Navy News no longer available in AFCO's

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by the_black_strat, Jul 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Quick note for all newbies and ex members who get their Navy News from their local AFCO's. Navy News is no longer available in AFCO's due to cost cutting. Not sure about Globe and Laurel. Most AFCO's send out NN's to candidates. NN does have its own website, :cry:
  2. Website has the complete print edition available nowadays anyway.
  3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Too right! Put your handy in your pocket, you pikey... :wink:
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It's an interesting situation. In the larger AFCOs the postage costs of sending literally hundreds of Navy News to active candidates is prohibitive, so the majority are given to those who call into the AFCO, often with a token donation given to a Naval charity. Last time I emptied our collection tin, there was about £200+ in it (which went to the appropriate charity) , so those with former service are certainly 'paying' the going rate & possibly many who leave the service like to have a chat with those young lads & lasses currently serving.

With the current rate of operations worldwide, it's not uncommon for a young Marine to "out-dit" one that may have served ten years back - always fun to witness. :wink:

Problem is that the 'sense of belonging' will certainly dwindle now that the Dockyard Dandy is no longer available in AFCOs. Perhaps this is an area where the RNA could dive-in to swell their numbers.
  5. From my recent office managers meeting I understand that both the Navy News and the Globe & buster will now no longer be available from the AFCO's (funding was pulled in April 2010).

I did try to say that in these times of long waiting times the NN was a good way of keeping your candidates informed on the RN and motivated to hang around. I suppose they'll just have to put up with me spinning dits on the phone.

6. As most of the applicants will have both a computer and internet access why not supply them with the website address so that they can read navy News online?
    Cost is zero so is acceptable to me and all my pikey skint oppos :p
  7. It's a bugger to read online though. Can't beat proper paper and print.
  8. Why not do as I did years ago and order it from W H Smith? Just collect it every month and, yes, pay £2.
  9. Can't wipe your 'arris on it either
  10. Can :D
  11. Don't ever lend me your laptop 8O
  12. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

He did - he even lent you his headwand:

13. And I still managed to get my riposte on the right thread, not that I'm implying crushers are thick you understand :wink: