Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Navy Mental Health Nurse?

MrNurse

Anybody know if the navy have mental health nurses as well as adult?

If they do, do they offer bursaries for students studying in civvy st with a view to joining at the end?

I've had a look a the RN website but I can't find the answer (possibly I'm being thick so would appreciate any help)

Many thanks

MrNurse

sgtpepperband said:
Job advert; if you had a nursing degree perhaps you can join as a Nursing Officer?

http//www2.nmc4jobs.com/apply_for_position.php?VacancyId=13205
Cheers for the reply,

Just started my degree and was really looking at the idea of joining straight out of uni - officers need two years post reg experience to apply. That said, it's on my list of things to achieve with a few years experience.

In truth I've looked at the Army to do my training in and was part way through the application process, but it all moved too slow and I felt that I needed to get started rather than wait and risk not getting in, whilst missing the boat for this years civvy intake. So hear I am looking around for my future options.

I'm doing the mental health branch which the army have use for but can't find whether or not the RN does from their website. I've not given up on the army, but decided to have a look for other options now I have the time to shop around.

Thanks again

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Most Defence Medical Centres are tri-Service anyway, so you'll have plenty of opportunity to work with Navy. Our nutters are better than Army nutters! :D

andym

War Hero
We had a Psychiatric unit at Haslar,which had patients from all 3 services.Im pretty sure (certainly in my day there)that there wasnt an equivalent RMN.most of the staff that were Nurses,not MA's were MT(N).They were also as barking as some of the patients!I would have thought that if the RN do take and train Mental Health Nurses the number will be very small.I think your best bet is to drop by your local recruitment office and ask them.

all_purple_now

Lantern Swinger
I have a sneaking suspicion that:

a) the requirement isn't very big
b) RMNs are classed as medical technicians (the only one I've met was a CPOMT), not QARNNS, and
c) I suspect that the rules re: Nursing Officers don't apply as the only route to a commission is MSO or change branch.

This needs checking with the AFCO.

APN

There was a RN mental health nurse on my staff course so they definitely exist. He had transferred across from the army tho. I believe that its something that the Navy is trying to increase.
Ask the question at the careers office.

A

angrydoc

There are mental health nurses in the RN, both Officers and Ratings. To be able to apply for Officer entry you need to be at least 2 years post-degree. From my experience the split is about 50:50, but I don't know what the official figures are.

They provide an excellent service, currently working out of HASLAR in Gosport under the direction of an RN consultant psychiatrist, although I am not sure what will happen with it closes.

Directorate of Naval Recruiting has a Nursing Officer on his staff to deal with such queries - he'll sort you out!

There are some bum steers herein! It is not only possible, but is the norm for QARNNS mental health nursing officers to be recruited from the MT(M) branch. There are at least 3 at the moment, in addition to a Cdr in a staff job the ex-Army Lt Cdr mentioned previously. No QARNNS or RN psychiatric nurses has ever been given a bursary to my knowledge, but most of the current personnel trained in the Service - far more financially well-rewarded than a bursary. Requires a definite commitment to serve though.

On the one hand, you'd be mad to join, on the other you'd be mad not to, but as you are considering a mental health career you're probably mad anyway! The Service needs mental health professionals now as much as ever before, because there are a lot of broken people coming back from ops, so good luck in your endeavours.

all_purple_now

Lantern Swinger
asst_dep_to_dep_asst said:
The Service needs mental health professionals now as much as ever before, because there are a lot of broken people coming back from ops, so good luck in your endeavours.

I was under the impression that all Military Psych in the UK was being subcontracted to the Priory group (as owned by Tony's crony Dr Chai Patel) - is this incorrect?

APN

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
all_purple_now said:
The Service needs mental health professionals now as much as ever before, because there are a lot of broken people coming back from ops, so good luck in your endeavours.

I was under the impression that all Military Psych in the UK was being subcontracted to the Priory group (as owned by Tony's crony Dr Chai Patel) - is this incorrect?

APN

Depends on the therapy required - the patient will be sent to the appropriate venue. There is a Priory Clinic in Marchwood, Southampton, so obviously there are a number of service personnel from the local area receiving treatment there.

[quote="all_purple_now I was under the impression that all Military Psych in the UK was being subcontracted to the Priory group (as owned by Tony's crony Dr Chai Patel) - is this incorrect?

