Navy Matters

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by nuts_mcauliff, Dec 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just read the year in review and it is really a bit bleak all round.

Navy Matters

Nuts

2. Have just read this myself.

Like he said, not as bleak as some years, but setting up for a poor 2008.

3. That looks intersting
    Alough i got 2paragraphs in and got bored
    Ama read it when i can be botherd lol

4. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

It's not only boring tripe, its also badly spun - just read the paragraph about the RN having to use foreign navies Harriers as the Air Wing - total rot - that was an aim of the exercise to prove interoperability.

That chimp is a buffoon. He's just regurgitating previously released material and adding his own opinion. Better off reading Janes at least they are proper journalists.

5. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Don't forget this is just one persons view......

6. Well done. Ma'am. Let's hope they don't ask you about such stuff at your AIB. By the way, did boredom set in prior to or after the condolences on there for the eight RMs killed in action this year?

7. –––––––––––––––––––––––

Actually he referred to using foreign Harriers to maintain existing fixed wing operation skills.

You may have missed the dit that we shitcanned all our radar equipped Harriers a few years ago and only the USMC, Italians and Spanish have radar and ARMRAAM equipped Harriers we can 'borrow' to keep up to speed with fighter ops.

8. having just read that i didnt not realise that an OM and a LOM had died this year. Could anyone shed any light on to this happened?

9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Danny: HMS Tireless fire. Ongoing SIB/MOD Police/H&S Executive investigation. No further details should be posted due to OPSEC.

10. Ahh ok. I just could nto rember the event and was shocked. that was all.

11. wave_dodger

You actually think we need to get foreign aircraft onboard to maintain the handlers and the platforms currency?

NSW still operate on the CVS, all the baby pilots still do their deck time. I am sure the carriers don't need the Spanish to help them.

I accept the point they fly onboard less, all depends on the role of the platform, but whichever role it is I wouldn't have thought we need to 'keep up to speed with fighter ops'.

12. Considering this is a review of the Navy in 2007, Apart from our fallen brothers there is nothing on 3 commando brigade. with the whole brigade in fighting operations this year in Afghan and the new equipment getting put to the absolute test in theatre ie, Viking, Javelin and Bowman. This obviously isnt Royal Marines matters!
    P.s Can the bootnecks have their own ID card then??

13. Interesting read and it could be worse. But please please can the Saudis not get their undeserving hands on two T45's!

14. Its always very sad when any serviceman dies but shortly afterwards two US Sailiors died in plymouth sound from a Nuke boat
    Sad even so

15. The idea being mooted is to flog the Saudis hulls 5&6 so they can get two 45's in short order as a sweetener for the deal.

It also very handily allows Gordon the Broone to push the cost of two 45's into the next Parliament - Cynical? Moi?

16. Its Tri service not Quad service.

18. wave_dodger

You don't of course. I don't think anyone is pretending otherwise either. Like it or not we've moved away from the F/A2's. Until such time as the new CVF and their embarked air wing are operational the RN is operating without an organic Fighter capability.

The decision I presume was taken for a host of financial, political and strategic decisions on a risk basis.

Why, do you think we're pretending to play carrier based - defensive fighter operations?

19. Because we're locked into denial.

Putting up a very subsonic GR9 with 10nm IR AAM's and no radar against a Mig-29/SU-27 = very dead GR9