Navy News: "Appeal launched for Royalist's Successor"

Discussion in 'SCC and URNU' started by soleil, Jan 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What they dont say is what they will do with The TS Royalist once they get the replacement.
    Never been a sea cadet but in my opinion it would be a good move to save her and put her in Portsmouth as another piece of maritime history.
    Would be a shame to think they would scrap or sell her.

2. As someone who benefitted immensely from 4 week long trips on Royalist, and it helped me get where I am today, does anyone know where I can donate something towards this new ship?

3. 4 weeks? Christ i was threaders after 2!

4. It was a brilliant laugh! They were 4 individual weeks over about 2 1/2 years, would have gone on it even more if I could!

5. Look out for this event at Gunwharf Quays, the former site of HMS Vernon in Portsmouth:

Sea Cadet Festival 2010
    [align=center][​IMG]
    TS Royalist[/align]

Take a look at TS Royalist's Facebook Group for former crew members here. I understand that the Hunt Class minehunter HMS Hurworth is also due to be alongside as well as the newly restored WWII RAF Air Sea Rescue High Speed Launch HSL 102 and the RN Motor Gun Boat MGB 81.
    [align=center]
    [​IMG]
    HSL 102 and MGB 81 in the Solent in Feb 2010[/align]

Project Vernon, the campaign to erect a monument commemorating the minewarfare and diving heritage of HMS Vernon, will also have a stand at the festival. Its Facebook Group can be found here.

[align=center][​IMG]
    Artist's impression of Project Vernon statue at Gunwharf Quays[/align]

6. See here: Support The Marine Society & Sea Cadets

7. Thought you meant all at once!

8. Only tonight we booked 2 of our cadets on this fantastic venture for July. At £240 (sponsorship available) it's a bargain and superb opportunity for kids to team-up, realise their own potential and excel.

I really do hope they replace her with something similar.

9. We were moored alongside Royalist in some French port, didn't realise she was still going.

10. A sad aftermath to this weekend's 150th Anniversary Sea Cadet Festival at Gunwharf Quays in Portsmouth:

BBC News: Sea cadet, 14, dies after falling from ship in Solent
    My deep condolences to the lad's family and friends.