Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Navy Days 2009

Just as an aside from someone who has organised events in the past.

Putting up trade stands costs money, even the basic "shell scheme" ones, you then have to think about the cost of a marquee if there is one, cables and electricity supplied and installed so dear old Mrs Jones selling knitted ball bag covers has a three pin plug for her kettle and a light over her head. There are a host of health and safety bollocks that must be met, minimum space for walkways, fire extinguishers, signage etc. All exhibitors must have public liability and the organiser must have additional cover to offer "umbrella" coverage of all. This all costs money.

There is however no reason why the organisers cannot add on a little bit to all the "money makers" rent to enable the service charities to be there free of charge as long as they have insurance.

In answer to some of the issues raised...

Navy Days is deliberately run as close to zero-cost as possible. An estimate is made of the cost to run the event, with revenue sources then designed to match the cost. The figures mentioned in the posts above reflects only the income, not the cost. Staging an event for 20,000 people, on what is effectively an industrial site, is hugely compex and expensive.

In relation to the comment about the event management consultants, Navy Days is run by the Royal Navy, with extensive co-operation from an independent consultant who assist with the traders and caterers, and from Babcock Marine. The consultants do not 'run the show', the Navy Days project management team and the operations team on the day are all RN.

Finally, with regard to charities, a number are given free pitches due to their close association with the Royal Navy. Others pay a small fee, which is standard practice at an event such as this.

trelawney126

War Hero
NavyDays2009 said:
In answer to some of the issues raised...

Navy Days is deliberately run as close to zero-cost as possible. An estimate is made of the cost to run the event, with revenue sources then designed to match the cost. The figures mentioned in the posts above reflects only the income, not the cost. Staging an event for 20,000 people, on what is effectively an industrial site, is hugely compex and expensive.

In relation to the comment about the event management consultants, Navy Days is run by the Royal Navy, with extensive co-operation from an independent consultant who assist with the traders and caterers, and from Babcock Marine. The consultants do not 'run the show', the Navy Days project management team and the operations team on the day are all RN.

Finally, with regard to charities, a number are given free pitches due to their close association with the Royal Navy. Others pay a small fee, which is standard practice at an event such as this.

The main drip is about the cost. There was a Commander who appeared on the Westcountry news who stated that it was to "Show off the navy, increase the interest of youngsters who wish to join the Navy and to show the public how the Navy worked. Fine sentiments.
My next door neighbour both ex RN twins aged 16 and one lad aged 14
No concessions for being ex forces both lads aged 16 pay adult rates! Expensive day out! Youngsters in the pipeline for joining (bcgirl) pays £14 to get first hand experience for her AIB.
There was a rehersal day, why not use potential recruits as the "public" for rehersals, There is no charge when ships are open to the public when on official visits, so why charge the next generation of servicemen and women. No concessions for ex RN or serving RN (unless in rig) MOD civil servants 50% discount! People in the Westcountry do not enjoy the "national average" wage so why compare Navy Days with a day out at Alton Towers, and their not in the recruitment game! rant over

Guns

War Hero
I know that Help For Heroes got their pitch for free. Plus a very good looking Ship's Liaison Officer to help out.

trelawney126 said:
No concessions for ex RN or serving RN (unless in rig) MOD civil servants 50% discount! People in the Westcountry do not enjoy the "national average" wage so why compare Navy Days with a day out at Alton Towers, and their not in the recruitment game! rant over

This isn't correct - ALL service personnel were entitled to free entry in rig plus two tickets at 50% discount. If not in rig, they could (and many, many did) buy two tickets at 50% discount, the same as MOD Civil Servants. A lot of positive feedback has been received so far, including many people who believed the day to be good value for money. Given the very tight budget constraints that defence is currently under, I think people would be justifiably angry if we set the prices lower but made a loss.

trelawney126

War Hero
Get this then guys, we sail after navy days on Sunday and I have to return onboard, in uniform prior to sailing or pay the entrance fee, winner!
tiddlyoggy

Stand corrected on the Service discount, The fundemental question however remains unanswered. Why no discount for Veterans and the idea of using potential recruits as "the public" on rehersal day. Whilst I agree that the event should be run at a profit, to pay the expenses MOD plod overtime security, policing, signage, first aid cover etc. Adult price should be at 18years or over. Most 16year olds are either just leaving school and do not have their own income.