APN[/quote]

No. The Priory Group look after those needing in-patient care, but those with problems manageable as outpatients are dealt with by single-Service teams.

all_purple_now

Lantern Swinger
No. The Priory Group look after those needing in-patient care, but those with problems manageable as outpatients are dealt with by single-Service teams.

Thanks - I stand corrected.

APN

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Joining the Royal Navy with past mental health issues Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
G Royal Navy Marine Engineer Professional Training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
MoD_RSS Royal Navy seizes £11 million worth of drugs in Arabian Sea MoD News 0
higthepig Navy news January 2021 The Quarterdeck 0
G WW2 service in Royal Navy Questions History 7
MoD_RSS £230 million contract to bolster Royal Navy torpedoes MoD News 0
M Questions regarding the Royal Navy Medical Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
Blue_Water_Jack Navy News December 2020 The Quarterdeck 0
MoD_RSS Statutory Instrument on Royal Navy Police enforcement powers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Red letter day for Royal Navy in Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Royal Navy warships monitor significant Russian presence close to UK waters MoD News 0
J Navy Lies The Quarterdeck 21
higthepig Navy news November 2020 The Quarterdeck 0
MoD_RSS World-class autonomous minehunters to protect Royal Navy MoD News 1
AccessHeritage Royal Navy's Use of The Infernal Machine History 19
MoD_RSS Royal Navy warship sails into Arctic Circle for High North operation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Royal Navy concludes first joint exercises with Egypt MoD News 0
N royal navy medical appeal alcohol Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
higthepig Navy news October 2020 The Quarterdeck 0
mikh Navy Net asks for your consent to use your personal data to: Bloody Computers 9
MoD_RSS Royal Navy seizes over 450kg in the largest methamphetamine drug bust in the Middle East MoD News 0
soleil FB: National Museum Of The Royal Navy: 215th Anniversary Of The Battle Of Trafalgar History 2
soleil FB: Royal Navy And Royal Marines Charity - Hosting Your Own Trafalgar Night/Pickle Night Dinner History 2
soleil Express: "Submarine Sparks Panic In Scotland As Onlookers Mistake Royal Navy Exercise For Fire" Submariners 2
sampost Jubilee Sailing Trust announces pioneering collaboration with the Royal Navy Sports and Adventure Training 2
soleil Royal Navy Recipients In The Queen's Birthday Honours List 2020 Current Affairs 2
soleil FB: Royal Navy And Royal Marines Charity: World Uckers Championship 2020 The Fleet 1
soleil The Times: "Life On The Ocean Wave: The Royal Navy Photographic Awards" The Fleet 1
soleil BBC: "HMS Queen Elizabeth: On board The Royal Navy's New Aircraft Carrier" The Fleet 0
MoD_RSS Royal Navy seize £160 million worth of drugs in the Caribbean MoD News 1
higthepig Navy news September 2020 The Quarterdeck 0
soleil NWE Mail: "Barrow Built Submarine Becomes Inaugural Winner Of A New Royal Navy Commendation" Submariners 2
soleil New Badge For Trainee Royal Navy Submariners Submariners 18
M Royal Navy interviews Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
D Royal Navy Handymen The Fleet 21
B how to find service number royal navy Site Issues 7
soleil P. News: "Royal Navy's HMS Sultan Forced To Cancel Popular Fireworks Due To Covid-19" Bases / Shore Est 4
H Royal Navy Push up standards Joining the Royal Navy 5
J Navy or RAF Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 8
soleil FB: NAVYFit - Squash - 1SL v The Chief Of The Australian Navy Sports and Adventure Training 1
higthepig Navy news August 2020 The Quarterdeck 0
S Transfer from Army to Navy Joining the Royal Navy 13
D Both parents in the Royal Navy Joining the Royal Navy 1
soleil FB: National Museum Of The Royal Navy - On This Day - Sir Thomas Sean Connery Was Born History 3
MoD_RSS DIO completes state-of-the-art gym for Royal Navy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK launches multinational training to enhance Ukrainian Navy against threats from the East MoD News 0
soleil Somerset Live: Royal Navy 'Legend' Still Flying After 50 Years And 9,200 Hours In The Air The Fleet Air Arm 2
soleil FB: Navy Wings: 'The Wrong Sort Of Air' ……......…..... The Fleet Air Arm 3
soleil Dorset Echo: "‘Does Anyone Know My Old Navy Friend?" The Quarterdeck 4
T Navy Entry Date Marine Engineer Joining the Royal Navy 4