Navy News: "First Class Send-Off for HMS Nottingham"

brigham600

War Hero
Served aboard her twice and she was a great old girl and I have many fond memories.

Where was my invite as ships company past then? :)

Always wanted a draft to her (Harry Homers and all), but had to settle for the Brum and Glos. Another 42 bites the dust.

SM

:)

brigham600

War Hero
RP1986 said:
My first draft, 1988 to 1991. Another of my old ships becomes razor blades.
I joined her for the first time in Sep 91, where you still on there then? CHOPS(R) was Eddie Booth.

brigham600

War Hero
Passed-over_Loggie said:
So that’s just 5 ships left in the Fleet with a functioning area air defence capability.
I am sure there are some old Seacat missiles somewhere if there is an emergency. :lol:

ctfairway

Lantern Swinger
A friend of mine was at the De Commissioning Ceremony and says it was a very moving occasion attended by many former members of Notty's Ships Company and reps from all her affiliated units/schools/other services/civic organisations/Sea Cadets etc. It was extremely sad to see the White Ensign lowered for the last time as the Royal Marine Band played "sunset". Admiral of the Fleet Sir Henry Leach (CDS during Corporate), whose wife Lady Leach launched Notty 30 years ago and was the ships sponsor until she passed away, was there, aged 86! By all accounts a very good send off for a fine ship. Apparently DAUNTLESS was berthed next to Notty - out with the old -in with the new!

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Passed-over_Loggie said:
So that’s just 5 ships left in the Fleet with a functioning area air defence capability.

Don't worry!

There will be 12, sorry 9, sorry 6 Type 45s along soon to replace the capability being lost.

I would add an emoticon at this point, but it is all too sad and short sighted.

tommo

War Hero
sgtpepperband said:
1996-1999 myself... from refit to warzone. A hoofin' ship... :salut:
You would've been on her when she was outside us on the Glasgow for Xmas duties in 98.

tommo

War Hero
brigham600 said:
I cannot remember you mind. You must have been either the duty MESR or WESR if you were duty on Xmas Eve.
Oh no I was duty BM on the gangway fella. I was only an OM

brigham600

War Hero
tommo said:
brigham600 said:
I cannot remember you mind. You must have been either the duty MESR or WESR if you were duty on Xmas Eve.
Oh no I was duty BM on the gangway fella. I was only an OM
Doh, I should have sussed that looking at your avatar photo badge. :oops: :lol:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
higthepig Navy news June 2020 The Quarterdeck 0
soleil Portsmouth News: "Royal Navy flyers Land On Pitching Postage Stamp Deck | Nostalgia" The Fleet Air Arm 14
higthepig Navy news May 2020 The Quarterdeck 1
soleil Portsmouth News: "34 Great Old Photos Of The Famous Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier HMS Hermes" The Fleet 1
soleil Portsmouth News: "Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier HMS Prince Of Wales To Carry Out Investigation After Flooding Onboard" The Fleet 16
soleil The News: "Royal Navy Warships To Blast Sirens And Light The Sky As Portsmouth Marks VE Day" The Fleet 9
soleil The News: "Royal Navy Destroyer Prone To Breaking Down In The Gulf Leaves Portsmouth For Key Engine Upgrade" The Fleet 3
higthepig Navy news March 2020 The Quarterdeck 0
higthepig Navy news February 2020 The Quarterdeck 0
higthepig Navy news January 2020 The Quarterdeck 2
soleil Navy News (FB): North Shields - HMS Northumberland - Ship Open To Visitors - Saturday, February 8th 2020 The Fleet 1
higthepig Navy news December 2019 The Quarterdeck 0
soleil FB: Navy News: February 2020 Edition Now On Sale The Fleet 3
soleil FB: Navy News "HMS Ashanti Ghana 50th Anniversary" History 0
higthepig Navy News November 2019 The Quarterdeck 0
soleil FE News: "Novatech Ltd Turn Royal Navy Reserves Training Virtual With New RHIB Simulators" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 8
soleil Navy News (FB): HMS Sultan - Charity Moustache Growing Event Bases / Shore Est 7
soleil Portsmouth News: "18 Amazing Royal Navy Photos From Portsmouth's Past" History 0
soleil Portsmouth News: "HMS Queen Elizabeth: Royal Navy, RAF & Army Form Up For Stunning Remembrance Day Tribute On Deck" The Fleet 3
higthepig Navy news September 2019 The Quarterdeck 0
higthepig Navy News June 2019 The Quarterdeck 3
MoD_RSS News story: Developing the Royal Navy’s autonomous underwater capability: commercial clarification MoD News 0
higthepig Navy news May 2019 The Quarterdeck 5
higthepig Navy News April 2019 The Quarterdeck 1
MoD_RSS News story: Improving the Royal Navy’s underwater presence - Collaboration Event MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Royal Navy vessel identifies evasion of North Korea sanctions MoD News 0
higthepig Navy news March 2019 The Quarterdeck 0
higthepig Navy news Feb 2019 The Quarterdeck 1
higthepig Navy news January 2019 The Quarterdeck 0
higthepig Navy news December 2018 The Quarterdeck 0
higthepig Navy news November 2018 The Quarterdeck 0
higthepig Navy news October 2018 The Quarterdeck 0
MoD_RSS News story: New £1bn deal to support Navy operations will support over 700 British jobs for a decade, Defence Minister announces MoD News 0
higthepig Navy news September 2018 The Quarterdeck 0
higthepig Navy news August 2018 The Quarterdeck 0
higthepig Navy news July 2018.. The Quarterdeck 0
MoD_RSS News story: Royal Navy sailor killed during World War 1 is honoured as he is laid to rest MoD News 2
soleil Portsmouth News: "Royal Navy Praised For Protecting UK’s Most-Beloved Dish On Fish And Chips Day 2018" The Fleet 4
soleil Portsmouth News: "Deal Offers Navy Sailors Golden Opportunity" The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
soleil BVI News: "UK Navy Vessel Docks In Miami In Preparation For Hurricane Season" RFA 0
higthepig Navy news May 2018 The Quarterdeck 0
MoD_RSS News story: £850m Sea Ceptor missile system enters service with Royal Navy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Royal Navy gets first unmanned minesweeping system MoD News 0
higthepig Navy news April 2018 The Fleet 1
soleil Forces Network News: "Will It Race? Royal Navy Engineers Inspire Young Talent" Bases / Shore Est 1
soleil ITV News: "Boxes Of Navy Ammunition Found On Cornish Beaches" Bases / Shore Est 18
MoD_RSS News story: New Royal Navy operations hub opens in Gulf MoD News 3
higthepig Navy news March 2018 The Quarterdeck 0
MoD_RSS News story: Royal Navy prepares for future UK fishery patrols MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Multi-million-pound contract to enhance Royal Navy Type 45 fleet resilience MoD News 11