Navy News: "Campbeltown Sails For The Last Time"

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by soleil, Mar 31, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Thank you to everyone who has made the last month such a great month for all of us in Campbeltown. The people of Liverpool, Campbeltown, Falmouth and St Nazaire who showed us such a great welcome. The veterans of The Raid and members of the St Nazaire Society as well as the guys from 131 Ind Cdo and 29 Cdo RA who added so much to our last week at sea and last weekend's events in France; and not to forget Tim the piper. Everyone who was on the Hoe, Devil's Point, in the Dockyard or waving from your ships made the afternoon a very memorable one; albeit sad. Most of all though, the best ship's company I have served with in 24 1/2 years - and I have had some good ones.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Glad to hear the people of Campbeltown (the place) were so friendly.
  3. JagerGirl

JagerGirl Book Reviewer

Thank You for making some of us so welcome on her!! I won't, however, be thanking you for making it dusty in here ;)
  4. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Commiserations on decommissioning another great ship. Good luck wherever you go next.
  5. A sad day, I was a young seaman radar operator on her, I joined her in Liverpool for sea trials, Never thought I would out serve her,
    I remember the first time she sailed into Plymouth cold overcast and we were sent to a different Jetty due to a bomb threat, The first trip into Campeltown with drinks in the town hall then of to the Mess bars in rig Splash was 3HZ bar, the first trip to St Nazaire where we hit the submarine pens and put an dent in the STBD side aft, not a great start but the ship was a great home for three years, yet another ships story cut short by the cuts
    I’m just sorry I can’t be in Plymouth to see her come home as I’m stuck in a sand pit out east, will have to watch it on BFPS reports with a cold drink.
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  6. By the way, I've got a pint for the first person to decode the signal groups we flew from the after mast port outer.

7. Agreed. Fantastic day and was a pleasure to visit :)

As to the signal, beats me.
  8. JagerGirl

JagerGirl Book Reviewer

Is there a hint for where to get a decent pic of them?
  9. Cant find any decent clear shots of the signalflags so im going to risk QI censure and ask if Englands expectations of duty were met?

I'll hazard a guess at the Nelson touch getting the better of you all and that its 'England Expects..........'
  10. Golf Alpha Bravo Kilo?

Bravo Bravo?

or both?
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  11. I'm pleased to see you getting into the spirit.

Soleil - Good guesses, but International Callsign not required when entering dockyard ports. BB - Action Complete - far too defeatist for us.
    Scouse - Not enough halyards these days!

The picture at the link shows Desig 1J (One Jetty) at the foremast port outer, and if you look aft the first 2 flags are obscured but you get the tack and fist 2 of a 4 flag group. Back onboard tomorrow and hopefully someone will have a decent photo I can post that will give you a better clue.
  12. A wet day.

I was there that day. She looked fantastic when she first came into view, something to be proud of. Spent 3 good years on her. Remember going for a bit of classic French Scran in St Nazaire with some of the boys from the RO's mess (Think that was 3HZ). One of the boys thought that 150francs was a fifteen quid and nearly collapsed when they worked his bill out at £172. The 150 was for a bottle of wine.
  13. That is about as much as you can see. It was BA - RE 10 (may have been 11, it was over a year ago and I don't have Vol 2 to hand to check!)

I chose it. Thank you for indulging me, and you have won the prize as far as I am concerned.