Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Navy Days 2009

Polycell

War Hero
Thats it you see 'guns' how us 'oldies' managed where you sprogs can't.
I did a couple of Navy days back in the 60's and like I said it was done by the duty watch. Admittedly as duty LEM I was run raggied flashing up the radar making sure little erks didn't touch anything they weren't allowed to etc but we managed.
Perhaps you lot don't do duty watches anymore, I don't know. If there was a fire we put it out but then again we weren't a scruffy bunch of buggers that we left our mess decks looking like pigstys like it seems they do these day as was evident on the last Warship documentary hence we never had gear lying around to catch fire. It was all stowed away neatly.
As for clearing up well thats done after every one has buggered off.
So you are the only ones that go to sea, well suprisingly enough I did three foreign deployments two of 18 months thats eighteen months without coming home!!! and one of nine months two out the FES and one in Malta. I seemed to remember that we were always on the Intrepid out the FES when we went somewhere 'Open to visitors' and all done by the duty watch and we managed to get the ship tidy painted and floodlit (which us poor 'greenies' had to do!!)
So guns its been done before but don't let that stop you going to another 'Planning meeting' and tell everyone what a hard done by overworked under payed poor little bugger you are. :cry: :cry:
ROMFT!!
Whats BULW? and whats a POW(A)? Oh and FES is Far East Station!! but don't worry about that you'll never have to go out there unless the Japs flash up again!! :lol: :lol:
 

angry_mac

War Hero
Polycell, ever heard that 4 yorkshiremen sketch. In jest very funny, when its something similar espoused by a bitter twisted old matelot, very boring, suggest you keep your 'back in the day' dits to other bitter and twisted fools who still havent realised they been out of the mob now longer than they were ever in it. My grandad and his mates who served second world war in LCTs never spoke about there very spartan times, unlike you boring Cold War twats.
 

UncleAlbert

War Hero
Respect to you guns, you obviously know what you are talking about but when you use so many abbreviations no one else does…it`s like you are talking in code….
 

2badge_mango

War Hero
Now there's an idea! Perhaps we could have a thread, even a sticky, where current serving members could post translations of obscure acronyms for the benefit of us poor old buggars wot don't know nuffink!

2BM
 

Polycell

War Hero
angry_mac said:
Polycell, ever heard that 4 yorkshiremen sketch. In jest very funny, when its something similar espoused by a bitter twisted old matelot, very boring, suggest you keep your 'back in the day' dits to other bitter and twisted fools who still havent realised they been out of the mob now longer than they were ever in it. My grandad and his mates who served second world war in LCTs never spoke about there very spartan times, unlike you boring Cold War twats.
No never heard the dit about four Yorkshiremen, do tell!! :wink:
Sorry I 'bored' you.
Just seems to me that you lot that serve now do bugger all but moan all the time. It also just seems to me you join up do two days find that it ain't all sunshine and tea in bed and hand your notice in.
Embittered I may be but the reason being that the mob I served in I was proud to do so all you lot want to do is moan about it all the bloody time telling every one that you have to go to sea for a couple of weeks and expect the world and his wife to feel sorry for you.
So your Grandad was on LCTs etc and he never spoke about it a? So how come you know he was on LCTs?
Get over it you two badge F all gets some time in then come back and gob off!!!
 

joe_145

Lantern Swinger
This sound pretty good...according to aa route map...its a 3 hour journey from swindon...gotta be worth it i think though
 

WhiteRose

Lantern Swinger
Weather forecast is for a monsoon. Bloody hope that changes, it's a long way to go for a wet weekend. Why do I do it?

I'm still very sceptical about the choice of date but I suppose the bank holiday would've clashed with an Argyle home game, and now they're in the Championship, the crowds for that and Navy Days together would've been just too much ;)

A bit miffed too at the lack of foreign ships. You know, have a La Fayette parked next to Daring fora laff....

Really hope the bold choice of dates and all the organisation pays off and it's another good weekend.
 

angry_mac

War Hero
Polycell said:
angry_mac said:
Polycell, ever heard that 4 yorkshiremen sketch. In jest very funny, when its something similar espoused by a bitter twisted old matelot, very boring, suggest you keep your 'back in the day' dits to other bitter and twisted fools who still havent realised they been out of the mob now longer than they were ever in it. My grandad and his mates who served second world war in LCTs never spoke about there very spartan times, unlike you boring Cold War twats.
No never heard the dit about four Yorkshiremen, do tell!! :wink:
Sorry I 'bored' you.
Just seems to me that you lot that serve now do bugger all but moan all the time. It also just seems to me you join up do two days find that it ain't all sunshine and tea in bed and hand your notice in.
Embittered I may be but the reason being that the mob I served in I was proud to do so all you lot want to do is moan about it all the bloody time telling every one that you have to go to sea for a couple of weeks and expect the world and his wife to feel sorry for you.
So your Grandad was on LCTs etc and he never spoke about it a? So how come you know he was on LCTs?
Get over it you two badge F all gets some time in then come back and gob off!!!

