Navy News: "New anti-piracy boat is tested"

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by soleil, Aug 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So it's a RIB with diesel donks thats too big to be carried by anything smaller than an assault ship. And a million quid for a RIB?

Sounds like a plan.

2. Not great if it can't be carried on FF/DDs

3. Great idea, is this another MoD pipedream
    A million quid for 1 RIB that can't be carried by most of the surface fleet, but can be dropped out of a plane, well that's handy isn't it. Is this all being driven by somones wish to get away from petrol engines, call me daft if you want but why can't we buy some diesel outboard engines and put them on the back of the current Arctic 28 RIB's?

If that's not good enough the Yanks are flogging a bunch of used ones with Diesel inboards, starting at $150 on an on-lone auction site.
    http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=2568212&convertTo=USD

4. I was under the impression from reading that article that the two prototypes each cost £1m. Unless I've got the wrong end of the stick, I assume that the delivered unit will be significantly cheaper than £1m.

5. YOu can pick up ex-MOD Arctic 28's for £10k so they'd better be a damn sight cheaper than a million quid a go or someone's having a serious laugh.

6. Mr Hughes seems to be about 10 years behind the times. That was happening before the first IPTs were formed.