Navy Gets Three Meals A Day For £1.80

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by 5dits, Apr 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RN - shit food (well okayish), beer onboard,

USN - good food, no beer, lots of high-fiving each other, saluting everyone and everything that moves,

bring on the Andrew any day

2. Credit where credit's due, naval cookery has always amazed me. Daily victualling allowance = £1.80 per individual to cover ingredients for all three main meals plus any beverages and snacks like 'nine o'clockers'. Add this to the fact that three or four chefs working in a galley the size of a large domestic kitchen can produce three meals per day, day in and day out, for a ship's company upwards of 200. And they think they have it tough on Masterchef.

Just for the sake of argument, I wonder what meals allowance an MP receives?

3. 'Father Famine' would be pleased with the fare that is reported.....but not 'Jack'.....just a baguette for lunch?.....only meat and 2 veg for the evening meal? Someone is being economical with more than just the food?

Best rate that I experienced was on NP 1810 [Stena Seaspread] and even then it was a reduced rate from the normal North Sea allowance

4. Baguettes for lunch whilst out in the tropics are pretty standard on most ships (7 years ago), easy for the ships company to grab and take on the upper deck for bronzying.
    Also good for the cooks not having ovens blasting out heat all day and as a consequence helps reduce the heatload for the air conditioning to cope with

5. Personally, I thought that the nosh that was dished up was excellent given the conditions, staffing, facilities and resources. Steak night on board boats (and curry night, for that matter) were always amazing. Granted, I wasn't on the deployment by a certain black bringer of doom that ran out of food on patrol, leaving tinned cabbage for three meals a day - "venting air" anyone?

6. Reminds me of that common food complaint in days of yore: "There's a hole in my baguette, dear Liza, dear Liza..."

7. yes all right - i'll admit that the food onboard a carrier is very good, steak night, theme night etc etc- just dont tell the white mafia

8. Think of what they ate 200 years ago in Nelson's Day, you guys have it easy compared to the stale biscuits they got.

For those who has seen an officer and a commander, 'the lesser of 2 wevils'

Thats made me laugh alot.

9. Think of what they ate 200 years ago in Nelson's Day, you guys have it easy compared to the stale biscuits they got.

For those who has seen an master and a commander, 'the lesser of 2 wevils'

Thats made me laugh alot.

MAs

10. In the early 80s, the PO Chef on CHURCHILL told the SCUM or the MIRROR that the MoD Plod dogs were allowed more per day than Jack. He was quietly ushered outside (maybe that's whay he wanted), but they had to admit the story was actually true.

11. Just shows how much we're being ripped off by the supermarkets though, seeing how much it costs to feed a family.

12. They had shit loads of Rum though to wash it down!

13. I was told by an ex sailor (b1865) that weevils were appreciated as flavourings when the ships biscuit was fried.

14. I remember going onto a USN ship in the West Indies somewhere and an officer asked us if we were security cleared (we were RO's) to unclassified!
    He was also of the opinion that the chinese tailor shorts we were wearing could 'promote' homosexuality....Bless 'im!

15. I vaguely remember being told that the allowance in the RN was the same as that for prisoners in gaols.
    Given that we were eating of the same pressed steel surgical trays that little bit of info didn't go down well; strangely shortly afterwards we got china plates - Intrepid mid 70's. With a warning though that if too many got broken, and they did given the way the thing rolled, we'd be back on the pressed stell ones, which didn't happen.

16. When I did my POSA course in 73. a lot of it was victualling (an alien concept to an ex-nuts & bolts JD) - when you read the fine print in the Manual, there were all sorts of extra pennies and halfpennies you could claim - ratings who could be classed as "Juniors", watchkeepers, nuclear allowances, if you had a good grocer/PO Chef, or caterer inboard, you'd always clear a profit at the end of a trip.

17. Assuming that the catering allowance is on the same basis as it was in my day, there is a whole heap of MOD instructions to follow and from which to take advice, from the old "Hints to Mess Caterers and Cooks of Messes" (BR44(49)) and "Ready Reckoner of Food Values" (HMSO 1964), of which I still have my copies, to, no doubt today's "Delia's helpful hints for cooks on the move", or something similar.
    The DVR (Daily Victualling Rate), later DMR (Daily Messing Rate) was published every year, and was a per capita allowance which varied with
    numbers victualled and zone in which serving, with various supplements for men under training, juniors, hazardous duties, etc.
    The "staples" of diet, (various meats, potatoes and basic vegetables, bread, etc.) were all given a "Fleet Issuing Price" which was standard throughout the fleet, regardless of how much it cost to buy these commodities. These were known as service items. Other, non-service items could be purchased, and were issued to General Mess at cost.
    The DMR/DVR was split 20% breakfast, 45% dinner, 10% tea/snack, 25% supper, and prescribed limits were put on what % of the DMR could be spent on meat/potatoes/veg etc. When we were audited, the report would point out any trangression of these rules which had led to an overspend, and provide the bean counter's remedies to avoid repetition.
    So catering was, and I suspect still is, a balancing act, with which, given a crew of dedicated cooks, one could maintain reasonable standards, but just a couple of disinterested cooks could throw the whole system out of balance and cause grief all round.
    So although £1.80 may not sound much, as long as the Fleet Issuing Price of basic commodities is kept low enough to match it, there should not be a problem, and you can be sure that the MOD has a large team of bean counters who have it all worked out on paper!

2BM

18. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

I have always been incredibly impressed by the chefs and what they produced ashore and especially at sea/deployed.

The greatest mistake (IMHO) over the lasty 16 years has been the reduction in their shore side billets and the consequent plummeting in food standards in all the shore bases.

Perhaps it would have been wiser to retain the chefs posts and use them as the foundation for PAYD.

Whatever the amount of money they are allocated I have never had a meal that I couldn't eat.

19. I've always thought of the galley staff as 'Cooks' plain and simple.
    Chef is a high falutin' name to make 'em feel more important than they are. Sure they feed the crew but that's their job...and that's all they do...cook!
    'Oh don't upset the galley staff because they will serve up shite food...What? D'you mean somebody hasn't already done that big time!?