Navy news: "Navy Prepares To Say Farewell To The 42s As Workhorse Destroyers Bow Out"

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by soleil, Jan 18, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. End of another era

2. Don't worry, there will be 12 Type 45s along to replace them one for one.

Sorry, 9.

OK final offer, take it or leave it, 6.

3. Thought for a minimum navy news was saying farewell not some old rust bucket target^_~

4. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Never served on one (thank ****), but worked on lots when they got Guzz FMG to fix them. Horrible, dirty, dark, smelly ships, but sad to see them go.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Fookin' 'ell Tiddly, we're on the same wavelength again. 8-O

Worked on many a T42 but never drafted to one thank ferk/drafty.

'orrible ships (IMHO of course) but always had a good time socially with their Gunbusters :eek:ccasion5:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Served on two stumpy's both were good ships enjoyed them as much as the 22 I was on.

Sad times seeing them go just a shame only 6 replaced them

7. tiddlyoggy

Steady on Ballistic, you'll get me a bad reputation, is doesn't do to fraternise with the WE fags you know!:)
    Yes, I'll agree, had some damn good call rounds on them, particularly the older ones. Coincidentally though, the most miserable/unsociable CPO's mess I've ever been in was also a 42 and that was only a couple of years ago. Shan't name names, maybe they just had an off day!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Funny how everyone has strong opinions on 42s. I found them to be far more enjoyable than 23s. Never had a 22 so can't comment on them. 23s are toppers with throbbers and weirdos.

My fondest memories thus far have all been when drafted to a 42 and my best friendships have always been forged on them too.

Except for the Liverpool, that ship was ****.

• Like Like x 1
  9. tiddlyoggy

See, I had a great call round on there too. Just goes to show how subjective "a good ship" reputation is.
    Never had a 23 either, but definitely a larger proportion of throbbers than usual.

10. From the article:

"Navy News will also be marking the end of the 42s with a special supplement – probably our June or July edition. We’re looking for some of your favourite (clean, unclassified!) stories of experiences aboard and photographs.

If you’re interested in helping, email words/images to [email protected] or snail mail to Navy News, Leviathan Block, HMS Nelson, Portsmouth, PO1 3HH, and mark your submission ‘Farewell to the Type 42s’."