Navy News: "Did You Serve In Watery Wessex?"

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by soleil, Apr 14, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. SBrown-20111222-0194noYD.jpg

"Diver and photographer Simon Brown is looking for former crew who served in a Fleet Air Arm Wessex which now sits on the bed of a flooded quarry.

Simon – who regular dives with RN units to capture their underwater exploits – photographed the vintage aircraft, XS122, at the National Diving and Activity Centre."

https://navynews.co.uk/archive/news/item/10325

2. Be interesting to read of it's service life, squadrons and carriers that it once called home.

3. Royal Navy as XS122, 03/07/1963. It was sunk in 2007. Thanks Soleil;-P

4. Seen worse quick cab wipe and a BF, and Bob's your Mums Brother

Sent from my iPhone, cos the wife is using MY iPad :(

• Like Like x 1
  5. Looks like the compwash was due.....

6. Nightmare, been out of the loop too long, your are right it will need a comp wash and a turco blast.

Sent from my iPhone, cos the wife is using MY iPad :(

7. For Junglie green read blue and yellow all singing dancing radar / pinger/SAR from HMS Osprey

Attached Files:

8. The photo in the article, (found by opening link), shows the Wessex to be yellow and blue which indicates it is a ASW Wessex, either a Mk 1 or Mk 3. Without consulting the bible, (FAA Helicopters 1943 to present day), I wouldn't guess.

The green Helicopter shown flying past Portland Bill is a 772 Wessex Mk 5 based at Portland not Lee on Solent as the article suggests. (Even naval journo's get it wrong!!!! tsk - tsk!

9. Just for you Doug....WA101 XS122 Westland Wessex HAS3 f/f 14/06/1963, d/d 03/07/1963, to A2707, submerged Tidenham, Chepstow

• Like Like x 1
  10. My copy of the good book is under a room full of junk as I'm decorating!!! (Again).:angryfire:

11. Bet if you look behind a seat you will find Andy Vanes bag rat.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

• Like Like x 1