Navy Laws and Rights

Radraga

I'm looking for someone to direct me to online references offering information on the following: I've been told not receiving make amends in which to sleep after a duty is mandatory. Any where state this?

Seadog

War Hero
I'm looking for someone to direct me to online references offering information on the following: I've been told not receiving make amends in which to sleep after a duty is mandatory. Any where state this?
Oomgaway; me um heap big waffling bollocks **** nugget.

bollotom

War Hero
Make and mend generally only taken after doing the "Middle Watch" from Midnight to 0400 at which kai will generally be served. I doubt you'll find an article so and so, page so and so, para so and so. It's tradition. You might also be interested in the fact that those on the "Morning Watch" get an extra half hour before turning to in the a.m. I once did a five hundred thousand word essay on "The vagaries, advantages and enigma presented by middle watch traditions from a legal contractual perspective" I'll send you a copy for fifty quid, can't be fairer than that. :cool:

Sumo

War Hero
M&M's isn't that a bag of nutty given to juniors after sports Make & Mend? Some traditions may look odd, in a post Jimmy Savile world Or an American wrapper?

Sumo

War Hero
Sorry for your struggle, if it is anywhere it will be in a book, the sort of thing you find in a library, normally made from paper, you have to read, research and turn pages, a bit old school but that's what naval traditions are :)

Ballistic

War Hero
So let's get this straight.
You come on here asking for help.
You don't say you're asking on behalf on someone else so it's not unresonable to treat the question as if it's come from a disgruntled matelot.

Then you tell the first person to point out the correct phraseolgy, (which will assist with your enqiry - unambiguous wording always helps), to pisd off (sic) because you don't like the abbreviation used (FFS!) which any matelot wouldn't have batted an eyelid at.

I'm posting on behalf of my boyfriend piss ofd
No I'm telling you for going for fucks sake
Good luck :rolleyes:

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Having cracked 40 hours over two days, I'm disinclined to feel overly sympathetic.

However I certainly remember being fairly miffed when working night watches and denied time off in lieu by a fat MEO dayworker.

When working normal peacetime daily routines, free from whole ship tasking (stores, RAS, flying, exercises, etc) I see no logical reason why make and mends should not be given, particularly if it involves compliance with working time directives and compromises safety through fatigue.

It doesn't look great on a ship's investigation when someone is injured (or worse) because of unreasonable fatigue through piss poor man-management.

Ship's Standing Orders or Departmental Standing Orders will usually outline the aspiration and intent with regard fatigue and safe working practice but equally, operational tasking may override the aim on occasion.

Generally, from my time, anyone working the middle watch (midnight to 0400) were the only people entitled to claim a make and mend. Some ships used to grant one after the morning (0400 to 0800), but most didn't. Never ever heard of a make and mend given to anyone working the first (2000-2359) or earlier.

There maybe reference to working hours in the Armed Forces Act, but I doubt make & mends get a mention, somehow as they tend to be a local arrangement.

Hey diddle diddle, Jacks pinged for the Middle
"Wot! nae make 'n mender? "(sez party, tender)
"RR best tell me where it is writ
Afore I start to sling some sh!t."

Answers came - some even sane
Yet none placated that bitter dame

Behold & Nina takes the floor
To picturise that forlorn lassie.

Moral here for newbie Knights:

Slap ye'self in for perm'nant nights
...but tell no slappers of your 'rights'.