Ah back in the day when the Navy was filled with non technical [email protected], glad I joined in 89 when being a matelot actually requires some basis of education. 2009 -1989, seems Ive earnt more than 2 badges. Well if you count the ones Ive lost as well.
 

IDOITDEEPER

War Hero
Polycell said:
Thats it you see 'guns' how us 'oldies' managed where you sprogs can't.
I did a couple of Navy days back in the 60's and like I said it was done by the duty watch. Admittedly as duty LEM I was run raggied flashing up the radar making sure little erks didn't touch anything they weren't allowed to etc but we managed.
Perhaps you lot don't do duty watches anymore, I don't know. If there was a fire we put it out but then again we weren't a scruffy bunch of buggers that we left our mess decks looking like pigstys like it seems they do these day as was evident on the last Warship documentary hence we never had gear lying around to catch fire. It was all stowed away neatly.
As for clearing up well thats done after every one has buggered off.
So you are the only ones that go to sea, well suprisingly enough I did three foreign deployments two of 18 months thats eighteen months without coming home!!! and one of nine months two out the FES and one in Malta. I seemed to remember that we were always on the Intrepid out the FES when we went somewhere 'Open to visitors' and all done by the duty watch and we managed to get the ship tidy painted and floodlit (which us poor 'greenies' had to do!!)
So guns its been done before but don't let that stop you going to another 'Planning meeting' and tell everyone what a hard done by overworked under payed poor little bugger you are. :cry: :cry:
ROMFT!!
Whats BULW? and whats a POW(A)? Oh and FES is Far East Station!! but don't worry about that you'll never have to go out there unless the Japs flash up again!! :lol: :lol:

Same old, same old. Pissed stained old soaks bleating on and on and on about matters they no longer know anything about.

I really do despair
IDOITDEEPER
 
There were a number fo reasons why the date was chosen, but primarily it was to ensure that we could secure as many assets as possile (particularly HMS Daring). Tickets sales seem to be unaffected and are on a par with 2006 (the last time Navy Days was held in Plymouth).
 

WhiteRose

Lantern Swinger
A-ha! The Plymouth Air Day/Fly Past is on Thursday! Co-ordinated? Shurely shome mishtake!

Look here, gentlemen, give the organisers a break. We know RNC are desperate to show off their new shiny piece of kit and so why not move Navy Days to suit her movements? Although for RN Past and Present in Pompey, Daring was "subject to operational requirements", it said so on all the signs.

Priorities here, people: floating PR machine or fighting ship gagging to get into service? The sooner Dauntless arrives and takes over PR duties, the better.

Sorry, goat got. It'll be the same when the new carrier(s) arrive.
 
Buck-Buckwell said:
I served on HM s/m Courageous from 1980 - 1984, L/S(TS)(SM)I want to go see her in Devonport Navy Days 2009. Problem is I'm confined to a wheelchair, is there any way I can get to the Dock she is in? I also want some photos of how she has been re-fitted. Any chance?


Hello Buck,

If you have not seen it already please have a look at:

http://www.hmscourageous.co.uk/index.html

Quote >>>>......The web site of the H.M.S. Courageous Society which was founded in 2000 to bring together old friends and crew mates who had, at one time or another, served in the Royal Navy Fleet Submarine, H.M.S. Courageous.<<<<<<Unquote
 

Seadog

War Hero
Moderator
NavyDays2009, questions/points for you here:

How Much!?

Not everyone is pleased at being charged (so much) to enter HM Naval Base. I wanted to see a warship, not buy one. :lol:

Service charities had to pay to have a stand, albeit discounted. WTF???!!! :evil:
 

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
IDOITDEEPER said:
Polycell said:
Thats it you see 'guns' how us 'oldies' managed where you sprogs can't.
I did a couple of Navy days back in the 60's and like I said it was done by the duty watch. Admittedly as duty LEM I was run raggied flashing up the radar making sure little erks didn't touch anything they weren't allowed to etc but we managed.
Perhaps you lot don't do duty watches anymore, I don't know. If there was a fire we put it out but then again we weren't a scruffy bunch of buggers that we left our mess decks looking like pigstys like it seems they do these day as was evident on the last Warship documentary hence we never had gear lying around to catch fire. It was all stowed away neatly.
As for clearing up well thats done after every one has buggered off.
So you are the only ones that go to sea, well suprisingly enough I did three foreign deployments two of 18 months thats eighteen months without coming home!!! and one of nine months two out the FES and one in Malta. I seemed to remember that we were always on the Intrepid out the FES when we went somewhere 'Open to visitors' and all done by the duty watch and we managed to get the ship tidy painted and floodlit (which us poor 'greenies' had to do!!)
So guns its been done before but don't let that stop you going to another 'Planning meeting' and tell everyone what a hard done by overworked under payed poor little bugger you are. :cry: :cry:
ROMFT!!
Whats BULW? and whats a POW(A)? Oh and FES is Far East Station!! but don't worry about that you'll never have to go out there unless the Japs flash up again!! :lol: :lol:

Same old, same old. Pissed stained old soaks bleating on and on and on about matters they no longer know anything about.