Seadog

War Hero
Thank you for your replies to my points NavyDays2009.

Given the very tight budget constraints that defence is currently under, I think people would be justifiably angry if we set the prices lower but made a loss.

Fair one.

trelawney126 wrote

The fundemental question however remains unanswered. Why no discount for Veterans

It would be appropriate but until veterans have a Service ID like (some of) the US Forces, how does one prove entitlement? Veterans badges are already on EBay.

and the idea of using potential recruits as "the public" on rehersal day.
If you mean those in the recruitment process, are there enough for a meaningful scale rehearsal for an event attracting >9000 a day? Are they available and willing? If so they need to get to Devonport, they need to be accommodated, fed and watered. They are not yet serving, can we marshall them about to play Joe Public?

Was there even a rehearsal day? I don't know but I do know that on Friday the site was still being set up so it seems unlikely.

trelawney126

War Hero
Seadog said:
Thank you for your replies to my points NavyDays2009.

Given the very tight budget constraints that defence is currently under, I think people would be justifiably angry if we set the prices lower but made a loss.

Fair one.

trelawney126 wrote

The fundemental question however remains unanswered. Why no discount for Veterans

It would be appropriate but until veterans have a Service ID like (some of) the US Forces, how does one prove entitlement? Veterans badges are already on EBay.

and the idea of using potential recruits as "the public" on rehersal day.
If you mean those in the recruitment process, are there enough for a meaningful scale rehearsal for an event attracting >9000 a day? Are they available and willing? If so they need to get to Devonport, they need to be accommodated, fed and watered. They are not yet serving, can we marshall them about to play Joe Public?

Was there even a rehearsal day? I don't know but I do know that on Friday the site was still being set up so it seems unlikely.

No the Westcountry news On Friday showed the river rehersal. The Captain of HMS OCEAN being interviewed said it was a rehersal and it was he who stated what was on and what was to see.
Veterans may not have ID Cards but are all in receipt of the yearly p60 from the paymaster general which states Service pension and thus shows they are veterans. Never seen one of those on e-bay yet.
The potential recruits could be offered 50% discount tickets from their AFCO, if its too much to organise a public type rehersal. At least think about it.

Seadog

War Hero
The Ocean rehearsal sounds like an individual unit one, rather than a Navy Days one. 'Potential recruits' ? Open to abuse. 'I'm thinking of joining - cheers Easy'. Service Pensioners = Veterans leaves out the majority who are not service pensioners. But yes, a discount would be appropriate.

Comms

Nice to know that the Guard get a mention in all of this. We waited around both days until 1630 to get changed into ones just to do a General Salute and a march off. It was a complete waste of time! The worst Navy Days in a while I think.

angry_mac

War Hero
To charge the Taxpayer any money to see what their cash is spent on is a fundamental disgrace. Why oh why did they not amalgamate Navy Days with this weekend's Defence sales in London, and let those private organisations, such as BAE, Babcock,Thales carry some of the costs via sponsorship, I dont think their profit margins would be that dented.

WhiteRose

Lantern Swinger
We need another IFOS. That was brilliant.

Stop faffing around with Navy Days and the distinctly half-arsed Navy Past and Present and let's do it properly like we did last time.

Tell you what, knock it on the head for the next two summers (cost saving, and all that) and in 2012? An IFOS in honour of Her Majesty's 60th Jubilee.

