Navy News: "New King unveiled at Culdrose"

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by soleil, Oct 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Although it still performs very well, the Jetstream has reached the end of its service life,†said Lt Cdr Nick Armstrong, 750 NAS’ Commanding Officer.

“Rather than fly nine Jetstreams, we will be able to achieve the same quality and level of training with just four of the new King Airs.†This Jimmy is the new King off SPIN "

2. Not so many lookers being trained now, though, and the Wetdreams were pretty un-servceable.

Frankly if they can't train 20 lookers a year on four airframes plus the sims then they are being feeble. The nine old aircraft used to train 40 a year, with no sim time.

3. Not quite true, the sim (RPGT) at 750 is still being used, and has been running alongside the 'nine old aircraft' for as long as I can remember (at least 20 years). The 'they are being feeble' comment shows that you have probably never been anywhere near 750 and have absolutely no appreciation for what actually goes on there, and the burden that training even 20 Observers places on the system.

4. Are the Grubbers Civvys or Wafus :dontknow:

5. I was on 705 and 706 in 1979/80, when I don't think there was a sim for 750. At that time there were nearly as many observers being trained as RW pilots - I'd guess eight per course, and five courses a year, so that makes 40. All on the nine Jetstreams.