I really do despair
IDOITDEEPER

Chin up IDOITDEEPER, you just know he's one of the old comrades who comes down the boat, drinks it dry whilst telling all and sundry "their not real matelots yada yada nagga ngga" besides I've down 4 or 5 Navy days and .......
 

Seadog

War Hero
Moderator
Out of interest, does anyone know where all this money goes to?

MoD Public Sub Account HMG 10.

The question about money was directed to NavyDays2009 a few posts ago. Assuming he or she speaks for the admin side of things, rather than just PR, hopefully an answer will be forthcoming.

Some of it shouldn't need explanation (shuttle buses-or did they charge?, MoD Plod and MGS overtime maybe, public indemnity perhaps) some of it does, service charities having to pay for space for stalls. :evil: Fume.

Not impressed that the events management 'consultants' seemed to be calling shots inside HMNB. Polite enough but whose dockyard is it, HM's or Events gurus' or ..... DML's?
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Navy Days 2009 Current Affairs 6
soleil ThisIsKent: "Navy To Sweep Sheppey Coast After 26 Active Bombs Found In 8 Days" The Fleet 2
Illuminati Just a quick question about the royal navy these days. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34
9 navy days 2011 Bases / Shore Est 6
soleil Western Gazette: "Carrier Shows Early Days Of Navy Flight" The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil Navy News: "Navy Days Spectacle Attracts 25,000 Visitors" Bases / Shore Est 1
soleil Navy Days 2010 Programme Available To Buy Online Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil Pathe Newsreel - Pompey - Navy Days - 1969 History 8
soleil Navy News: "Brilliant Days for HMS Walney" The Fleet 0
soleil Navy News: "Holland Days for HMS Ocean" The Fleet 1
soleil Navy News: "Training Days finally over for Torbay" Submariners 0
G HMS INTREPID BOOK AND EXHIBITION - Navy Days 2010 History 0
soleil Portsmouth: Navy Days 2010: July 30th and 31st, August 1st Bases / Shore Est 23
scouse Pompey Navy days Current Affairs 50
B Navy Days Current Affairs 7
Lynx101 Meet Your Navy 08/Navy Days (merged and moved) Social & Reunions 14
Topaz Navy Days Diamond Lil's 11
pompeyexpat No more Navy Days. Current Affairs 11
Chicogiz Navy days 08 The Quarterdeck 15
T Navy Days Current Affairs 9
onions Portsmouth Navy Days. Current Affairs 9
Chicogiz Navy days 07 Submariners 32
S Navy days Diamond Lil's 0
D Navy Days 2006 Social & Reunions 11
MoD_RSS £230 million contract to bolster Royal Navy torpedoes MoD News 0
M Questions regarding the Royal Navy Medical Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
Blue_Water_Jack Navy News December 2020 The Quarterdeck 0
MoD_RSS Statutory Instrument on Royal Navy Police enforcement powers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Red letter day for Royal Navy in Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Royal Navy warships monitor significant Russian presence close to UK waters MoD News 0
J Navy Lies The Quarterdeck 21
higthepig Navy news November 2020 The Quarterdeck 0
MoD_RSS World-class autonomous minehunters to protect Royal Navy MoD News 1
AccessHeritage Royal Navy's Use of The Infernal Machine History 19
MoD_RSS Royal Navy warship sails into Arctic Circle for High North operation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Royal Navy concludes first joint exercises with Egypt MoD News 0
N royal navy medical appeal alcohol Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
higthepig Navy news October 2020 The Quarterdeck 0
mikh Navy Net asks for your consent to use your personal data to: Bloody Computers 9
MoD_RSS Royal Navy seizes over 450kg in the largest methamphetamine drug bust in the Middle East MoD News 0
soleil FB: National Museum Of The Royal Navy: 215th Anniversary Of The Battle Of Trafalgar History 2
soleil FB: Royal Navy And Royal Marines Charity - Hosting Your Own Trafalgar Night/Pickle Night Dinner History 2
soleil Express: "Submarine Sparks Panic In Scotland As Onlookers Mistake Royal Navy Exercise For Fire" Submariners 2
sampost Jubilee Sailing Trust announces pioneering collaboration with the Royal Navy Sports and Adventure Training 2
soleil Royal Navy Recipients In The Queen's Birthday Honours List 2020 Current Affairs 2
soleil FB: Royal Navy And Royal Marines Charity: World Uckers Championship 2020 The Fleet 1
soleil The Times: "Life On The Ocean Wave: The Royal Navy Photographic Awards" The Fleet 1
soleil BBC: "HMS Queen Elizabeth: On board The Royal Navy's New Aircraft Carrier" The Fleet 0
MoD_RSS Royal Navy seize £160 million worth of drugs in the Caribbean MoD News 1
higthepig Navy news September 2020 The Quarterdeck 0
Similar threads


















































Latest Threads

New Posts

Top