Polycell

War Hero
IDOITDEEPER said:
Polycell said:
Thats it you see 'guns' how us 'oldies' managed where you sprogs can't.
I did a couple of Navy days back in the 60's and like I said it was done by the duty watch. Admittedly as duty LEM I was run raggied flashing up the radar making sure little erks didn't touch anything they weren't allowed to etc but we managed.
Perhaps you lot don't do duty watches anymore, I don't know. If there was a fire we put it out but then again we weren't a scruffy bunch of buggers that we left our mess decks looking like pigstys like it seems they do these day as was evident on the last Warship documentary hence we never had gear lying around to catch fire. It was all stowed away neatly.
As for clearing up well thats done after every one has buggered off.
So you are the only ones that go to sea, well suprisingly enough I did three foreign deployments two of 18 months thats eighteen months without coming home!!! and one of nine months two out the FES and one in Malta. I seemed to remember that we were always on the Intrepid out the FES when we went somewhere 'Open to visitors' and all done by the duty watch and we managed to get the ship tidy painted and floodlit (which us poor 'greenies' had to do!!)
So guns its been done before but don't let that stop you going to another 'Planning meeting' and tell everyone what a hard done by overworked under payed poor little bugger you are. :cry: :cry:
ROMFT!!
Whats BULW? and whats a POW(A)? Oh and FES is Far East Station!! but don't worry about that you'll never have to go out there unless the Japs flash up again!! :lol: :lol:

Same old, same old. Pissed stained old soaks bleating on and on and on about matters they no longer know anything about.

I really do despair
IDOITDEEPER
Yea you are right DEEPER IDIOT. Sorry.
Not quite right Wrecker. I left the Navy a few years ago and never went back. I belong to no Old Comrades associations. My memories are in my head I don't need to re live them by talking bollocks down a mess deck.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Polycell said:
IDOITDEEPER said:
Polycell said:
Thats it you see 'guns' how us 'oldies' managed where you sprogs can't.
I did a couple of Navy days back in the 60's and like I said it was done by the duty watch. Admittedly as duty LEM I was run raggied flashing up the radar making sure little erks didn't touch anything they weren't allowed to etc but we managed.
Perhaps you lot don't do duty watches anymore, I don't know. If there was a fire we put it out but then again we weren't a scruffy bunch of buggers that we left our mess decks looking like pigstys like it seems they do these day as was evident on the last Warship documentary hence we never had gear lying around to catch fire. It was all stowed away neatly.
As for clearing up well thats done after every one has buggered off.
So you are the only ones that go to sea, well suprisingly enough I did three foreign deployments two of 18 months thats eighteen months without coming home!!! and one of nine months two out the FES and one in Malta. I seemed to remember that we were always on the Intrepid out the FES when we went somewhere 'Open to visitors' and all done by the duty watch and we managed to get the ship tidy painted and floodlit (which us poor 'greenies' had to do!!)
So guns its been done before but don't let that stop you going to another 'Planning meeting' and tell everyone what a hard done by overworked under payed poor little bugger you are. :cry: :cry:
ROMFT!!
Whats BULW? and whats a POW(A)? Oh and FES is Far East Station!! but don't worry about that you'll never have to go out there unless the Japs flash up again!! :lol: :lol:

Same old, same old. Pissed stained old soaks bleating on and on and on about matters they no longer know anything about.

I really do despair
IDOITDEEPER
Yea you are right DEEPER IDIOT. Sorry.
Not quite right Wrecker. I left the Navy a few years ago and never went back. I belong to no Old Comrades associations. My memories are in my head I don't need to re live them by talking bollocks down a mess deck.

Just on this site then :wink:

dixie_gooner

Lantern Swinger
Seadog said:
The Ocean rehearsal sounds like an individual unit one, rather than a Navy Days one. 'Potential recruits' ? Open to abuse. 'I'm thinking of joining - cheers Easy'. Service Pensioners = Veterans leaves out the majority who are not service pensioners. But yes, a discount would be appropriate.

