Navy News: "Back To The Future For Raleigh PTI Instructors"

Discussion in 'Bases / Shore Est' started by soleil, Nov 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Re: Navy News: "Back To The Future For Raleigh PTI Instructo

The Navy has always relied on the PT branch to instil discipline. :?

So what do crushers do then? I thought PTI's were meant to help you keep fit, organise sports, pose in tight white sports wear and stand to attention with the fingers extended?

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

In accordance with the TORs in QRRNs, I understood it was the duty of every Leading Hand/Corporal, Senior Rate/NCO and Officer to maintain (i.e. "instil") good order and discipline within their vicinity? What makes the Hair Gel & Fake Tan Brigade so bloomin' speshul?! :?

3. Re: Navy News: "Back To The Future For Raleigh PTI Instructo

When the clubswinger came into the gymn the I.Q. went down :p :p

4. Re: Navy News: "Back To The Future For Raleigh PTI Instructo

And carry clip-boards Wrecker. Don't forget the clip-boards.

5. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

CPO(PTI) contribution to the energy efficiency campaign - only heat half the swimming pool

Boom tish....

6. Re: Navy News: "Back To The Future For Raleigh PTI Instructo

CLUBZ ????? Are we in America or something??

Anyway the wheel has been reinvented, AGAIN.
    At the WW2 workup base,HMS Western Isles, Tobermory,commanded by Commodore Sir Gilbert Stephenson,( The Terror).
    He rightly saw that the greater majority of ships had HO ratings, who knew little of the RN or seagoing.Some had come from shorebased jobs only a few weeks past .
    In order to instil discipline he instigated ,"Close Order Drill". Squads of ratings were taken to the parade ground and made to march, run, etc until they automatically did what they were ordered to -- without question or hesitation.
    Read the book," Terror of Tobermory".

7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Re: Navy News: "Back To The Future For Raleigh PTI Instructo

Always been Clubz since I joined up (the cute embroidered badge is a bit of a clue, to be honest...) :? :oops:

8. Re: Navy News: "Back To The Future For Raleigh PTI Instructo

I too have always known them as 'CLUBZ', so not sure what your point is nobby? :roll:

9. Re: Navy News: "Back To The Future For Raleigh PTI Instructo

Joined in 1959 and they were known as "Clubs". Though at Ganges one had to address them as sir, except Jim Conroy, we called him Jim. 8)

10. Re: Navy News: "Back To The Future For Raleigh PTI Instructo

Always been known as clubz as far as I know. What did address them as Nobby (to their face i mean)

11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Re: Navy News: "Back To The Future For Raleigh PTI Instructo

One thing I always wondered about the blonde-highlighted, hair-gelled, orange toned muscle- bosuns is whether the high-pitched/strangulated yelps were due entirely to the shorts, lifting heavy weights or due to the strain of holding-in the beer gut for the duration of the Swedish PT session.

Answers please, on a postcard...

12. Re: Navy News: "Back To The Future For Raleigh PTI Instructo

You mean as in "to the wall bars........go

13. This position ready, twice around my beautiful body, go!

14. If I remember correctly, they were known as Clubz but in training (1983) we addressed them as 'Staff'.

15. Reminds me of a few years back when I was on RSQ and our course were in the gym, conducting circuits under the direction of a young LPT.

I spoke to him at one stage, calling him 'Clubz' and he became very irate and said to me: "It's STAFF to you"

I replied with: "Its RS or Petty Officer to you", now do one.

16. :thumbright:

17. Re: Navy News: "Back To The Future For Raleigh PTI Instructo

Clubs , as in short for Clubswinger.
    The other just looks wrong,to me anyway.

18. Re: Navy News: "Back To The Future For Raleigh PTI Instructo

Either way of spelling it fits in though and it works in much the same way as using Z or S in Organization or Organisation.

19. Re: Navy News: "Back To The Future For Raleigh PTI Instructo

Calm Down - Probably just a Typo:

<<..... the clubz at HMS Raleigh have resurrected Initial Military Fitness – aka Swedish PT......>>

Anyway, I much preferred the Egyptian variety of PT - Guaranteed to crack in some real serious Z-ing time there. :wink: