1964quote="soleil"]SCC Handbook:

http://www.sccheadquarters.com/User...iciencies/Piping/Boatswains Call Handbook.pdf

Samples:

http://www.btinternet.com/~fourthgill.seascouts/bocallpic.htm[/quote]

8O It seems very odd that neither reference includes the very first pipe of the day: 'Call the Hands'.

The QM usually had licence to add his own words afterwards, and admittedly some were most unsuitable for the innocent ears of young Sea Cadets :wink:

I must admit that I left my last surface ship way in 1964 ( :oops: ) but is the 'Call the Hands' pipe, plus the accompanying choice words, no longer used in the RN these days?

Or has it just 'gone missing' from the Sea Cadet's repertoire?

14. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Don't knock Hugh Willis' book - it's one of the funniest RN books I've ever read.