Navy News: "Kind Hearts For Coronel"

Discussion in 'History' started by soleil, Sep 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Astounding that this and the following Battle of the Falklands is so little heard of. As both proved that raidiers were a huge threat to the nation in times of war. The Battle of Coronel showed that a mismatch of vessels (some already obsolete) are no match for a trained, well drilled and modern fleet, As proven in the second round of the big fight by the Graf Spee. While the Battle of the Falklands showed how swift, heavily armed response to such a threat is the best policy. Maybe the govt should take note and also, I wonder if this isnt slightly relevant in a way to how Pirates are plaguing the seas today

Good article there sol, well posted. Some interesting further reading for anyone interested is http://www.worldwar1.co.uk/coronel.html

2. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Plenty of books about these battles if you want to research them.

An oddity is that Coronel kicked off quite by accident when Glasgow from one side and Leipzig from the other closed the same neutral merchant ship to investigate her.

One of my great-uncles was an RNR Mid in Kent at the Falklands battle. I have a photocopy of his journal from that time. Here's one of his album pics:

[​IMG]

3. Aye there are books available but I simply meant that its not a very well known series of events. rather good description of both battles in Anthony Watt's The Royal Navy-Illustrated History