Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Navy News: "Barbados Break for HMS Iron Duke"

Been there and done it 8) ,brill run ashore but times have changed quite a lot havnt they and i quote "Some sailors found time to fly their families out to enjoy the Barbadian sun,",i wonder if it was just the occifers who flew there familys out there or if it was also SR/JRs,

NorwayChris Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:52 am Post subject: Re: Navy News: "Barbados Break for HMS Iron Duke"
Been there and done it ,brill run ashore but times have changed quite a lot havnt they and i quote "Some sailors found time to fly their families out to enjoy the Barbadian sun,",i wonder if it was just the occifers who flew there familys out there or if it was also SR/JRs,

Been a long time since you went to sea on the grey funnel line then Chris.

Plenty of families of all onboard fly out to stay during ships stand off periods, and have done for quite a few years.

YouAreHavingALaugh said:
NorwayChris Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:52 am Post subject: Re: Navy News: "Barbados Break for HMS Iron Duke"
Been there and done it ,brill run ashore but times have changed quite a lot havnt they and i quote "Some sailors found time to fly their families out to enjoy the Barbadian sun,",i wonder if it was just the occifers who flew there familys out there or if it was also SR/JRs,

Plenty of families of all onboard fly out to stay during ships stand off periods, and have done for quite a few years.

:D Times have certainly changed,i joined up in 70 and left in 90 and only heard and witnessed familys coming out twice,once to Cape Town and once to Singapore,both times was the skippers family,

In 1975, the wives/partners of several SRs flew out to Trinidad while our Windies guardship underwent a mid-deployment AMP at Swan Hunter in Chaguaramas and we took 'station leave'. The mostly unattached JRs were more interested in mass-renting cheap accommodation ashore for non-stop partying but that's another story! Ratings' wives/partners far outnumbered those of the officers when they flew out to our MCM Sqdn deployed in the Med in 1986. The critical factor in each case was a good families liaison officer/SR who coordinated all travel and accommodation requirements well in advance, thereby getting a good discount. The Chief involved in the second case even managed to get his wife out for free because of all the business he put the way of a particular travel agent in Dunfermline. Many just weren't interested in getting their wives/partners out at all and, as SBNC intimates, several were unhappy to have their style cramped by 'spies in the camp'.

More recently, MCMV ships' companies were flown home from the Gulf for leave mid nine-month deployment but crew-swapping every six months has now negated this.

NG , It probably happened a lot more in my time in the RN but as you point out there were quite a few who wernt bothered ,i fell into that catagory of wasnt bothered,didnt mean that i didnt love or miss my first wife when i was on deployment it just didnt enter our heads to fly her out to meet me somwhere exotic,but lordy lordy what a home coming after nine months away,second honeymoon springs to mind :wink:

NorwayChris said:
YouAreHavingALaugh said:

:D Times have certainly changed,i joined up in 70 and left in 90 and only heard and witnessed familys coming out twice,once to Cape Town and once to Singapore,both times was the skippers family,

I remember some families of all ranks/rates coming out to Singapore at Christmas time 1974.

Gombear said:
NorwayChris said:
YouAreHavingALaugh said:

:D Times have certainly changed,i joined up in 70 and left in 90 and only heard and witnessed familys coming out twice,once to Cape Town and once to Singapore,both times was the s

kippers family,

I remember some families of all ranks/rates coming out to Singapore at Christmas time 1974.
I think i maybe walked around with my eyes closed half the time , :D

Latest Threads