Navy Hospitals

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Kal_Stu, Feb 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good Afternoon. A quick questions on Naval hospitals. I got asked at my interview what are the naval hospitals. This question i told him honestly that i didn't know due to me not being able to find it on the internet. I have searched several times on google but don't get what i am looking for, maybe i worded it badly. Anyways i used wikipedia (very unreliable source so i thought i would check on here to see if i can get the correct information....

On wikipedia it says
    " A Royal Naval Hospital (RNH) was a hospital operated by the Royal Navy. No Royal Naval Hospitals survive as such, although some have become civilian hospitals and one remains as a tri-service military hospital.
    Royal Naval Hospitals included:
    So it RNH Haslar the only remaining navy hospital? I have read about a hospital "Stonehouse" is that still around? Is the Queen Alexandra Hospital still used as a military hospital aswell?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure i know the information is correct before i go for my update interview.

Thanks Kal
  2. Another few seconds on Google would have informed you 'Stonehouse' IS the RNH Devonport!!! Stonehouse I believe refers to the district of Guzz it was located.

Not all things 'wiki' are fact!!!!! Beware.
  3. Kal

Haslar closed just a couple of years ago.

Care is now given in Ministry of Defence Health Units, MDHUs, in NHS Hospitals at these locations:

MDHU Frimley Park
    Frimley Park Hospital

MDHU Peterborough
    Peterborough City Hospital

MDHU Portsmouth
    Queen Alexandra Hospital

MDHU Plymouth
    Derriford Hospital

MDHU Northallerton
    Friarage Hospital
    North Yorkshire

Also note:

Royal Centre for Defence Medicine

This is where the personnel who have been brought back with injuries from Afghanistan are treated.

This is a very simple explanation; I am sure that AngryDoc and various MAs will be able to add extra detail.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  4. which, considering

shows that not all answers on here are relevant.

Stonehouse bit is correct though.
  5. :cussing:This thread has flashed up my memory banks and will be of use to kal stu at all. Sorry mate. IT took me back to the good old days, you know them, they get better with every pint.:excited: Anyway, due to being messed in conditions that today would drive the Elf and safety mad[Not the least slinging my mick under asbestos lagged pipes] I clued up in the then R.N.H.Gillingham with pneumonia, pleurisy and suspected t.b.:sad8: I seem to remember that it was noted for having the longest corridoor of any hospital at least 440 yards[fcuk metric]For a while I was very ill indeed. :angel9: I often wonder if I had not made a full recovery if the cry of, the then, Crown Immunity would have echoed around the rafters? We Old n Bold dont always look back with the rose tinted specs,:angry8: I'll go back to sleep now. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  6. Much of Stonehouse hospital has now gone - some buildings remain and the first link below gives some indication of what these building are used for today. How up to date the website is I am unsure. However, I am certain that Stonehouse is no longer a hospital in any shape or form having been closed some years ago. Derriford hospital now houses the military facility for Plymouth area - see second link.

Plymouth Hospitals
  7. Having just got back from the UK and spending a lot of time at derriford, saw a couple of Navy people there!
  8. I was stitched up in both Stonehouse and Derriford. Last time was seen by a naval type called George (lovely little girly doctor, she held my hand as I didn't cry).
  9. RNH Bighi in Malta. They're sending me to Bighi cos my pipe it is so leaky--For those suffering with roses round their fore.
  10. Ah, the good old days of RNHs. All gone now, awaiting redevelopment after being sold to developers for a song (as per usual MoD policy).

Several reasons for their downfall - money was only one. Military doctors in RNHs (and Army and RAF equivalents) were very good at treating 20 year olds with sore knees but not much good at anything else. There simply wasn't the throughput. So when a military person had something "proper" wrong with them, RNHs were becoming second best to the NHS.

Ministry of Defence Hospital Units (MDHUs) were formed in the areas previously served by military hospitals to take up the slack. They are NHS hospitals with a proportion of military staff (medical, nursing and MA/CMT (and some Army Healthcare Assistants)) who look after predominantly civilian patients but also the military population. If you are military and come into, for example, Derriford in Plymouth you will not necessarily be looked after by a military team but military staff will be available for medcat advice and general support.

The NHS wins as it gets lots of medical and nursing staff at cut price, and we win because we get to be better at our jobs and see more sick patients. The Royal Centre for Defence Medicine in Birmingham is a bit of an exception - technically not an MDHU but essentially is one. All personnel evacuated from military platforms will go there. Mainly civilian medical staff, but a few military bods about. I think there should be more military bods but Birmingham isn't the biggest pull when someone wants to join the RN!

I had a plan for Haslar which noone listened to - so I'll give it a go here. It could have functioned essentially as a private hospital, looking after predominantly Service (and retired Service) personnel but also doing elective (ie planned) surgery as a contractor to the local NHS Trust. Staff, under an agreement, would rotate through Queen Alexandra Hospital and RNH Haslar for proportions of time to get experience of both elective surgery (in Haslar) and emergency surgery (in QAH).

Anyway, it's now gone - and can occasionally be seen as the backdrop to Holby City.

That's a bit of a cheeky question to be asked in an interview - are you coming into the medical/nursing branches?
  11. That's a bit of a cheeky question to be asked in an interview - are you coming into the medical/nursing branches?[/QUOTE]

I am waiting to join as MA(Gs). I wasn't as prepared for the interview as I thought I was. So I want to make sure that I know everything that I did badly in for the update one.
  12. Kal

So, now that you have some new ideas from this thread, do you have a suitable answer ready, in your own words, which you can use if he/she asks the same question again?

Were there any other tricky bits in the first interview?
  13. Yes I have a good idea o what to say if I get asked again. Thank you for all the information. I have taken it all and put it in note form so it is easier to take in and remember and change to what I want to say.

I think that was the hardest question as I couldn't find the information. Everything else I have got in notes. The only part that I need to make sure i keep up-to-date on is the global operations and what the navy is doing at this time.
  14. FYI - MDHU Derriford's website - good info there and is broadly similar to other MDHUs. Derriford is the oldest MDHU.

NB - the website mentions the Defence Medical Education and Training Agency - DMETA. This no longer exists and has been replaced by an organisation called Joint Medical Command (JMC). JMC basically runs secondary (ie hospital) care in Defence - it is a tri-service organisation. Primary care (ie GP stuff) is single-service run - for now...

Good luck.
  15. Thanks angrydoc for the link. Bookmarked and I will have a proper look through when I get to a computer.

Thank you so much Soleil always so helpful :) I will keep an eye on that page the next couple of days.

Thank you everyone else that added input into my questions.