It wasnt an individual unit rehearsal. In fact Ocean didn't rehearse anything that day. Th rehearsals were compiled of the river and air displays

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Navy Days 2009 Current Affairs 6
soleil ThisIsKent: "Navy To Sweep Sheppey Coast After 26 Active Bombs Found In 8 Days" The Fleet 2
Illuminati Just a quick question about the royal navy these days. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34
9 navy days 2011 Bases / Shore Est 6
soleil Western Gazette: "Carrier Shows Early Days Of Navy Flight" The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil Navy News: "Navy Days Spectacle Attracts 25,000 Visitors" Bases / Shore Est 1
soleil Navy Days 2010 Programme Available To Buy Online Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil Pathe Newsreel - Pompey - Navy Days - 1969 History 8
soleil Navy News: "Brilliant Days for HMS Walney" The Fleet 0
soleil Navy News: "Holland Days for HMS Ocean" The Fleet 1
soleil Navy News: "Training Days finally over for Torbay" Submariners 0
G HMS INTREPID BOOK AND EXHIBITION - Navy Days 2010 History 0
soleil Portsmouth: Navy Days 2010: July 30th and 31st, August 1st Bases / Shore Est 23
scouse Pompey Navy days Current Affairs 50
B Navy Days Current Affairs 7
Lynx101 Meet Your Navy 08/Navy Days (merged and moved) Social & Reunions 14
Topaz Navy Days Diamond Lil's 11
pompeyexpat No more Navy Days. Current Affairs 11
Chicogiz Navy days 08 The Quarterdeck 15
T Navy Days Current Affairs 9
onions Portsmouth Navy Days. Current Affairs 9
Chicogiz Navy days 07 Submariners 32
S Navy days Diamond Lil's 0
D Navy Days 2006 Social & Reunions 11
M Questions regarding the Royal Navy Medical Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
Blue_Water_Jack Navy News December 2020 The Quarterdeck 0
MoD_RSS Statutory Instrument on Royal Navy Police enforcement powers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Red letter day for Royal Navy in Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Royal Navy warships monitor significant Russian presence close to UK waters MoD News 0
J Navy Lies The Quarterdeck 21
higthepig Navy news November 2020 The Quarterdeck 0
MoD_RSS World-class autonomous minehunters to protect Royal Navy MoD News 1
AccessHeritage Royal Navy's Use of The Infernal Machine History 19
MoD_RSS Royal Navy warship sails into Arctic Circle for High North operation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Royal Navy concludes first joint exercises with Egypt MoD News 0
N royal navy medical appeal alcohol Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
higthepig Navy news October 2020 The Quarterdeck 0
mikh Navy Net asks for your consent to use your personal data to: Bloody Computers 9
MoD_RSS Royal Navy seizes over 450kg in the largest methamphetamine drug bust in the Middle East MoD News 0
soleil FB: National Museum Of The Royal Navy: 215th Anniversary Of The Battle Of Trafalgar History 2
soleil FB: Royal Navy And Royal Marines Charity - Hosting Your Own Trafalgar Night/Pickle Night Dinner History 2
soleil Express: "Submarine Sparks Panic In Scotland As Onlookers Mistake Royal Navy Exercise For Fire" Submariners 2
sampost Jubilee Sailing Trust announces pioneering collaboration with the Royal Navy Sports and Adventure Training 2
soleil Royal Navy Recipients In The Queen's Birthday Honours List 2020 Current Affairs 2
soleil FB: Royal Navy And Royal Marines Charity: World Uckers Championship 2020 The Fleet 1
soleil The Times: "Life On The Ocean Wave: The Royal Navy Photographic Awards" The Fleet 1
soleil BBC: "HMS Queen Elizabeth: On board The Royal Navy's New Aircraft Carrier" The Fleet 0
MoD_RSS Royal Navy seize £160 million worth of drugs in the Caribbean MoD News 1
higthepig Navy news September 2020 The Quarterdeck 0
soleil NWE Mail: "Barrow Built Submarine Becomes Inaugural Winner Of A New Royal Navy Commendation" Submariners 2